Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 12:52 AM

225 posts, read 1,088,001 times

Advertisements

Nothing mentioned so far annoys me as much as:

1. the way people take left turns in residential neighborhoods. They cut the corner as though it is NASCAR and force you to slam on your brakes as you come down the road they are turning into.

2. the way the guy behind you on the freeway entrance ramp sometimes pulls out from behind you as you are entering the freeway, then tries to zoom past you. Seriously, dude, one day I won't see you. You will die, not me.

Last edited by straight outta camden; 09-30-2007 at 12:52 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 01:45 AM

14 posts, read 70,260 times
LA definitely has more aggressive drivers than other parts of California... I'm from Santa Barbara and I'd NEVER encountered such terrible drivers. Every time I go out, on even the shortest trips I keep saying to myself, "Where the hell are the cops when you need them?"

And it's not just drivers--I see pedestrians STARTING to cross the street when the light's red and opposing traffic has the right of way. I see this regularly and I can't believe these people aren't run over.

Oh, and for those of you taking shots at illegals--in West LA, it's the lily-white suburbanites taking up two lanes in their H2s, running red lights, ignoring stop signs and blocking intersections. Honestly, a lot of you are so obsessed with hating brown people that it makes you blame them for everything that's wrong with LA.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:16 AM

332 posts, read 2,144,242 times
Illegals are far, far (far?) more likely to be unlicensed and uninsured than the average LA citizen... so please don't try to equalize the two. It's the fear of getting into an accident with an illegal immigrant and getting stuck with tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills that affects our viewpoint towards them. But in any case, denying that the roads would be safer without illegal immigrants is completely ignorant.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:13 AM

8 posts, read 23,184 times
I really sick of the stupid slow reaction people driving..
Its like they only move after 2-3second after the light turns green.. and there are like 20 cars behind him..
Driving in LA is crazy, it makes my car drop from 20.4mpg to 19.7mpg after one trip to LA!!!

Old 09-30-2007, 12:49 PM

920 posts, read 2,805,138 times
Um right. It must be all us blondes who are responsible for giving LA drivers a bad name. :rollseyes:

Those of you who think Angelenos are such bad drivers must have never driven in places like Boston, New Orleans or Bangkok (to name just a few). Maybe kids are being taught differently now, but I was taught to:

*always anticipate idiotic moves other drivers could make and drive defensively

*never tailgate because traffic could stop quickly and without warning

*start getting over as soon as your exit appears at the bottom of the signs

One bad habit I'll own up to is cutting off. I didn't realize I was doing that. In LA you have to be really assertive when changing lanes, or else you probably won't be able to get over. Grabbing my opportunities to change lanes as soon as possible was interpreted as cutting off in other parts of the country, and I was unaware of this. I've trained myself to allow more room when changing lanes.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:00 PM

332 posts, read 2,144,242 times
in LA traffic if you want to make a lane change and someone wants to let you in front of them they usually only give you the minimal amount of room for your car to fit. although the mirror may tell you they're being *******s and blocking you, you need to take that 1 or 2 second window of opportunity and get in, or else their patience will end and they'll drive up next to you.

Old 09-30-2007, 01:53 PM

274 posts, read 317,360 times
Who cares about anyone else?

This is Los Angeles. We are self-centered.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:50 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,493,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintLaurent View Post
Who cares about anyone else?

This is Los Angeles. We are self-centered.

Not a direct answer toward your statement, but if anyone does feel this is the case, let me state following viewpoint.

Los Angeles has continuously seen rapid growth over a number of years, as many as I can remember. Both Commercial and Residential construction have been major ecomonic factors in the county. With the continous population growth, we as a city and county, have not provided adequate transportation and highway expansion to meet the demand. With outdated roadways, a mayor who band-aids problems, and a complete dis-regard for improving infrastructure we are left with inadequate means to travel in a non aggresive mode. That is why you dont get much of any opportunity to make lane changes leisurely and safely. You generally need to drive aggresively and move quickly off the light or you will be passed etc etc.

On the other hand, every time a new transportation system is proposed, adjacent neighborhoods oppose the idea and cause years of delay.

That being said, the drivers that try and beat the light rail trains across the tracks are just plain stupid. There is no excuse for them.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:41 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,472,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Not a direct answer toward your statement, but if anyone does feel this is the case, let me state following viewpoint.

Los Angeles has continuously seen rapid growth over a number of years, as many as I can remember.
We had a brief respite in the 90s. That was the only good aspect of the worst period in L.A.'s history, that so many people left during the first half of the 90s that the growth slowed down for awhile.

Quote:
a mayor who band-aids problems
"A" mayor? Try EVERY mayor of L.A. Even Dick Riordan whom I consider to be L.A.'s best mayor in my lifetime band-aided a lot of problems, even though he did leave a real accomplishment: getting rid of the completely dysfunctional old city charter.

There are two reasons why Tony seems worse than the rest: (1) he's in office right now, and (2) he promised to be a change from the status quo and held himself out to be something better, so given that he's proved himself to be just like the rest of the idiots makes him seem all the more worse than someone who claimed to offer business as usual.

L.A. has a deep seated tolerance for badly run, poorly functioning government and dysfunctional institutions, and this goes back since before L.A. was even a big city. When the problems weren't as critical as they've been in the last 20 years the city functioned DESPITE its institutions somehow, but it didn't last forever.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:44 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,315,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmon View Post
GOOD ONE DAWG ! I think its because the smog causes far sightedness. We moved to Rural Arkansas to get out of the schtankness of SOCAL, never to beback! NOw my Wife wants to check out New Mexico, just after we have made some great Friends here, oh well, NM here we come, gotta have watta though , to grow some fresh Veggies, non of that wrinkled produce any mo. Keep your Humour goin.
I thought you guys loved Arkansas and your all white neighborhood...and you're moving again? New Mexico has plenty of brown skinned people...gotta warn ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles