U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-22-2007, 11:28 AM

100 posts, read 405,222 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to transfer to a 4 year school somewhere in LA, already having moved around California a bit (I am from NorCal originally). I'd love to go to UCLA but unfortunately my grades aren't up to their standards so its not a reality and I don't want to wait until I'm like 25 just to get in there and I don't have the money nor am I the type of person to go to USC. I am wondering if anyone can suggest other 4 year schools in LA that have decent student life, I've looked at a few of the CSU's in LA and they are just huge commuter schools with no personality. Any info would be helpful, thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 11:39 AM

129 posts, read 480,526 times
CalArts - no foundation year, so you only waste 3 years of your life, check it out - it's up in Valencia

Old 09-22-2007, 12:32 PM

916 posts, read 2,272,245 times
Long Beach State would be my recommendation. It is the best Cal State next to SLO for academics. It's in a fun town with good student life.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:51 PM

332 posts, read 1,501,994 times
Long Beach

Old 09-22-2007, 01:04 PM

12 posts, read 214,084 times
Think about this: You can go to Santa Monica College for 2 years for practically nothing. SMC is a wonderful college with students from all over the world located in a great area. It has a guaranteed transfer program to UCLA when you finish your 2 years. I did this route because my HS grades were bad. You only need a C+ average to transfer and you save buckets of money and you get to go transfer to a world-class university. The other JC's in LA also have this transfer program.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:46 PM

What parts of Long Beach or other nearby areas are good to live in? I checked out the CSULB campus back when I was in high school so I don't remember much about the area other than the actual campus. I know that some parts of Long Beach are bad areas, or at least not the type of area for a young, white college student to live, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-22-2007, 03:09 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,514,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california_guy110 View Post
What parts of Long Beach or other nearby areas are good to live in? I checked out the CSULB campus back when I was in high school so I don't remember much about the area other than the actual campus. I know that some parts of Long Beach are bad areas, or at least not the type of area for a young, white college student to live, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
the areas closest to the university are among the better ones in the city. live close to campus, and you will be fine.

our resident LB expert is a member named "paula lynn". send her a direct message asking whatever you'd like to know about LB if she doesn't respond in this thread soon. i don't think she'll mind. i used to live there a decade ago, but didn't get to know the city like a real local, mostly because i was always in LA. nothing against long beach; that's just what my life was like back then.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:51 PM

916 posts, read 2,272,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california_guy110 View Post
CSULB is in East LB which is very nice.

Belmont Shore specifically is a very upscale beach community with a row of restaraunts, retail, and pubs (popular with CSULB students on Thursday night). It is amount 2 miles from CSULB. You could also live on campus. You could also live in one of the apartment buildings with lots of students off of Atherton or Anaheim in Park Estates. These buildings are biking distance to campus.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:01 PM

Cool, thanks for the info, I think I might like CSULB, I was living in the San Diego State area trying to transfer in there and I found it to have too much of a suburban feel.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:34 PM

332 posts, read 1,501,994 times
many LB students live in Lakewood as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles