Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 05:42 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,063 times

Advertisements

OK, I know the unemployment problem in LA is bad but is it depression level bad?

And what I meant is that if push comes to shove would it be that monstrously difficult to land a ten dollar an hour gig at some retail, food or mall chain? I mean the lowest possible pay without venturing into illegal alien territory?

I have a job already lined up as does my fiance as we move to LA, but just in case one of these jobs falls through for whatever reason within the next month that we're living there, I want to make sure that either one of us can find a job to at least supplement one of our salaries.

From the horror stories that I hear I am thinking there are Harvard grads working at Quiznos or something.

I have experience, a degree from a reputable school, I'm only 28, would it be that hard to land a ten dollar an hour job? I don't even care if it's full time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 05:50 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,306 times
IMO, this is not a good place to get employment advice. The reason people recommend you have a job lined up before moving here is the high cost of living. When you're paying $1200-1500 a month for a 1BR apartment, plus food, gas etc. you'll burn through your savings at an alarming rate. $10/hour jobs are not hard to come by but that kind of money doesn't go very far out here.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:53 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,597,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
OK, I know the unemployment problem in LA is bad but is it depression level bad?

And what I meant is that if push comes to shove would it be that monstrously difficult to land a ten dollar an hour gig at some retail, food or mall chain? I mean the lowest possible pay without venturing into illegal alien territory?

I have a job already lined up as does my fiance as we move to LA, but just in case one of these jobs falls through for whatever reason within the next month that we're living there, I want to make sure that either one of us can find a job to at least supplement one of our salaries.

From the horror stories that I hear I am thinking there are Harvard grads working at Quiznos or something.

I have experience, a degree from a reputable school, I'm only 28, would it be that hard to land a ten dollar an hour job? I don't even care if it's full time.
No.

The unemployment problem among recent college grads stems from them thinking they should be landing marketing manager or advertising executive roles, making $75k, with zero true work experience.

I believe your only question is the one I highlighted in bold, above - if you're asking if you can get a $10/hour job working at Starbucks or a retail mall type store, you should be fine.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:03 PM

Oh thank god. The only reason I ask is because our jobs, while secure, are not immune to any budget cuts. Within a year one of us, thank God not both most likely, could be cut.

I knew that the unemployment problem was largely due to recent college grads too stuck up to take up a gig at Target or something. I understand your bitter about the economy being this way but take what you can get and build yourself back up.

With an income at 42k a year, no car payment, rent at 950 for us, and no student loans, I think we can easily stretch it in Burbank with a ten dollar and hour job at part time or full time, bringing in an extra 1k a month. We're fine with that. We're frugal as can be.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:29 PM

215 posts, read 490,943 times
If you are smart with your career you are statistically less likely to run in to problems. I moved out here fresh out of college and my salary has doubled since I moved out here. You have to be hungry to work hard, network, etc... Just make sure you hit the ground running with your new job and you should be ok. There are a lot of people in trouble with finances out here for various valid reasons, but there are also a good chunk of people who with a little luck and a lot of hard work have been able to make it even with the economic problems.

I am not saying I am special or anything because I am not, I went to a podunk public university in the Midwest. All I can tell you is that for me hard work and ability to take on new responsibilities outside of my job description + being in the right place at the right time has paid off to the tune of 3 promotions and raises in a year and 5 months.

Your spending habits and job industry will factor in as well. Good luck to you!

Old 05-27-2012, 06:39 PM

Thanks hockfan! I was just scared that if one of us ran into a snafu at work that it would be ok to have some supplemental income with a part time low wage job.

I was just under the impression that even those jobs are in flux and that Yale grads were taking them up because the economy was in a depression. I am glad to hear that that's not the case.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:48 PM

215 posts, read 490,943 times
There are people that cannot catch a break and its really a sad story, I feel for them. The luck part of the equation involves being in the right job/industry at the right time. I got lucky as I have a hybrid business & computer science degree and the entertainment industry happens to be ramping up to offer everything in digital file formats. There are similar stories all over the country in various industries. It sounds like you already have your foot in the door somewhere so the rest is up to you.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:22 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
There is no shortage of $10-hour hour jobs here. Plenty of retail and restaurant work.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:24 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
There is no shortage of $10-hour hour jobs here. Plenty of retail and restaurant work.
Friends started waiting tables for minimum plus tips... did ok till they found something better... also met a lot of interesting people.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:18 PM

I would suck at waiting tables. I would do retail first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles