U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 07:01 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,792,955 times
I'd never live in an area prone to tornadoes unless my house had a storm cellar nearby. Many tornadoes escape notice when they occur at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 07:19 PM

5,031 posts, read 7,656,801 times
I lived in California and was in the 1971 Sylmar quake as well as the Tehahapi quake in 1952, but I was too small to remember that one. I now live in Texas and I can assure you that the ground shaking is less scary than the possibility of things flying in the air. I've never been in a tornado and have never seen one in nearly 34 years that I've lived here, but the threat of them is very scary. They can develop very quickly when the conditions are right. Even high winds can do much damage, rip roofs off houses, etc. The lightning is awful and can hit one's house and it'll go up in flames. I said I'd never live in Texas without a storm cellar, but I did from 1978 until 1997. After the Jarrell killer tornado hit the town (near Austin), that was it for me. I had one installed a few months later, one of the best investments I ever made.

Of course, a totally devastation earthquake like the one that hit San Francisco in the 1980s was very bad with freeways crashing down on cars, etc. Neither disaster is pleasant, but I'd still the the quakes over tornadoes.

SandyCo ... If people are aware of bad weather possibilities, tornadoes at night don't have any bearing on them being alert. The problem is that many people take them so lightly, think it can't happen, and then it does. For me, that is not the case. I respect the gosh-awful storms and won't sleep if the conditions are ripe for bad weather. When one retires for the night, the weathermen give much information of what MIGHT develop in the hours of darkness. I also have a weather alert and many times, I've set it to awaken me should bad weather be near me.

I realize one hasn't a clue when an earthquake will hit and at least get some idea about a potential tornado but still, I like that better than knowing Mack trucks might be flying through the air should one develop.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:11 AM

1,467 posts, read 1,601,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I lived in California and was in the 1971 Sylmar quake as well as the Tehahapi quake in 1952, but I was too small to remember that one. I now live in Texas and I can assure you that the ground shaking is less scary than the possibility of things flying in the air.
This is my opinion too. I lived in Des Moines, Iowa for a while and there was a very bad night of thunderstorms, high winds and tornado warnings flashing on the TV. I was pretty nervous. I was in The City for Loma Prieta and it didn't scare me half as much - in spite of all the damage in certain areas of town (which I wasn't in).

Old 06-09-2012, 02:25 PM

12,231 posts, read 9,878,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
In spite of the earthquake's strength, no dishes even fell out of the cabinets in the kitchen, because it was a rolling motion. Contrast that with the damage done in the Northridge earthquake in 1994. :
I didn't experience the Landers quake, but yeah...the Northridge quake was very forceful. I remember trying to get out of bed and it was impossible to stand-up, I just held onto my bed until it stopped. So much force....

Old 07-15-2012, 12:23 PM

868 posts, read 599,731 times
I grew up in Thousand Oaks, California, experienced the 1970 Sylmar/San Fernando quake and the 1994 Northridge quake, and soon after that moved to Iowa (not related to the quake). With tornados at least you usually have some knowledge of the possibility ahead of time. At the same time, they have been much more frequent as of lately, so not sure which is worse. So far, never been affected by a tornado, knock on wood.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:49 PM

23 posts, read 4,125 times
HI ,,,ONLY GOD KNOWS........Dont get your mind on too much worries about it NOTHING WILL HAPPEN TO YOU OR ANY MEMBERS OF YOUR FAMILY JUST PUT GOD IN THE CENTER OF YOUR LIFE AND THERES NOTHING TO AFRAID OF........

Old 07-16-2012, 05:12 PM

7,325 posts, read 6,053,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed24 View Post
JUST PUT GOD IN THE CENTER OF YOUR LIFE AND THERES NOTHING TO AFRAID OF........
Well, ain't life so easy?

OTOH, anticipating and actually planning for the big event just might save yours and other persons' lives.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:02 PM

16,589 posts, read 19,101,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed24 View Post
HI ,,,ONLY GOD KNOWS........Dont get your mind on too much worries about it NOTHING WILL HAPPEN TO YOU OR ANY MEMBERS OF YOUR FAMILY JUST PUT GOD IN THE CENTER OF YOUR LIFE AND THERES NOTHING TO AFRAID OF........
Did you tell that to the 847 people who died because of the Mount Pinatubo eruption?

Old 07-16-2012, 06:03 PM

48,569 posts, read 44,653,204 times
no not earthquake, sunamie.
it will not level houses here it will level house prices here.
and san onofre nuke plant is sitting right on the coast across the street from camp pendleton.
is this what they call military intelligence?

Old 07-23-2012, 11:57 PM

109 posts, read 74,911 times
i saw this interview of someone from usgs on youtube, and they were saying that because of the type of fault that san andreas is, the biggest quake that it could have produced is similar to, if not bigger than northridge, so i'm not that worried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles