U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-15-2012, 04:42 AM

1 posts, read 4,496 times
Default Los Feliz vs Silverlake vs Echo Park vs Downtown

hey everyone,

my wife and I are moving from Portland to LA and are looking to live in an area where we can walk to bars, restaurants, grocery, etc and attempt to somewhat minimize having to drive everywhere. we currently live in a neighborhood that we rarely have to leave. i know this wont be entirely possible in LA, but will try nonetheless.

i will be working in panorama city, with the planned reverse commute (i am going to try to bike commute occasionally, which is an entirely different subject, though any input is appreciated). it seems car commuting will be similar in timing between los feliz/silverlake/echo park, though bike commuting will seemingly be more difficult as we go south.

we are still (somewhat) young, thirty, without kids. we tend to go out frequently for dinner and drinks.

we are planning to look around the vermont/hillhurst area of los feliz...any other suggestions for some exciting areas? we prefer a neighborhood type vibe (so no west hollywood), but still with some action. are there any other areas or intersections that fit the bill? were still at least attempting to be hip and somewhat into "the scene", though I guess this is waning with every year (sigh).

were looking for a place hopefully some good amenities hopefully less than $2200 or so a month (preferably less).

any help would be appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 10:02 AM

8,923 posts, read 5,437,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisterpowers View Post
hey everyone,

my wife and I are moving from Portland to LA and are looking to live in an area where we can walk to bars, restaurants, grocery, etc and attempt to somewhat minimize having to drive everywhere. we currently live in a neighborhood that we rarely have to leave. i know this wont be entirely possible in LA, but will try nonetheless.

i will be working in panorama city, with the planned reverse commute (i am going to try to bike commute occasionally, which is an entirely different subject, though any input is appreciated). it seems car commuting will be similar in timing between los feliz/silverlake/echo park, though bike commuting will seemingly be more difficult as we go south.

we are still (somewhat) young, thirty, without kids. we tend to go out frequently for dinner and drinks.

we are planning to look around the vermont/hillhurst area of los feliz...any other suggestions for some exciting areas? we prefer a neighborhood type vibe (so no west hollywood), but still with some action. are there any other areas or intersections that fit the bill? were still at least attempting to be hip and somewhat into "the scene", though I guess this is waning with every year (sigh).

were looking for a place hopefully some good amenities hopefully less than $2200 or so a month (preferably less).

Money wise, you can find something in those areas in the high teens (1500+) with ease, if you look hard you can probably find a bargain in all of those locations for even less. I have a great one bedroom apartment in Hollywood (not on your list but pretty similar to those neighborhoods) and pay less than 1500 a month.

Not sure what you mean by a neighborhood-type vibe that would exclude West Hollywood Seems just as neighborhood-y as Los Feliz (which is just as pretentious, though in a different sort of way). Los Feliz seems like a good bet from someone who is coming from Portland. It is very walkable, decent transit options, especially if you live near the subway station. Believe it or not, LA probably has better public transportation than Portland as the buses run 24/7 and at a high frequency (compared to the last place I lived, Boston) - I know they are not streetcars but they get the job done just as well (if not better with the Rapid Buses). The subway gets you downtown in about 20 minutes or less, and there is a decent and growing light rail system.

One tip for bike commuting - live near a Red Line Station and take the train to the end of the line in North Hollywood then bike to Panorama City. The Cahuenga Pass between the city and the Valley is pretty steep, though I believe there are bike lanes through it. It'll cut your bike ride in half, which may or may not be a good think in your opinion.

I think you will be surprised at how little you have to leave your neighborhood. I could probably exclusively live in Hollywood, and I think you will find the other neighborhoods to be pretty similar.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:28 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,168,455 times
I grew up near the intersection of Hilhurst and Clayton--near the fire station.

Great neighborhood for a young couple. Despite its looks, it's very walkable.

It's not terribly difficult to walk (from the fire station) all the way up to Los Feliz Blvd or bike to Sunset Junction. Lots of small restaurants if you walk up Hilhurst, and Sunset Junction itself has a lot of eateries.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:01 PM

7,876 posts, read 9,560,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

One tip for bike commuting - live near a Red Line Station and take the train to the end of the line in North Hollywood then bike to Panorama City. The Cahuenga Pass between the city and the Valley is pretty steep, though I believe there are bike lanes through it. It'll cut your bike ride in half, which may or may not be a good think in your opinion.
^ This.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:55 PM

6,182 posts, read 11,601,957 times
if you really want to minimize your commute and make cycling a better option consider some valley neighborhoods such as sherman oaks, studio city and burbank. all those areas have very walkable corridors with plenty of dining/drinking options.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:50 PM

574 posts, read 637,877 times
DTLA is great, especially now that hundreds of bars and restraunts start to open inbetween Downtown, its very walkable, beautiful area, plenty of things to do, its a very active and vibrant area of LA, you should totally check it out and see for yourself.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:03 PM

147 posts, read 181,103 times
I loved Los Feliz during my visit to LA.

It is a very nice neighbourhood, saw lots of young people walking around and it's really close to Griffith Park / Observatory so you can get your exercise in and get great views. There were some great areas to visit around the area as well and I saw a lot of places were renting!

Old 07-06-2012, 11:21 AM

46 posts, read 56,879 times
You can't really go wrong with any of the choices above. DTLA has really turned around since early 2000's and it'll only get better from here.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:58 PM

550 posts, read 1,138,203 times
Don't forget NOHO or Eagle Rock!

Old 07-15-2012, 02:06 PM

1,031 posts, read 508,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisterpowers View Post
hey everyone,

Oh man this the hardest question ever. Too many good options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles