Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 06:51 AM

3 posts, read 3,444 times

Advertisements

I want to work in the entertainment industry, I am 21 years old now. How much do you think I should have saved up to move to LA? I plan to move and start working a day job while I pursue my dream. Is this all unrealistic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 08:02 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,605,801 times
It depends. I thought it was unrealistic for one of my old co workers to move to LA and try to make it as a comedian. In a year he made it and is featured in all sorts of stuff now. Then again, his parents are filthy rich and he never had to work a day in LA, so he just spent his whole time doing open mics. His comedy is mediocre too. I am surprised he actually made it as a comic but there is something about his comedy people like. He just kept at it and mingled with the right folks.

I think if you can find a way to avoid working you can make it because you will be ahead of a lot of people who work full time or part time and use less than half the day for auditions and what not. You can spend all your time trying to break into the circuit you want into.

Honestly, my co worker proved to me that you don't have to be that talented to make it in LA.

Save at least 5000 bucks for first month rent and security deposit, a couple months rent and living expenses before you get a job.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:08 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,171,565 times
Need more info on what part of the entertainment industry, what kind of work, what schooling you have, etc., etc. You only mention your age. I'd try to take classes in your home city first. You don't know how long it would take to get a job. Make at least one or two exploratory trips and see if you can get some informational interviews (asking people about the industry, including your specific area(s), whether or not there's a job opening right you'd be qualified to fill just yet), talk with schools in the area (e.g., UCLA and USC have famous film schools but you could take some classes for less money at many schools, and probbly get a better state resident tuition break where you are now). Also look at areas where you might be able to afford to live. Youl may even decide you don't like Southern California and would rather pursue your dream somewhere else.

What will you do if it takes several months or more to find a job (there's a lot of competition)? Or if you need to take years of classes first?

Unrealistic dream? Perhaps. Many people have had the same dream, for several decades, and some succeeded while more did not. Maybe you will succeed. But you need to do a lot of research before budgeting on a move with no job prospect. Not only financial questions on moving with no job, but geography: you could end up renting far, far from a job and endure the headache of a multi-hour commute each day. And you may end up getting a job far from L.A. (since "the entertainment industry" is geographically spread around the country, even worldwide). I personally wouldn't advise moving until you at least have a really good idea of your job prospects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles