Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 01:36 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times

Advertisements

I wanna see some rooftop views, and even see if I can get into some abandoned buildings in the city.

Anyone ever tried this? On the photo thread, I've seen some recent pics that showed some rooftop views.

IF it's not a good idea to go into abandoned ones, what are some buildings that let you go to the roof?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 02:16 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,022 times
Troll, it appears. No one would ask if it's a good idea to go into an abandoned building (obviously unsafe and illegal). If they were going to do it, anyway, they'd just do it. If somehow you're serious, I'd start with management of individual buildings you're interested in, and organizations that conduct architectural tours, such as the L.A. Conservancy (Los Angeles Conservancy:). Tour leaders, and maybe even people in the LAC offices, may be able to give you an idea how to get access to roofs, etc. One of their tours, given twice a month, is entitled "Downtown's Modern Skyline" and includes visits to several tall buildings. You'd have to contact the Conservancy to see if it includes visits to roofs.

Here's a video of people getting a tour of the roof of the City Hall (Jan Perry is, or was, an L.A. City Councilwoman, so if you're a voter in the City of L.A., maybe you could contact your councilperson, or, lacking that, see if city hall has a public affairs office): L.A. City Hall Tour - YouTube

Old 05-09-2012, 04:53 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
Troll, it appears. No one would ask if it's a good idea to go into an abandoned building (obviously unsafe and illegal). If they were going to do it, anyway, they'd just do it. If somehow you're serious, I'd start with management of individual buildings you're interested in, and organizations that conduct architectural tours, such as the L.A. Conservancy (Los Angeles Conservancy:). Tour leaders, and maybe even people in the LAC offices, may be able to give you an idea how to get access to roofs, etc. One of their tours, given twice a month, is entitled "Downtown's Modern Skyline" and includes visits to several tall buildings. You'd have to contact the Conservancy to see if it includes visits to roofs.

Here's a video of people getting a tour of the roof of the City Hall (Jan Perry is, or was, an L.A. City Councilwoman, so if you're a voter in the City of L.A., maybe you could contact your councilperson, or, lacking that, see if city hall has a public affairs office):
L.A. City Hall Tour - YouTube
This guy has posted more on the LA forum than anyone else in the last few months - definitely not a troll

Old 05-09-2012, 05:18 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Sorry, I meant legally and safely. Not looking to be charged with breaking and entering.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:04 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Sorry, I meant legally and safely. Not looking to be charged with breaking and entering.
Super. Besides the L.A. Conservancy, there may be a city office dealing with permits for professional photographers to gain access to locations not generally open to the public. You might check Still Photography and Permits on US and California Public Land (skip down to section on the City of Los Angeles). It says "Fïlm L.A., Inc." (FilmL.A., Inc.). Even if they deal mainly with movies, they might give you ideas, as an amateur or freelance professional. For private buildings, building management would seem the source to consult.

And in a few cases, you might gain access to a rooftop for the cost of a drink or meal: Unique Rooftop Meeting Venues in Los Angeles - LA Inc (several interesting rooftops listed at the bottom of the page; if that doesn't get you high enough up the building, you could ask the folks there about special access)

Old 05-10-2012, 10:11 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,288 times
Well Chicano3000: To give you some perspective on how downtown has changed I will tell you a true story. 20 years or so ago when i was in college I went to a rave held in an abandoned building in Downtown.

As I recall it, there was a flyer (pre-internet marketing) which instructed you to look for a guy dressed like the Grinch near 9th/Figureroa (near the Pantry). Sure enough there was a guy in a Grinch suit who then instructed you on where to go for the real party. I don't recall which building but it was definitely NOT in the financial district. It was somewhere in the present day Fashion/Wholesale district. The building was several stories high and had really high ceilings. The party went on until about midnight when the fire department came and shut it down. It was definitely illegal and held in an abandoned building. But there was music and lots of people in outlandish costumes, etc.

These days the old buildings like this have become real, legit drinking and night club establishments. Places like the edison:
The Edison ... living history in Downtown Los Angeles

I am sure parties/raves like this still happen but there are fewer buildings from which to choose as more and more of the historic stock has been renovated and placed into service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: