U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:50 PM

4,931 posts, read 2,933,979 times

Advertisements

I live by Glendale and always assumed it was part of LA. Burbank too. Just seems too conjoined with LA to not be part of it.

Figured they were always like the boroughs in new York city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 08:52 PM

13,227 posts, read 24,316,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I live by Glendale and always assumed it was part of LA. Burbank too. Just seems too conjoined with LA to not be part of it.

Figured they were always like the boroughs in new York city.
Um, no.

LA, Glendale, and Burbank are all their own incorporated cities. More like, New York City, Yonkers, and White Plains.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:54 PM

9,197 posts, read 13,968,354 times
LA is what is between TX, AR, and MS.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:10 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,428,575 times
http://www.laalmanac.com/geography/ge30ba.htm

Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 PM

6,237 posts, read 15,407,843 times
Thank you, Mayorhaggar, for posting an image of L.A. County, with the actual City of Los Angeles in white.

To the OP, yes, it's a bit confusing, but that's how the metropolitan L.A. area is.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:01 AM

29,125 posts, read 21,965,509 times
Los Angeles is so big and its boundaries are drawn in such away, that it is possible to be in downtown Los Angeles, and be just 3 miles from the city limits; one could also stand at a point 25 miles from downtown and still be inside the city limits. Look at the map mayorhaggar posted the link to and you will see why.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 PM

58 posts, read 131,757 times
There are 88 cities in Los Angeles county. It's a good item of trivia.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:23 AM

9,832 posts, read 7,648,787 times
Here's and odd tidbit--Anaheim is closer to DTLA than Canoga Park and Chatworth, two neighborhoods within L.A.'s city limits.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 04-26-2012 at 01:42 AM..

Old 04-26-2012, 01:15 AM

29,125 posts, read 21,965,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolberg View Post
There are 88 cities in Los Angeles county. It's a good item of trivia.
...and they are all searching for a center.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:10 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,751,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Thank you, Mayorhaggar, for posting an image of L.A. County, with the actual City of Los Angeles in white.

To the OP, yes, it's a bit confusing, but that's how the metropolitan L.A. area is.
An excellent map. I'd like to see it for the entire So Cal area. It could be useful to many tourists planning visits.

Many people who live in the area aren't clear on the exact differences between the City of Los Angeles and County of Los Angeles, and the many cities other than L.A. that are within the county (and the unincorporated areas that aren't in any city, even if they are known by a particular name). For many, Los Angeles is a catch-all name for much of Southern California, including not only the aforementioned areas, but also adjoining counties. And much of it (that's of concern to tourists) is all on big metropolis, with gaps here and there. People will ask "where in L.A." they should stay to be central to "all attractions," when they may be going to Universal Studios (which is called Universal Studios Hollywood, even though it's technically in Universal City, not Hollywood), Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Hollywood, and Disneyland.

It is confusing, and boundaries change (e.g., what used to be unincorporated area is now the City of West Hollywood). Imagine when a visitor or recent arrival wants to call police. Los Angeles City Police? Beverly Hills? Burbank? Los Angeles County Sheriffs have jurisdiction in unincorporated areas (except for freeways, where the CHP handles many things), but also in some cities that contract our their police work to the county.

My sister lives in Upland. That's San Bernardino County, but if a visitor drives through the area they wouldn't know it unless they happened to see the small sign on the freeway. I think those landing at Ontario Airport see signs for both San Bernardino County and Los Angeles (a photo of L.A.'s mayor since the LA Airports Authority runs the place). Bob Hope Airport in Burbank used to be called Hollywood-Burbank-Pasadena Airport (maybe Glendale was also in the name).

I grew up in Van Nuys. Our mail was addressed Van Nuys. We told people in the area we were in Van Nuys, and people further away we were in L.A. (except when they were sending mail). At one point, while I went to UCLA, I lived in an apartment near the MGM Studios. I was technically in the City of L.A., but most of the street was in Culver City, and my mailing address was Culver City. Complicated when I went to vote.

So, confusing it is. I don't think someone not knowing all the intricacies is ignorant unless they've lived there a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles