U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 11:16 AM

6 posts, read 25,510 times
Default Cal State University

I'd like opinions as to which is better Cal State Fullerton or Cal State Northridge? Which is more respected in LA. I'm out of state and would like to study tv production. Which is a better town, Fullerton or Northridge.?

Thank You!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 12:34 PM

3,206 posts, read 8,714,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMUR22 View Post
I'd like opinions as to which is better Cal State Fullerton or Cal State Northridge? Which is more respected in LA. I'm out of state and would like to study tv production. Which is a better town, Fullerton or Northridge.?

Thank You!
CSU's arent so great if you have the grades to get into a UC. What are your grades and test scores?

Fullerton is a better college, but the cities are pretty equal.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:50 PM

707 posts, read 2,228,733 times
Fullerton is not in Los Angeles county its in Orange County. As for which CSU is more respected in Los Angeles I would have to say Cal State Northridge and Cal State Long Beach are out of the all the Cal States in L.A. which are Cal State Los Angeles, Cal State Dominguez Hills, Cal State Northridge, Cal State Long Beach and Cal State Poly Pomona. Going back to Fullerton, I think its a pretty good school although Ive never visited the campus I have been to Fullerton and its about the same to Northridge and its surrounding areas.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:32 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,642,988 times
I attended 2 years at UCLA and 2 years at CSUF. I disagree that UC system is "better". More prestigious? Yes. Better funded? Yes. More fun? Yes. But in terms of practical education for people who want real jobs, CSU system is superior, at least for your average joe. My husband is an alum from UCLA with a degree in physics and it's served him exceedingly well since he was in a hard science and not a liberal art or soft science, because the prestige does you well there. But most people I know with arts, liberal arts or soft science degrees struggled to get more than a 30 or 40k starting salary because they had no practical knowledge, while people I knew from CSUF had more access to practical instructors, internships, etc.

Fullerton is a better town. Northridge might have a slight edge in terms of being respected in Los Angeles due to greater name recognition/more alumni in the area. I don't think it'd make a huge difference either way though.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,474 times
Can someone provide information about tuition/rm and board for California residents? I have heard that after you have established residency for 12 Months (?) the costs drop dramatically.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:34 PM

119 posts, read 569,649 times
Fullerton is a very good school for TV production so is Northridge. Dr. Edward Fink is the Department Chair and is a very good instructor. Dr. Larry Ward and Dr. Lynn Gross does film and television(primarily film). I attended there years ago. Some instructors at Fullerton worked in Hollywood too.

Northridge also has good department. The school has some instructors who worked in Hollywood in both movie and TV production. Northridge is being in San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles it's closer to the studios and production houses gives the school a slight edge. However both schools are overshadowed by USC.

Nothridge has the advantage of being a short drive to Santa Monica, Malibu, Hollywood; and the nightlife LA has. Fullerton is close to Downtown Disney, Huntington, Newport and Laguna Beaches. Nightlife there is nothing like LA but you can check out the Orange County Register about things to do The Orange County Register for more.

Rent may be about the same so look for roommates.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by hgclyde; 09-16-2007 at 02:45 PM..

Old 09-16-2007, 04:40 PM

83 posts, read 139,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
CSU's arent so great if you have the grades to get into a UC. What are your grades and test scores?
That's an old misconception. I've attended a CSU and I'm far more intelligent and better educated than my colleagues who attended UC's for engineering.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:11 PM

26,365 posts, read 51,689,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Brunolesci View Post
I've attended a CSU and I'm far more intelligent and better educated than my colleagues who attended UC's for engineering.
As vain as it sounds, this post has a lot of truth.

However, any inspection of admission data of UC & CS engineering schools will reveal higher SAT, ACT, & GPA at the UC schools. I doubt anyone would contend this.

In engineering it comes down to attitude.

Do you have the basic skills?

Are you willing to learn new skills?

Do you care?

Do you like your job?

Are you a good fit?

Old 09-16-2007, 07:41 PM

332 posts, read 1,433,461 times
any engineering school is tough, which is why it's known as the 5 year major. if you don't fail your first year, you probably didn't take enough classes needed to finish in 4 years.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:44 AM

83 posts, read 139,567 times
Why bother with engineering, though, given all the jobs that have gone overseas and all the jobs reserved for H-1B visa employees? I'm currently in real estate, like my UC friends who also majored in CS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles