Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 04:50 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,009,575 times

Advertisements

I want to get my parents out west real bad. My dad has around 10-15 years of life left, my mom, maybe 25 if she's lucky. We all lived in San Diego in the 90's and got to experience that awesome weather. Unfortunately a series of events and decisions brought everybody back to FL. One thing is for certain and that's that I'm heading out west again in about 2 years max, with or without anyone else. But it sure would be awesome if I could bring them along with me. Their sick of this place and the humidity too, and I think one final move out west would bring new life into them, I know it will me.

But as it's looking right now, the two of them together are going to have to survive on social security checks alone, a total of about 35K a year. But I will be done with college in 1.5 to 2 years and should be making some good money. Between their social security, my income, and my brother who would be down for moving out west again, I think we could pool our resources and live for cheap.

Now Phoenix, AZ is a place I think would be real feasible for this .The weather might not be quite as perfect as southern Cal. but it's still dry, sunny, pretty, cheap, and I actually like the city too, I've been there. And there would be plenty of people my parent's age there too.

But, I love LA too! I've visited there quite a few times, and I might have a connection on a job there after I graduate with an accounting degree. We could all split the rent on a house there, like in the San Fernando Valley.

I asked my father today if he'd ever consider LA, he loved San Diego after all. But he thinks LA is too intense for him. But then I don't think he's ever been in the city of LA before. He's just lumping it in with NYC. At least form me, once I got there I realized it was more manageable than I thought. The roads are crowded but they didn't run me off the road like in the movie "Death Race".

Is it a totally a ridiculous idea to drag my parent's who are in their late 60's/70's to LA? Maybe that big city energy would be good for them, give them some new life. Or do you think Phoenix would be a more realistic plan?

Last edited by New Horizons; 06-14-2012 at 05:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 06:13 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,532,479 times
The answer to your questions will depend entirely on finances and what you think you will be able to afford for you parents. If they are living on SS alone, I think LA may be a bit too expensive.

I will also caution you in thinking that "being done with college in 1.5 to 2 years" and "making good money" will be synonymous.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:44 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,482,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
The answer to your questions will depend entirely on finances and what you think you will be able to afford for you parents. If they are living on SS alone, I think LA may be a bit too expensive.

I will also caution you in thinking that "being done with college in 1.5 to 2 years" and "making good money" will be synonymous.
A Bachelor's in Accounting might do it. One of the better degree choices for this economy.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:50 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,532,479 times
We may have a differing opinion on what you consider 'good money' ... also taking into account living in LA as a recent grad, supporting 2 parents with just 1 income and social security (is there also a brother in the mix with unknown income?). We also don't know about debt load from college loans, etc.

Not saying this is impossible, but things to keep in mind.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:51 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,049,438 times
A single young person wouldn't live easily in LA on 35k a year--with an income of that, $800 a month would be about as much rent as you could afford easily. That means a small studio or living with roommates in LA, and that wouldn't work for two old people. BUT do look into senior apartments, like 55+ places which are basically apartment complexes with cheaper rent that don't let people move in unless they're over a certain age. It might be competitive though, and they might not be in the best parts of town.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:55 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,482,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
A single young person wouldn't live easily in LA on 35k a year--with an income of that, $800 a month would be about as much rent as you could afford easily. That means a small studio or living with roommates in LA, and that wouldn't work for two old people. BUT do look into senior apartments, like 55+ places which are basically apartment complexes with cheaper rent that don't let people move in unless they're over a certain age. It might be competitive though, and they might not be in the best parts of town.
The 35K is the combined Social Security for the parents. If the O.P. has a Bachelor's in Accounting and passes the CPA exam he/she should do a lot better than that in L.A..

Old 06-14-2012, 07:55 PM

1,789 posts, read 2,913,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
i think he was saying they would all live together.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:57 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,374,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
The 35K is the combined Social Security for the parents. If the O.P. has a Bachelor's in Accounting and passes the CPA exam he/she should do a lot better than that in L.A..
You still need to get a job out of college to get the hours to sit for the CPA exam, pass the exam, then get a job as a CPA. Its not a quick process.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:57 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,517,530 times
I wouldn't advise retirees to live in California; why choose a state that has high income tax and sales tax rates? Okay, I know California isn't as bad as some, but it's not great. The sales tax in L.A. County is 8.75%. The state income tax varies, but it's around 6%. If you're trying to scrape by on social security alone, this might make or break your decision to live here.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:12 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,009,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
i think he was saying they would all live together.
I actually live with my mother right now. I give her a large portion of my paycheck for rent and food. My parents haven't lived together for well over 10 years now. By rooming with my mom it enables her to sort of live on her own. I think my parents could live together again if the house was big enough. Ideally they'd each have their own bedrooms on different ends of the house. I'm thinking a sprawling ranch style home, and it's probably going to have to be somewhere cheaper than LA. But I still want to be in a days drive to LA though. It doesn't have to be Arizona necessarily, there is always the inland empire, or Bakersfield maybe?? I read that it's nice and dry there. I do feel that once we get get to a drier climate, we're going to get involved in outdoor activities more and just feel better overall. Here in FL we spend over half the year indoors escaping the heat/humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles