Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 11:06 AM

3,527 posts, read 6,527,342 times

Advertisements

Most American TV series run Sept-May. But what times of year are they generally filmed?

My fave shows are The Office and The Big Bang Theory. They are filmed in the NBC or Warner Studios (respectively) in Burbank. Does anyone know where I could hang out in hopes of seeing the actors and getting autographs?

Also what times of day would you suggest? I don't know what hours they work. I once ate at Mo's in Burbank and the waitress said actors from The Office and from lots of other shows come there.

I recently went to the place where the film the parking lot scenes of The Office. It's at the end of Saticoy St. in Panorama City. It was gated and was all deserted. Also the Scranton sign and numbers were not there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 07:06 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times
My wife and I used to shop at a Trader Joe's near a studio. Quite often we would meet actors and actresses there shopping.
Just be respectful.
Some actors will sign and many will not. You may want to just contact their agents to get a signed picture.

I was having dinner in a restaurant in Carmel and Clint Eastwood was seated at the table next to us. Someone approached him requesting a autograph. He politely declined stating he was out with his wife on a dinner date.

Check out http://tvtickets.com/. My wife and I used to catch a show on Fridays there once a month. We were lucky that the cast would autograph after the show. Most shows that will not happen. Going to a studio filming is a long day. In line from parking from 2pm to 11pm returning to our car.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:58 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,808 times
Most TV show and studio Web sites give time frames of when the shows are filmed. You do have to write far in advance to get tickets. If you see the show filmed you could ask when you could have a chance to get an autograph, but assume it won't be easy at all. When my wife attended a conference at a Universal City hotel one November, I looked around for tickets for shows, to kill time. One show I got to see, through a third party site that distributed tickets for free, was Jay Leno. Normally one had to line up the day of filming, I believe. Other shows weren't filming while I was there. I have heard that seeing a sitcom filmed can be very time-consuming, with retakes, ec. Leno isn't my favorite show host, but the entire filming took just an hour (though one had to arrive quite early). I've heard of people seeing stars during studio tours, but that seems iffy at best. The tours aren't cheap. I didn't find the one at NBC very interesting, though my mother enjoyed it. Warner Brothers was better (but $48), and slim chances of actually seeing a star.

If the star has a fan club, they may give advice on getting autographs. But overall I think you have to accept that the chances are very small. As far as meeting one in a restaurant or store, etc. is concerned, it's a matter of kismet. Not a productive use of time, IMHO.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:05 PM

170 posts, read 325,900 times
Even in LA, its rare to see a celebrity unless you are in the right corner of Beverly Hills or Melrose Ave in West Hollywood at just the right time. The stars live very quiet and secluded lives in their estates in BH, Bel Air, Hollywood Hills, and parts of the Valley. Their homes are often surrounded by tall fences and walls, making it difficult just to see their house. Most of their neighborhoods are under heavy security anyway, so most people cant go near there. In case you actually did see a celebrity, they often make themselves hard to get noticed. Of course, this isnt for all celebs though. The best chance to see a TV celebrity is at a fancy restaurant in the daytime near the studio during filming season (July to April). I know Jay Leno likes Weinersnitzl near the NBC studios in Burbank. Most TV shows/sitcoms are NOT filmed at the network itself, but at seperate independant studios in West LA or Burbank. Jeopardy and Wheel are filmed in Culver City. The LA-based talk shows are often filmed in Hollywood proper, including Juge Judy and Judge Joe Brown. But The Price Is Right and CBS soaps are taped at CBS Televison City itself.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:42 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,489,416 times
*cough*cough*stalker*cough*cough*

Old 06-04-2012, 05:41 PM

10,029 posts, read 9,504,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Most American TV series run Sept-May. But what times of year are they generally filmed?

My fave shows are The Office and The Big Bang Theory. They are filmed in the NBC or Warner Studios (respectively) in Burbank. Does anyone know where I could hang out in hopes of seeing the actors and getting autographs?

Also what times of day would you suggest? I don't know what hours they work. I once ate at Mo's in Burbank and the waitress said actors from The Office and from lots of other shows come there.

I recently went to the place where the film the parking lot scenes of The Office. It's at the end of Saticoy St. in Panorama City. It was gated and was all deserted. Also the Scranton sign and numbers were not there.
I live down the street from both NBC and Warner bros. they're gated and the actors drive directly onto the lot, so waiting at the gate is a waste of time. I've lived here for over forty five years and have several relatives who work for the studios. Through the years I've seen quite a few celebrities but it's sporadic.

Your best bet, as Samoi137 mentioned, is to order free show tickets.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:45 PM

10,029 posts, read 9,504,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
Even in LA, its rare to see a celebrity unless you are in the right corner of Beverly Hills or Melrose Ave in West Hollywood at just the right time. The stars live very quiet and secluded lives in their estates in BH, Bel Air, Hollywood Hills, and parts of the Valley. Their homes are often surrounded by tall fences and walls, making it difficult just to see their house. Most of their neighborhoods are under heavy security anyway, so most people cant go near there. In case you actually did see a celebrity, they often make themselves hard to get noticed. Of course, this isnt for all celebs though. The best chance to see a TV celebrity is at a fancy restaurant in the daytime near the studio during filming season (July to April). I know Jay Leno likes Weinersnitzl near the NBC studios in Burbank. Most TV shows/sitcoms are NOT filmed at the network itself, but at seperate independant studios in West LA or Burbank. Jeopardy and Wheel are filmed in Culver City. The LA-based talk shows are often filmed in Hollywood proper, including Juge Judy and Judge Joe Brown. But The Price Is Right and CBS soaps are taped at CBS Televison City itself.
I've also seen Jay at the Monte Carlo Italian Deli in Burbank. He sure gets around.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:36 AM

4 posts, read 8,570 times
When I took the WB tour, we were able to go on the big bang theory sound stages which was pretty cool! They were on break and I did not see them, but I saw Community being filmed at Paramount and met Alison Brie. Really, you meet people by chance. My sister freaked out when we sat next to Wizards of Waverly Place star, David Henrie at Toast and Gratitude in Hollywood is a great spot for young hollywood.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:38 AM

4 posts, read 8,570 times
oh, and if you desperately want to see a star, go to the Grove and watch them film Extra every week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles