Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 10:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,727 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I recently got a job around LAX area, and now, I am looking for a good place to live for next few years. I want to find a place, where it is nice and safe.

I found that the closest cities are Playa del Rey, and Marina del Rey, but when I read the apartment ratings from various websites, it seems like both have problems with thieves, like they break the apartment and enter or steal the car, or etc. Even when I looked at crimeports.com, I was a little bit scared to live in there. Is it really thought? Anyway, I couldn't find a lot from Manhattan beach, and also El Segundo sounds okay but still, the apartment I was interested in, people talked about security problems.

I want to be bit away from it, so I was thinking about Santa Monica or Westwood area, but I also heard that traffic could be a problematic when I go and return from the work. Is it really bad with traffic, especially if I go to work 8am-5pm? Can anyone help me which city I should look for?
Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 11:08 PM

120 posts, read 479,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chun0216 View Post
Hello,
I recently got a job around LAX area, and now, I am looking for a good place to live for next few years. I want to find a place, where it is nice and safe.

I found that the closest cities are Playa del Rey, and Marina del Rey, but when I read the apartment ratings from various websites, it seems like both have problems with thieves, like they break the apartment and enter or steal the car, or etc. Even when I looked at crimeports.com, I was a little bit scared to live in there. Is it really thought? Anyway, I couldn't find a lot from Manhattan beach, and also El Segundo sounds okay but still, the apartment I was interested in, people talked about security problems.

I want to be bit away from it, so I was thinking about Santa Monica or Westwood area, but I also heard that traffic could be a problematic when I go and return from the work. Is it really bad with traffic, especially if I go to work 8am-5pm? Can anyone help me which city I should look for?
Thank you so much
what apartment ratings site discloses crime and "thieves" activity?

Old 04-15-2012, 11:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2006 View Post
what apartment ratings site discloses crime and "thieves" activity?
I saw some from apartmentratings.com and also yelp. Are these reliable? Any suggestion?

Old 04-16-2012, 10:05 AM

135 posts, read 285,092 times
All of Los Angeles has crime. The key is to find a building/apartment with good security and just be prudent. Don't over think it.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:59 AM

1,626 posts, read 4,012,071 times
The southern part of Santa Monica (south of I10) is about as far north as I'd go working 8-5. Pretty much anything south of there would be a reasonable commuting distance. Most of the people I know who work by LAX recommend the South Bay (Manhattan/Hermosa/Redondo/Torrance). I also really like El Segundo if you want safe and quiet, especially the area west of Main St.

Apartmentratings.com has a strong negative bias in my experience so take it with a grain of salt. Don't leave anything of value in plain view in your car or install an aftermarket stereo and thieves will have no reason to break into it.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:14 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,584,055 times
Déjà vu

Best places to live near LAX?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles