U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 02:48 PM

34 posts, read 30,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
How do you make friends where you're from?
Just by talking and sometimes I meet new friends through my friends but I'm not from LA I don't know how people think there. People here follow what is hot in LA. People with success move to LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 02:50 PM

7,472 posts, read 6,382,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyes22 View Post
tricks
That's one way many young ladies do it, but it may not be your cup of tea.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:42 PM

491 posts, read 1,165,015 times
You sound really young and naive, which makes moving to L.A. to be a "star" a BAAAAAAAD idea.

People will take advantage of you and you will probably end up in trouble. Many, many, many young men and women come here to be a star and never make it. Why do you think that is? Why do you think you will make it in such a ruthless, tough industry? Because you are pretty? Girl, stand in line. You've never seen so many pretty people in your life. Pretty, out-of-work people.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:59 PM

8,656 posts, read 5,403,389 times

Hollywood Boulevard (Celluloid Heroes by the Kinks) - YouTube

Old 05-18-2012, 04:02 PM

60 posts, read 109,435 times
Go make a sex tape like that Kardashian...jk

Old 05-18-2012, 04:04 PM

1,185 posts, read 857,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHapa View Post
You sound really young and naive, which makes moving to L.A. to be a "star" a BAAAAAAAD idea.

People will take advantage of you and you will probably end up in trouble. Many, many, many young men and women come here to be a star and never make it. Why do you think that is? Why do you think you will make it in such a ruthless, tough industry? Because you are pretty? Girl, stand in line. You've never seen so many pretty people in your life. Pretty, out-of-work people.
I never tried to be a celeb and I was an L.A. native out of work. Imagine being stuck in a city you don't know, with no one you know, and with no money in your pocket?

Old 05-18-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHapa View Post

How does informing me on forums make me a naive person? You are underestimating the value of information that the great members of this forum and many others are giving. I don't wanna sound arrogant but I'm actually talented. I believe in surrounding myself in a place of opportunities. If I had to listen to a person that makes quick ignorant judgements about someone they don't know than I'd be in the same boat as you just looking at everything from a negative perspective. There is some truth in what you say but if you didn't bother to read the full post you'd know that I do make music and I'm not just going to LA for my looks.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:48 PM

3,116 posts, read 3,893,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angeleyes22 View Post
I don't wanna sound arrogant but I'm actually talented.
There are thousands of people who come to LA each year who are insanely talented. Think of it this way - the most talented and beautiful, from each one of our fifty states, eventually ends up in LA. If you have real talent, that's a good first step, but you will be competing against literally hundreds of other just as talented people for everything. And most of them will have the right to work in this country legally, so producers won't have to jump through any hoops to book them - like they would if they want to hire someone like you, from another country.

The reason I chose to respond to this thread and give you the advice I did on the first page was because you said you have a well known U.K. producer backing you - which means you have connections that you can work - which is a huge plus! AND you said you were only coming out for three months - which is the equivalent of a working vacation - so you won't lose anything if things don't turn out as you hoped. If you were planning to come permanently, then my advice would have been much different!

Old 05-18-2012, 08:55 PM

2,262 posts, read 4,437,714 times
I usually hate the threads where commenters try to talk someone out of moving to LA to pursue their dreams... but in this case, they're warranted.

Moving to LA to become a successful musician, film maker, actor, etc.... I get. But you want to move here to become a "star" and that's a totally different thing. And it's not going to happen. ESPECIALLY not in 3 months (or in 12 months). Trust me on this. People here will see right through you. No celebrity wants to listen to your music or hear you talk about yourself. In fact, no one wants to hear you talk about yourself. They might pretend to in order to get into your pants or scam you out of money. I'm really not trying to be a jerk, here.

Now if your producer can hook you up with some meetings with the right people while you're out here... that's a different story. But you're not going to walk into a club and have some famous producer dude look at you from behind a velvet-roped VIP table, point to his bodyguard, and say "I'd like to meet her. She looks talented!" And why on EARTH do you think a celebrity would be interested in listening to your music if you showed up at their house? That sounds just... I mean... seriously crazy stalker. I'm not sure I buy this one at all.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I usually hate the threads where commenters try to talk someone out of moving to LA to pursue their dreams... but in this case, they're warranted.

Moving to LA to become a successful musician, film maker, actor, etc.... I get. But you want to move here to become a "star" and that's a totally different thing. And it's not going to happen. ESPECIALLY not in 3 months (or in 12 months). Trust me on this. People here will see right through you. No celebrity wants to listen to your music or hear you talk about yourself. In fact, no one wants to hear you talk about yourself. They might pretend to in order to get into your pants or scam you out of money. I'm really not trying to be a jerk, here.

Now if your producer can hook you up with some meetings with the right people while you're out here... that's a different story. But you're not going to walk into a club and have some famous producer dude look at you from behind a velvet-roped VIP table, point to his bodyguard, and say "I'd like to meet her. She looks talented!" And why on EARTH do you think a celebrity would be interested in listening to your music if you showed up at their house? That sounds just... I mean... seriously crazy stalker. I'm not sure I buy this one at all.
I can write or produce music for the celebrities. That's how the most famous acts started out. Bruno Mars was a songwriter first for example. Like it's not a good idea to become friends with celebrities who might believe in me and help launching my career. How many Billboard acts have their own record label constantly looking to sign refreshing talent? I'm not bragging neither do I say it will happen to me but please what a load of negativity here. And please if you can answer on the questions of my original post. I don't like it when people go off topic I think it's very disrespectful. I get false hope that someone responds on my questions and then a YouTube video pops up that has almost nothing to do with the original questions. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles