U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 03:21 PM

3 posts, read 5,221 times

Advertisements

Hey, everyone.

My boyfriend and I, both in our mid-20s, will be moving to Los Angeles in the first week of August, as I will be attending AFI. I've done a ton of homework on the area, and am glad that AFI is located in Los Feliz, as it seems like a good area.

Anyway, he and I will only have one car, so we are looking for an apartment that's either in walking distance of the AFI campus (perhaps biking distance, though I don't have a bike at this time), or a place close to the Metro Red Line.

One of the apartments I'm considering is located at 1570 N. Edgemont Street, right next to Barnsdall Park, and very close to the Vermont/Sunset station. The zipcode is Los Feliz, but it's just south of Hollywood Blvd, so from what I can tell, is technically East Hollywood.

I've read that I should stay north of Hollywood Blvd, and that East Hollywood isn't a desirable area. However, the apartment has a Los Feliz zipcode and is right on the border, so I wasn't sure.

My boyfriend and I are from the suburbs, and parts of our county are very rural. I've never felt any concern for my safety growing up here. That said, my house is less than 30 minutes north of one of our country's most dangerous cities (Baltimore), and I'm constantly on high alert when I visit my friend's in the city, and always feel like I have to keep my head low and watch my back. I DO NOT want to have to live like that.

So, long story short...what do you guys think of the area around that address? Is it safe...or will I have to keep an eye on my surroundings at all times?

How about the Metro Red line...is it safe at night? or in general?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 03:42 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,074,116 times
That is right on the edge of Los Feliz and East Hollywood, though I would say it is in East Hollywood...

I'm not that familiar with the exact street but I have been in the area quite a few times, living south of Hollywood Blvd shouldn't be a problem, the area right around the Kaiser Hospital seems pretty decent, plus it seems like it is on the up-and-up. Only thing that sucks is it looks like AFI is at the top of the hill where Western turns into Los Feliz, that'll be a brutal walk. EDIT: Being next to the hospital, there will probably always be pedestrian activity, even late at night, so that helps make streets feel safer too...

In my experience and from what I have heard, the area of East Hollywood near the Hollywood/Western stop (and like you heard, south of Hollywood Blvd) is the more 'dangerous' part of East Hollywood - though I personally would have no problem living there.

My wife and I live a little further west in Hollywood, and only have one car (which she uses for work) - We've never had an issue with that, the area is very walkable and has great public transportation.

The Red Line is fine at night - in fact it is probably the cleanest/nicest looking subway I have ever been on, and is usually full enough that I have never felt in danger or uncomfortable.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:43 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,125,666 times
I walked through that street many times when I was a kid (I went to Los Feliz Elementary).

I think that area is safe, but I think it's safer north of Hollywood and west of Vermont.

This is coming from someone who lived in the area 16 years ago... so things might have changed since.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:24 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,264,059 times
Before you move to East Hollywood you might want to watch the following video.

http://www.bravotv.com/kathy/season-...their-new-hood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or