U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 09:12 AM

13 posts, read 33,551 times

Advertisements

I am from Cape Cod MA and just graduated from college with a degree in accounting from a school in PA. My friend is moving to the LA area within the next couple weeks and I plan on moving there around August to live with her. I'm a real laid back girl, I love the beach, I surf, longboard, play collegiate volleyball. So one of the questions would be is it easy enough to find a volleyball club/league. Is the accounting job market ok out there? I may also just plan on being a waitress or something for a while till I get my footing.

Another thing I am worried about is the cost of living. Like I mentioned I am from Cape Cod, so the cost of living is pretty high there, but being a recent college grad I'm not trying to blow all my money in a year. The apartments I've been looking at actually aren't too outrageous. I'm mostly worried about everyday expenses such as gas, shampoo, food. Are there cheap places to shop for groceries and other essentials?

Also any tips or advice you have for someone my age moving to the LA area? Like I mentioned I am moving out with a friend but we aren't that close, shes not my best friend or anything. Also how easy is it to make friends? I'm pretty shy so that is also another concern of mine.

I am moving to California because its something ive always wanted to do and I have the opportunity to. I don't want to move home and never explore what else is out there. I'm all for adventure and experiencing new things even though it may be hard at first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 01:35 PM

29,578 posts, read 31,855,660 times
You have a degree in accounting so the first thing is to look for a job in your field and not waste time looking for a waitress gig...which isn't always easy to get. Daily stuff like shampoo is not going to be your problem. Come with a couple months of rent/living expenses and go from there. You will meet people the way everyone does, through work, friends of friends, maybe in your neighborhood. After you get that settled you can find time/money for your hobbies.

If you just come here for low level part time jobs and beach vollyball in mind you are probably looking at more of a temp vaca and not actually a move to LA. That's fine too, just have a bankroll and don't bail on your lease.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:08 PM

3,552 posts, read 5,371,318 times
or you could hang out at the beach playing beach volleyball all day long and hope one day a scout for the US olympic team drops by, sees you and recruits you. Hey, that's how it happened for Misty May...no, not really

Old 05-16-2012, 06:15 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,665,300 times
If I were you, I'd try to find a job in your field so you can get good experience - whether that means living in LA or not, it just depends where you find a job. If you waitress, you'd be delaying the start of getting good experience. It's a lot easier to have fun in a place with a good job than it is to find a job in a place that is fun.

Please don't wear any boston sports garb either, red sox hats, celtics jerseys etc.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:35 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,600,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marissa12233 View Post
Also how easy is it to make friends?
I'm pretty shy so that is also another concern of mine.
That's easy: Overcome the part in bold.

P.S. it's perfectly acceptable to wear Red Sox gear when they're playing the hated Jankees.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post

P.S. it's perfectly acceptable to wear Red Sox gear when they're playing the hated Jankees.
Except they never play each other in California.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:00 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,600,944 times
On TV, dufus. At bars.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
On TV, dufus. At bars.

It's still not acceptable.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:35 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,978,288 times
Competition for server jobs is really high in Los Angeles. Lots of actors, models, musicians, and artists who need a day job. So yeah, you'd probably be better off spending your time looking for jobs in the field you really want to be in.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:21 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,111,750 times
Should be able to at least get an entry-level job in accounting, the good thing about it seems to be that pretty much every business on the planet needs an accountant. At least call up Accountemps and see if they can help you find some temp or direct-hire work to get you started. You say you're interested in Long Beach, it's a decent place to live and pretty affordable, but it doesn't seem to have a lot of good-paying jobs, has a lot of pockets of poverty, and it's kind of far from more prosperous areas. One good thing is that it's only about a 30 to 45 minute rush hour drive from most of Orange County, where there's a lot of decent jobs. In general though it's really best to find a job first then figure out where you want to live...living close to work is really the best thing to do so you don't have to fight through rush hour gridlock every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or