Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2012, 03:55 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
your'e right, they should get a former NY mayor to be mayor of LA, seems like when LA is in trouble they get somebody from NY to fix it. Bill Bratton came in and cleaned up the LAPD, and before that Joe Torre came in and made winners of the Dodgers. "Los Angeles Mayor Rudy Giuliani" has a nice ring to it, don't you think?
Bill Bratton is originally from Boston. Came to New York in 1990, at the age of 43.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Most people in Los Angeles share a wall with someone else. That's what is great about LA - if you want your own home with a yard you can get it, but if you want high-density and an urban experience you can certainly get that too. <-- of course this is assuming you have money, it isn't exactly cheap to get a lot of space in Southern California.
The irony of all the L.A. bashing is that if a single family home suddenly appeared on the market in Manhattan, New Yorkers would sell their own mothers to get it.

In Manhattan, you HAVE to live the sardine can lifestyle. In L.A., it's only optional.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:18 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The irony of all the L.A. bashing is that if a single family home suddenly appeared on the market in Manhattan, New Yorkers would sell their own mothers to get it.

In Manhattan, you HAVE to live the sardine can lifestyle. In L.A., it's only optional.
Real Spit ^^^^^^^^^This!

Old 12-07-2012, 04:19 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
You are basically put words in my mouth. All I said is any place with nearly 100 percent of any race is undesirable (guess I should have qualified it with "to me"). My least-favorite place I have lived is Thousand Oaks - which also happens to be like 70% white. I personally just like places that are a little more diverse - especially when the largest ethnic group is a plurality and not a majority.

I mean, I definitely don't live in Hollywood for all the white people...
Nah, man, I was just pulling your chain man. LOL. I believe you. Sorry, man, that was bug of me, just did it to amuse myself.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:24 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
Nah, man, I was just pulling your chain man. LOL. I believe you. Sorry, man, that was bug of me, just did it to amuse myself.
Haha it's all good

Old 12-07-2012, 04:25 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:

Yeah I mean there are definitely options like that in the outer buroughs, but not in the way you can be right in the center of the action and still have a SFH like you can in LA.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:

In the outer boroughs, there's a mix of both, one can tell how much people care about having a single family home by the price premium. There are some single family attached homes in Manhattan. I assume you meant detached. I found two:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=351+R...27.16,,0,-7.79

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=217th...,30.35,,0,0.92

latter view isn't a part of Manhattan most people mean when they say Manhattan. And theres' this:

http://curbednetwork.com/cache/galle...0dc040b8_o.jpg

Old 12-07-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
In the outer boroughs, there's a mix of both, one can tell how much people care about having a single family home by the price premium. There are some single family attached homes in Manhattan. I assume you meant detached. I found two:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=351+R...27.16,,0,-7.79

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=217th...,30.35,,0,0.92

latter view isn't a part of Manhattan most people mean when they say Manhattan. And theres' this:

http://curbednetwork.com/cache/galle...0dc040b8_o.jpg
Yes, I meant single-family detached, and by optional I was thinking of blocks like this, in Hollywood:
https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...ed=0CDEQ8gEwAA

That was the street where the climatic scenes in "Halloween" were filmed. It's between the Walk of Fame section of Los Angeles and the Sunset Strip. Prime location. A half mile away:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1428+...en&sa=N&tab=wl

A more urban environment. This is what I mean by options. You don't have to live in the farther reaches of the outer boroughs, or LI, to own or rent a home. You can live how you want, how you prefer, if you have the means. It's not cheap, but it can be done.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
I think Chicago has some single family home close to the center, just not with as much greenery. There's no space in Manhattan, but it wouldn't really be Manhattan if there was. No one expects a single family home in Paris or the center of London, either.

Off topic, but one thing NYC and Los Angeles have in common is they're both popular with celebrities. Are celebrity sightings common? I've seen 2 without living in NYC.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:18 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,850,375 times
There's no danger that single family houses won't be available. National and local housing policies (e.g. cities and neighborhoods that refuse to allow apartments) have produced an over supply of single family housing for the types of households that exist today. The problem is to produce enough apartments and condos for the folks that want them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles