Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 10:05 PM

269 posts, read 781,549 times

Advertisements

Thankfully no!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 12:50 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,209,688 times
I once had a guy run me off the road (this was on the east coast, though, so it happens everywhere). I had to drive up on the sidewalk to avoid being hit by him. I took down his license, car, etc...

I called the police and the same thing happened to me. They told me without witnesses, they couldn't/wouldn't do anything.

I guess it SORT of makes sense (with the benefit of 10+ years looking back on it)? I mean, I guess I could have been an angry ex who just SAID it happened. I don't know, but I was pretty furious about it at the time. I also had an old guy (again, on the east coast) POUND on my car and scream at me for about 5-10 minutes because he felt I hadn't come to a slow enough stop at a stop sign. I didn't bother calling the police because I figured they wouldn't care.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:37 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,940,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
My father was pulled over daily and his truck searched for years by LA county sheriff. He asked one officer why and all the guy did was tap the NRA sticker with his pencil. Once the sticker was gone the strip searches stopped.
It looks like the govt won this one. Thats harassment by public servants. Its amazing how much they get away with.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,210,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderaf View Post

So I'm driving to work just like any other day minding my own business, and this jerk behind me tries to pass me (and cut me off) by using the right turn lane...afterall, I was leaving one car length in between me and the car ahead of me.

Of course the right turn lane ends, so I just maintain my lane so he cannot cut me off and he has to fall back behind me. This angers him...

He stops his car in moving traffic, gets out, and chases me on foot! He starts beating on my car and yelling for me to get out (while I'm moving). Of course there's a red light up ahead so I had to stop. Now he's at my car door beating on my car because he wants me to challenge him. I turned around and told him I was calling the police (as I was dialing 911 on my phone).

So like a good upstanding citizen, he punches my car as hard as he can and then runs back to his car which is now about 100 meters down the street, and then flees as fast as he can. I got his license plate number, description of the vehicle, and his description.

Long story short, when I meet with the police they tell me this is nothing to bother with. I requested 3 times to file a police report and he assured me there was no reason to.

I then told him "I drive the same route to work every day, what if he does?" He assured me just to avoid him as best as possible and call the police if I have any more trouble...This part kills me almost as much as the guy beating on my car

Sorry, I just had to rant...sometimes being the law-abiding citizen just sucks sometimes.
Why didn't you pull out your gun and show him who the boss is?

Old 06-12-2012, 11:53 AM

8,234 posts, read 13,321,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexanderaf View Post
I left out the part where I ran over the hood of his car with my monster truck...maybe that was what angered him
Hey, you will be amazed at how many clueless idiots/jerks I see on the road when I am riding my bike, who cannot drive worth ****. They make horrible errors that go unnoticed because I or the other potential victim avoids it. If I was to lose it and start yelling at those idiots (sometimes I do), they give me the "What did I do?" look which confirms that do not even realize the mistakes they made, most of them probably think I am some whack job for yelling at them out of the blue!
So, like I said, he might very well be a nut case but there is always another possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
It looks like the govt won this one. Thats harassment by public servants. Its amazing how much they get away with.
No kidding, my exact thought! A funny way to abuse 2nd Amendment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You do not think that would be an overkill and if a cop saw this, he would be in trouble.

Last edited by Count David; 06-14-2012 at 09:10 AM..

Old 06-12-2012, 01:19 PM

269 posts, read 781,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Something I omitted is that I was in uniform and was on my way to LAAFB. I would never advertise that I had a weapon unless my life was in immediate danger. While he was a jerk and was beating on my car, I felt I did the responsible thing by staying in my car and informed him that I was calling the police.

While it is frustrating sometimes, I know the law well and I abide by it. Whether it is inconvenient for me shouldn't matter. I could have chosen a path that would set him straight for the rest of his life...but then how would I be any different than he?

Last edited by alexanderaf; 06-12-2012 at 02:26 PM..

Old 06-12-2012, 04:54 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,210,857 times
You would not be in trouble in the least by showing your weapon. The person banging on the car was practicing assault on the OP and Battery to the car. The OP could show without a reasonanble doubt that the protection of life was in question at that time. Using the weapon would depend upon if the point got across to the person who was a threat. Lets say that the person that was causing damage to the car decided to walk away, then the gun is no longer needed.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:02 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,597,484 times
It's situations like these where i wish we still had open carry. I had a similar incident a few yrs ago when I slammed on my brakes & laid on the horn to avoid hitting some Mideastern guy in a Porsche who cut in front of me. He ended up in the lane to the right a few blocks down & the traffic was stop n go heading to the freeway. He started cussing me out, leaned over & out his window & started banging on my car & then spat a huge loogie on my window. wth!! Hellla psycho. I was totally wound up for the entire week.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:18 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,497,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
It's situations like these where i wish we still had open carry. I had a similar incident a few yrs ago when I slammed on my brakes & laid on the horn to avoid hitting some Mideastern guy in a Porsche who cut in front of me. He ended up in the lane to the right a few blocks down & the traffic was stop n go heading to the freeway. He started cussing me out, leaned over & out his window & started banging on my car & then spat a huge loogie on my window. wth!! Hellla psycho. I was totally wound up for the entire week.
So you would have, what, brandished your unloaded handgun? I'm a huge ccw advocate, but this statement makes no sense whatsoever. Great way to get yourself some new holes.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:20 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,533,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Yeah, seriously.

No road rage in norcal?
Heck no. We're mellow. Ain't go no stinkin' bath salts either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles