Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 06:43 PM

29 posts, read 134,821 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I moved out here a little over a week ago. Despite having a BA from a good East Coast school (though it is in English Literature, Government), and excelling at all my previous jobs, I'm finding the job market a little bit tough because I don't have the streamlined, pre-packaged type of resume most employers are looking for. I've worked several different jobs (newspaper, finance) and don't really have enough experience in any one field — especially compared to the glut of job seekers out there — to give me the edge. I know I've only been out here for a few days, but I love it here and am getting a little worried and want to make sure I can stay out here.

I noticed today that there is a Groupon for 32 hours of training at ABC Bartending School. I have some friends who say it might be a good idea, and others who say it is more or less a scam where no one ever actually gets a job (despite the fact that the school has a job placement service).

Has anyone "graduated" bartending school and found decent employment in LA afterwards? Or are all the bars/restaurants only willing to hire people with several years of experience? I live in the West Hollywood/Hollywood area and can't help but notice the ridiculous amount of eateries and watering holes.

I know I'd enjoy the work since I don't mind working late/strange hours, love to mingle with people and absolutely hate spending the day in a cubicle. I just can't decide if bartending school has any chance of leading to a gig, so I'm hoping someone with experience could shed some light on the subject?

Thanks,
Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 07:14 PM

26,720 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_k View Post
Has anyone "graduated" bartending school and found decent employment in LA afterwards?
Here's an older thread on it but I would say that things haven't changed much here in terms of employment in this field. (My nephew, who attended bartending school in the L.A. area, was given very few leads and didn't ever find a bartender job. I'm not sure how hard he pursued it after the first couple of months.) http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...ng-school.html

Old 04-26-2012, 07:29 PM

29 posts, read 134,821 times
Thank you for that thread! I should have done a search first.

It's definitely not looking like the way to go. It seems more plausible to try to get a job as a barback somewhere and work your way up from there.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:13 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,608,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_k View Post
Thank you for that thread! I should have done a search first.

It's definitely not looking like the way to go. It seems more plausible to try to get a job as a barback somewhere and work your way up from there.
I doubt anyone starts at the top/
Get the morning to noon jobs first and work up to Fri and Sat nights.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 7,104 times
Have you tried checking out Los Angeles Jobs: Find Jobs In Los Angeles | Shiftgig ? There's tons of postings for places looking for bartenders, so you know where to start looking!

Old 09-26-2013, 06:06 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,304,393 times
A lot of bartenders start out as barbacks or waiters, then work their way up.

It's not easy becoming a bartender. It's a lucrative, highly sought after job, especially in this city.

In addition to working your way up, you often have to look good (don't have to be a model, but it doesn't hurt) and have great people skills.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:46 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,448,225 times
Wonder what some of these bartenders make per hour including tips in la .

Of course it varies depending on how busy the place is

With all these craft beer bars in LA it seems like it would be easier working in one of those versus a mixing drinks .

I've thought being bartender might be cool , but it does seem quite demanding .

Old 09-26-2013, 10:42 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,304,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Wonder what some of these bartenders make per hour including tips in la .

Of course it varies depending on how busy the place is

With all these craft beer bars in LA it seems like it would be easier working in one of those versus a mixing drinks .

I've thought being bartender might be cool , but it does seem quite demanding .
I've seen bartenders make hundreds an hour. Of course, they usually aren't working more than 4 hours on a shift and those are the prime weekend shifts. But average bartender salary can be high five figure, or low six figures.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:06 PM

497 posts, read 1,503,531 times
Most places want to know where you worked rather than what courses you took. Like others mentioned, best to start at some low key place like a hotel etc and try and land better jobs.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:53 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,448,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
I've seen bartenders make hundreds an hour. Of course, they usually aren't working more than 4 hours on a shift and those are the prime weekend shifts. But average bartender salary can be high five figure, or low six figures.
Wow that's pretty nice for an average salary .especially considering many are able to take advantage of opportunities during the day .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles