Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:05 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,625,585 times

Advertisements

Someone on this forum mentioned that the Metro subway in LA is just as good as the T in Boston. If this is true then that is good news because the T in Boston was extremely helpful and made life a lot easier for those without a car.

I won't have a car in LA for the first couple of months until I get mine shipped. I'll probably be staying in North Hollywood and was wondering just how difficult would it be to get around town using the Metro?

I've been told it's safe and to not act like an idiot on it to avoid trouble. But the difference between LA and Boston is that Boston was tiny in comparison to LA and getting off the T to walk to your destination was a cakewalk. LA is much bigger and it seems like it would require even a distant walk to get to your destination after getting off the Metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 10:18 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,348 times
The subway system is definitely not as extensive as Boston or DC or NYC, but the bus system is pretty good, and can definitely help fill in the gaps where the subway falls short.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:23 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
the subway does not cover much of the city, but the bus routes do. mind you, the buses sit in the same traffic that LA is notorious for and since LA is such a spread out city, it can take a considerable amount of time to reach your destination by bus.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:25 AM

So give myself a good two hours before I reach my destination. If I have to be at work at 2pm, leave the house at noon?

Old 05-31-2012, 11:10 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
it depends on where work is located. if you live in north hollywood and work downtown, it will take less than 30 minutes on the subway. however, if you work in santa monica, 2 hours sounds about right.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:33 AM

That's fine. No different than Houston really.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:53 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Someone on this forum mentioned that the Metro subway in LA is just as good as the T in Boston. If this is true then that is good news because the T in Boston was extremely helpful and made life a lot easier for those without a car.

I won't have a car in LA for the first couple of months until I get mine shipped. I'll probably be staying in North Hollywood and was wondering just how difficult would it be to get around town using the Metro?

I've been told it's safe and to not act like an idiot on it to avoid trouble. But the difference between LA and Boston is that Boston was tiny in comparison to LA and getting off the T to walk to your destination was a cakewalk. LA is much bigger and it seems like it would require even a distant walk to get to your destination after getting off the Metro.
You might be referring to me since I have experience in both cities. I think what I said was the bus system here is much better than Boston's. Boston has much better rail coverage - pretty much all of the city except for some southern parts are accessible. LA still has a way to go, and unfortunately North Hollywood is at the very northern tip of the transit system, so almost all trips will be on the long side.

That being said my wife and I share a car (which I have no daytime access to) and I have never had a problem walking or taking PT to all of my destinations.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
That being said my wife and I share a car (which I have no daytime access to) and I have never had a problem walking or taking PT to all of my destinations.
This is the answer I was looking for! Thanks. So it's OK to ride the bus? Outside of a few areas in Houston, the bus system here is bonkers. Horrible and somewhat dangerous.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:29 PM

I should also note that I am bringing a bike, as in bicycle not motor. Could I park the bike around town or would it get jacked pretty easily? Can one get around town with a bike? I do not mind riding for miles.

I also do not mind long expansive walks. In Boston I tended to walk from Harvard Square to the Commons. That was a long ass walk too. I usually took the T on the way back though.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:21 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I should also note that I am bringing a bike, as in bicycle not motor. Could I park the bike around town or would it get jacked pretty easily? Can one get around town with a bike? I do not mind riding for miles.

I also do not mind long expansive walks. In Boston I tended to walk from Harvard Square to the Commons. That was a long ass walk too. I usually took the T on the way back though.
The buses are pretty reliable and generally aren't dangerous though there are definitely more crazies on the buses here than in Boston. I've never felt in danger but I've seen some homeless people get into a (verbal) fight, which forced the bus driver to pull over and kick them off.

I don't cycle myself but see plenty of people out here doing it, I'm sure if you lock up your bike when you go places it would be fine. I've heard it takes some practice cycling in the heavy traffic but I would imagine bike infrastructure is better in LA than in Houston but worse than Boston.

As far as long walks, if you are used to doing that LA is perfect - most of it is pretty flat (especially North Hollywood and the Valley) and the weather is really mild, except in the summer the sun can be kind of brutal. Not that it is too hot, but the sun is really bright.

Last weekend my wife and I walked from about Hollywood and Vine to the Pacific Design Center in West Hollywood (near Crescent Heights I think). That's about 4.5 miles and honestly I probably could have gone for a few more miles. We took the bus back though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles