U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 07:44 AM

719 posts, read 285,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Oh gee I don't know, just every freaking movie about LA gangs, skid row, and mafia movies. Training Day, Colors, Rush Hour, half of the Quentin Tarantino films. The OC, 90210, Melrose, etc.

What movie or tv show doesn't portay LA as a city that is only rich and poor with the latter half living in a mad max wasteland, while the former lives it up in excess? I know they're fiction but even the comedians joke about LA being this way.

Not to mention the mass exodus of Californians pouring into Texas.
I dont know about your other concerns, but you should have been able to draw a semblance of an answer to your question about the people by now. In just 2 pages of responses, you have effectively been called moron/moronic, along with a barrage of snarky, sarcastic remarks leveled at you. I would say the verdict is in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 08:00 AM

2,732 posts, read 2,010,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I dont know about your other concerns, but you should have been able to draw a semblance of an answer to your question about the people by now. In just 2 pages of responses, you have effectively been called moron/moronic, along with a barrage of snarky, sarcastic remarks leveled at you. I would say the verdict is in.
Exactly. I think just two people out of two pages were nice enough to lend some advice. Everyone else were thinking that being sarcastic and snarky on the net is supposed to give them cool points or something.

Haven't even been to LA and already getting LA treatment.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:23 AM

413 posts, read 1,075,589 times
Quote:
Oh gee I don't know, just every freaking movie about LA gangs, skid row, and mafia movies. Training Day, Colors, Rush Hour, half of the Quentin Tarantino films. The OC, 90210, Melrose, etc.
Pretty funny. A: half those shows don't show the "mad max wasteland" of LA -- they show pretty people having sex with one another. B: THEY'RE FICTION.

Anyway, Houston's crime rates are higher than LA's.

Quote:
What movie or tv show doesn't portay LA as a city that is only rich and poor with the latter half living in a mad max wasteland, while the former lives it up in excess?
Just for fun, looking at some of the stuff that showed up on basic cable in the last few weeks: Step Brothers. I Love You Man. 500 Days of Summer. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. Swingers. Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Bowfinger. The Graduate. And like four hundred others, including half the ones you mention: Melrose Place, 90210, The OC (even though it takes place in... THE OC, not LA). Since we're digging back a few decades for TV shows, how about we throw in Three's Company and the last two seasons of Laverne and Shirley as well.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:27 AM

413 posts, read 1,075,589 times
Quote:

Haven't even been to LA and already getting LA treatment.
I bet if I went to the Texas board and said "Hey, I'm thinking of moving to Texas, but I'm afraid of getting lynched by cowboys -- will that actually happen since it happens in the movies?" -- nobody would respond with derision.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumerian Feast View Post
Pretty funny. A: half those shows don't show the "mad max wasteland" of LA -- they show pretty people having sex with one another. B: THEY'RE FICTION.

Anyway, Houston's crime rates are higher than LA's.

Just for fun, looking at some of the stuff that showed up on basic cable in the last few weeks: Step Brothers. I Love You Man. 500 Days of Summer. Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. Swingers. Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Bowfinger. The Graduate. And like four hundred others, including half the ones you mention: Melrose Place, 90210, The OC (even though it takes place in... THE OC, not LA). Since we're digging back a few decades for TV shows, how about we throw in Three's Company and the last two seasons of Laverne and Shirley as well.
The shows with the pretty people and the upper middle class show a slice of life that's for the half of population, while the crazy criminal shows are the other half.

Anyways, I am not debating anything, I am showing you the skewered view the media gives off about LA.

Pretty people on one side.....abject poverty and crime on the other.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:52 AM

8,731 posts, read 4,877,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumerian Feast View Post
I bet if I went to the Texas board and said "Hey, I'm thinking of moving to Texas, but I'm afraid of getting lynched by cowboys -- will that actually happen since it happens in the movies?" -- nobody would respond with derision.
Exactly - I don't think the OP realizes how many people come to this board asking the exact same questions based on stereotypes from TV shows.

Most of the people I have encountered in LA have been just as nice as anywhere else.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Exactly - I don't think the OP realizes how many people come to this board asking the exact same questions based on stereotypes from TV shows.

Most of the people I have encountered in LA have been just as nice as anywhere else.
You're talking about the difference between an old western with cowboys set in the 1800s and movies that take place in present day and offer a bleak view of LA.

The point was TV does skewer people's image of the town and I was hoping there was not truth to it at all.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
You're talking about the difference between an old western with cowboys set in the 1800s and movies that take place in present day and offer a bleak view of LA.

The point was TV does skewer people's image of the town and I was hoping there was not truth to it at all.
There is a grain of truth, and that grain was larger in the previous decades...
But these days it seems the crime is fairly low (I live in a relatively scuzzy neighborhood and never feel in danger), and while there is a divide between the rich and the poor, there is certainly a middle class in LA - I'm part of it.

Nobody is going to judge you for being a normal person - just about everyone in this city of almost 4 million people is a "normal person". There are certainly more Honda Civics than Maseratis.

(BTW it wasn't me that said the thing about Westerns )

Old 05-18-2012, 10:05 AM

Well I am originally from Boston and the gap between the rich and poor is wide there too, so I am used to it.

Houston though is unique in that it's an affordable major city and you can be "middle class" with a 35k job and some credit/finance. The super rich stay in their own neighborhood and you almost never see them. So you can get away with murder in terms of living the high life.

I thought that maybe this rarely happens in LA.

Old 05-18-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Well I am originally from Boston and the gap between the rich and poor is wide there too, so I am used to it.

Houston though is unique in that it's an affordable major city and you can be "middle class" with a 35k job and some credit/finance. The super rich stay in their own neighborhood and you almost never see them. So you can get away with murder in terms of living the high life.

I thought that maybe this rarely happens in LA.
Yeah unless you are running up your credit card you will have to live a pretty normal life on 48k.

I also lived in Boston and LA is actually a less expensive city - ESPECIALLY when it comes to cheap eats/entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles