Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 07:06 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Yes I believe it was a necessary statement. If I felt otherwise I probably wouldn’t have posted it. The poster asked for a “more credible link” and I provided multiple additional sources. I’m well aware of bias in perception and reporting so I pointed out the fact that most right wing media outlets won’t have this story covered for that simple reason.
Very few mainstream media outlets have the story, period. ABC is the only one to make google page one. You're making it seem like Fox is the only one to omit the story, which is simply not the case.

So, it seems its not only right wing media outlets won’t have this story covered for that "simple reason".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 07:20 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Very few mainstream media outlets have the story, period. ABC is the only one to make google page one. You're making it seem like Fox is the only one to omit the story, which is simply not the case.

So, it seems its not only right wing media outlets won’t have this story covered for that "simple reason".
No I never made it seem as if only right wing media won’t cover this story. I never inferred that either. I cannot claim with any certainty that I know what all media outlets are doing. The point I was making was right wing media has a tendency to not cover these types of stories. Nothing more nothing less! The only time right wing media sources cover stories like this is when they’re forced to and then it’s from an opposition viewpoint more often or not.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:28 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Why yes I can but so can Google
You made the claim, you provide something to back it up, Malcolm X. That's the way it works around here.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:36 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
Quote:
No I never made it seem as if only right wing media won’t cover this story. I never inferred that either. I cannot claim with any certainty that I know what all media outlets are doing. The point I was making was right wing media has a tendency to not cover these types of stories. Nothing more nothing less! The only time right wing media sources cover stories like this is when they’re forced to and then it’s from an opposition viewpoint more often or not.
Uh, yeah ya' did.

That jab at Fox was just that. Why not mention that, say, NBC doesn't have the story?

If you want to start a thread about 'right wing media outlets' picking and choosing their stories, be my guest. But don't start a thread about a racial topic then call out For news for not carrying the story, when nearly every single other major media channel doesn't have the story either, then claim Fox has done something wrong by not reporting on it.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:39 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,950 times
Just goes to show, when minorities do something bad it gets blown out of proportion.

When white people do something bad, it gets swept under the rug..

Old 06-04-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Uh, yeah ya' did.

That jab at Fox was just that. Why not mention that, say, NBC doesn't have the story?

If you want to start a thread about 'right wing media outlets' picking and choosing their stories, be my guest. But don't start a thread about a racial topic then call out For news for not carrying the story, when nearly every single other major media channel doesn't have the story either, then claim Fox has done something wrong by not reporting on it.
Uh, No I’m pretty sure I didn’t. The reason I didn’t mention NBC is because I posted a link about the story from the Huffington Post. Since the Huffington Post has the same type of slant towards its coverage as the NBC networks that implied that side of the spectrum had the story cover (to a degree). I’m pretty sure if you dig a little deeper you can find left wing and center media outlets that don’t have this story covered. But that wasn’t the point in my statement. Fox News and The Blaze were singled out because I couldn’t find this story on ANY of the right wing web sites. Those two just happened to be the best known of the bunch.

Now you can get sidetracked on the original topic about UCLA because you were offended by the so-called pop shot I took at your favorite media outlets or you can comment on the story, your choice.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You made the claim, you provide something to back it up, Malcolm X. That's the way it works around here.
Ok Fontucky, it might work that way in your world but most people who find fault with any source in an internet forum simply Google until they find something they’re more conferrable with. I do it all the time when people link articles from sites I find untrustworthy. But to each his own, Stacey Koon...

Old 06-04-2012, 09:25 PM

135 posts, read 335,267 times
The story was on CNN earlier. I sure as hell hope UCLA does something, but seriously isn't this a "roast" we are talking about? If you're familiar at all with these things there is nothing taboo about them. UCLA shouldn't be involved in roasts and especially the doctor involved of he can't laugh at this kind of stuff. The thing about a roast is its supposed to be your friends or people you know doing he jokes so you don't take them as harshly.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:06 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
Hazing/good-natured non-PC humor occurs at all levels whether one is a 10yo kid or a >$1MM/yr surgeon/lawyer/trader/engineer, etc...whether whitey/Jewish/Indian/Chinese/Mexican/blk, etc...get over it...humans will be humans....been that way for centuries and will be going fwd no matter silly laws or attempts at social engineering

Anyone who can't deal w/real world is free not to opt into such careers or to litigate such alleged "harassment".....but real world is smart enough to figure out which prospective students/employees/investors, etc are more trouble than they are worth....self-selection and natural selection often supersede silly litigation

Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Hazing/good-natured non-PC humor occurs at all levels whether one is a 10yo kid or a >$1MM/yr surgeon/lawyer/trader/engineer, etc...whether whitey/Jewish/Indian/Chinese/Mexican/blk, etc...get over it...humans will be humans....been that way for centuries and will be going fwd no matter silly laws or attempts at social engineering

Anyone who can't deal w/real world is free not to opt into such careers or to litigate such alleged "harassment".....but real world is smart enough to figure out which prospective students/employees/investors, etc are more trouble than they are worth....self-selection and natural selection often supersede silly litigation
I think your statement is not only incorrect but out of touch with how the professional world works. To start a hostel work environment is not only inappropriate but it is illegal! In your opinion if a women was sexually harassed at work should she just deal with it? Only a fool would think so. What this comes down to is you either respect the law and others or you don’t.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles