U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:45 PM

208 posts, read 355,867 times
Default What do you know about Sherman Oaks? I MIGHT be moving there.

So I'm apartment hunting in the Valley. An area I know nothing about.
I'm originally from Seattle and I lived and worked in Santa Monica for years.
I'll be working in the Valley and looking for a home in the Valley.
I found this lovely 3 bedroom apartment that I fell in love with today. But I know nothing about Sherman Oaks.
Is it safe? Is the crime a problem? What is life like in Sherman Oaks. What's the scene like?
Any information about Sherman Oaks would help a lot. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 09:02 PM

35 posts, read 24,104 times
I've never lived there, but I used to drive through there all the time to work. I get the impression it's very safe. I think the most likely possibility is property crime, but it doesn't seem like a place you'll run into violence. I really like it, and I would consider living there myself, but it adds a lot of commute time if you're driving south into Santa Monica.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaughanWilliams33 View Post
I've never lived there, but I used to drive through there all the time to work. I get the impression it's very safe. I think the most likely possibility is property crime, but it doesn't seem like a place you'll run into violence. I really like it, and I would consider living there myself, but it adds a lot of commute time if you're driving south into Santa Monica.
My new job is in Woodland Hills. I won't be working in SM anymore. Gonna miss the water!
All I know is that James Dean used to live in Sherman Oaks. That's all I know about it so far.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:10 PM

35 posts, read 24,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspyder136 View Post
My new job is in Woodland Hills. I won't be working in SM anymore. Gonna miss the water!
All I know is that James Dean used to live in Sherman Oaks. That's all I know about it so far.
I wouldn't mind that myself. The ocean is cool, but Santa Monica sucks to work in. It's always so packed and parking is hard to find sometimes. I find people in Santa Monica are also more rude than other places in L.A., but that's just my experience.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 PM

14,755 posts, read 14,505,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspyder136 View Post
Rather work in Woodland Hills than work in Santa Monica. Good for you! I like the West Valley. Sherman Oaks has always been a good address, and I believe continues to be so today. I think that if you go a little north and a little east, into Van Nuys or the Sun Valley/Sunland area, that changes in a BIG WAY.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:54 PM

6,182 posts, read 11,601,957 times
i work in sherman oaks, it's a great neighborhood. the area around ventura is just as urban and happening as anywhere in santa monica (except for the promenade), it just gets considerably warmer in the summer.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:10 AM

76 posts, read 87,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Rather work in Woodland Hills than work in Santa Monica. Good for you! I like the West Valley. Sherman Oaks has always been a good address, and I believe continues to be so today. I think that if you go a little north and a little east, into Van Nuys or the Sun Valley/Sunland area, that changes in a BIG WAY.
Just so there's no confusion, Sherman Oaks is the east valley. And yes, it's safe for the most part. Just take precaution and don't leave valuables in your car in view.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:20 AM

5,097 posts, read 9,995,671 times
Sherman Oaks can be nice, but like everywhere else in the Valley, it can vary from street to street. Stay away from apartment buildings that accept Section 8, and be wary of scams if you're using Craigslist. Also, a lot of the older buildings have only one parking space per apartment, so street parking can be a nightmare. If you stay along the 101 corridor, you should be fine, but I wouldn't go north of Burbank Blvd. The streets south of Ventura Blvd. are usually pretty nice, but those also feature the most expensive apartments. Good luck with your search!

There are a lot of car break-ins around here, and you can't leave anything out unless you want it to be stolen (bicycles, for example), but rapes, muggings, etc. aren't crimes you're going to have to worry about as long as you use your head. Graffiti has become a problem, so you might surprise a tagger if you're out wandering the streets at 3:00 a.m.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:29 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,375,731 times
It would help if you gave at least an approximate address. Sherman Oaks, as noted, can vary from area to area. It's just one section of the San Fernando Valley in the City of Los Angeles, and you won't know (except for maybe a sign) when you pass into Studio City or Van Nuys, etc. Rather than talking about "the scene" in Sherman Oaks, better to talk about the scene in the general area, and you'd need to specify what type of scene you're interested in. It's a short drive to Burbank and other areas and, if not in rush hour, over the Hollywood Hills to Hollywood, etc. It is suburbia.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
It would help if you gave at least an approximate address. Sherman Oaks, as noted, can vary from area to area. It's just one section of the San Fernando Valley in the City of Los Angeles, and you won't know (except for maybe a sign) when you pass into Studio City or Van Nuys, etc. Rather than talking about "the scene" in Sherman Oaks, better to talk about the scene in the general area, and you'd need to specify what type of scene you're interested in. It's a short drive to Burbank and other areas and, if not in rush hour, over the Hollywood Hills to Hollywood, etc. It is suburbia.
This is the apartment I was thinking of buying. Would this be in a good area?
You can only tell so much of an area during the daytime when it is quiet and everyone is at work.

4637 WILLIS Ave #302, Sherman Oaks, CA 91403 | MLS# F12040803
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles