Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 09:16 PM

236 posts, read 1,141,304 times

Advertisements

It's always sad when people take advantage of other peoples' generosity... but that doesn't mean we should stop being generous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 10:02 PM

8 posts, read 18,047 times
puffle, It sucks being in that situation.....and just to let everyone know I was not trying to scam anyone or trying to get any free handouts....I was scared and desperate, because I honestly thought I could rely on the "man" of the house but I was wrong. And yes I did find "one" friend who offered to let me and my daughter stay with her...thank God for her really....times like this you really find out who your real freinds are. And I apperciate everyones input and honesty. FYI me and my daughter are doing just fine now..my friend is letting us stay until I get back on my feet..and I am well on my way. Thanks again. And God Bless all of you. and have a Happy and safe New Year.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:56 AM

22 posts, read 61,990 times
I would never want to be in those shoes but I have struggled a few times in my life. I had to leave my son's father and had no where to go. I was fortunate in that I did have a decent job but certainly not enough to save up a deposit for an apartment. My angel was my boss who told me when I was ready to leave my ex that she would give me the money and she did. I will never forget her generousity, she helped me and I helped myself. No one else would do it not even my own family who by the way live in a beautiful home with plenty of room, everyone can have excuses. I am now married to the most wonderful man, we just bought a home. Life has completely turned around. So have faith, put one foot in front of the other, good things can happen. Though you mentioned only you and your daughter, what happened to your other 2 children? You said you had three.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:06 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Pan handling is a good business. I was in a gas station when this guy pulls up in a late model Cadillac. He asked if he could keep his car in there parking lot while he worked the street. His job? Holdong up a sign and asking for money. I thought the entire thing was funny since I work in a hospital and pay my bills, take care of my family so that I can afford to drive an 8 year old Hyundai, while this guy panhandles and drives a late model caddy. I am not a Caddy kind of guy but I bet if I had his "job" I could afford a better car. Best part is that he doesn't have to pay income tax. The local Police informed us that those people can average $30 an hour at a street corner. There are some that make a lot more "working" there brand of job.....
There might be a few skilled practitioners who are able to make about minimum wage panhandling in the right areas, but definitely not $30/hr on a consistent basis nowadays. Back in the 1970s maybe, back when people hadn't become burned out on seeing a beggar on every street corner.

I'm saying that because I watch those people with the signs very closely at times ..... I can't even remember the last time I saw anyone giving money to one of them.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:50 PM

8 posts, read 18,047 times
My other two children, my son who just turned 19 years old is staying with a friend of his because he has to stay close to his job that he just got(where me and my daughter are staying is 26 miles south of where we used to live) and the other one is not really my bio-. son (I love him as if he were my own)but he has lived with us for the last two years and he just turned 21 and he is doing his own thing apparently. Plus my friend had told me from the get go that she would only have enough room for me and my daughter (who is only 12 years old) to come stay with her if we had no where to go. Which I appreciate and thank her to no end. But I have not given up I miss my family and we will have a place of our own again very soon and if my boys want to come thats okay, but they are old enough and both have jobs now they can either come or go , but either way they have to support themselves now. I also have a 24 year old daughter she is my oldest, she has lived away from home for about 3 years now and has a family of her own, unfortunately they live with his parents, otherwise I know she would have let us stay with her. But this is a new year and I know things are going to get better for us because I will make it happen. Thanks again, and Happy New Year and God Bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles