Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 08:17 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,604 times

Advertisements

What about just driving a nice car? I've noticed beyond Prius and Honda fits the only variety of nice cars I've seen in LA are in Beverly Hills, Culver, Century, basically deep West LA.

I live in the valley and was planning on making my '02 Trans Am Ram Air WS6 look even better with Chavelle rims, new gloss paint, tinted windows, new lights, etc.

I already get stares stock but I think it's mostly from yuppies in Burbank who see me in a V8 with Texas plates.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:21 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Sounds like the ride Biggie was in back in 97. I think you are asking for trouble.
Yeah - didn't work out so well for him.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:43 AM

110 posts, read 236,826 times
this is just a bunch of ********. you guys watch too many movies. truth is, you'd be safe driving in any car. in downey, there are no gangs so you don't have anything to worry about. and nobody is just gonna come up to you and give you much trouble for your ride, based on your ride. with the suburban in downey, you might have the problem of 3rd row seat theft if you park at the mall, but that's it. me and my buddies used to drive around in an 85 caprice wagon low rider, blacked out and with gang name decals on the rear widows in a bad area of norwalk, and there we never got any trouble. with that car we were just asking for it. with the suburban, you might get a couple horny teen boys trying to ask you out, because that car just screams "milf with a boob job". sorry owners of suburbans, yukons, navigators, expeditions, hummer h2 and h3, and older escalades, it's just what happens.

Last edited by Count David; 07-17-2012 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: expletive

Old 07-16-2012, 05:26 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Or maybe we grew up in L.A. and experienced the carjacking culture firsthand. Showing off your blinged-out ride where you're not wanted, in the hood, in a deep recession, is asking for trouble. "I want your car" still happens.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:20 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
What about just driving a nice car? I've noticed beyond Prius and Honda fits the only variety of nice cars I've seen in LA are in Beverly Hills, Culver, Century, basically deep West LA.

I live in the valley and was planning on making my '02 Trans Am Ram Air WS6 look even better with Chavelle rims, new gloss paint, tinted windows, new lights, etc.

I already get stares stock but I think it's mostly from yuppies in Burbank who see me in a V8 with Texas plates.
If you're gonna be spending an extensive amount of time in Gangland, at least drive a Prius.. (supposedly the least stolen vehicle)

Old 07-16-2012, 08:06 PM

10 posts, read 28,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marumut View Post
this is just a bunch of ********. you guys watch too many movies. truth is, you'd be safe driving in any car. in downey, there are no gangs so you don't have anything to worry about. and nobody is just gonna come up to you and give you much trouble for your ride, based on your ride. with the suburban in downey, you might have the problem of 3rd row seat theft if you park at the mall, but that's it. me and my buddies used to drive around in an 85 caprice wagon low rider, blacked out and with gang name decals on the rear widows in a bad area of norwalk, and there we never got any trouble. with that car we were just asking for it. with the suburban, you might get a couple horny teen boys trying to ask you out, because that car just screams "milf with a boob job". sorry owners of suburbans, yukons, navigators, expeditions, hummer h2 and h3, and older escalades, it's just what happens.
thanks for the reply! I'm a guy though lol. I'm getting a burban, silver colored, black tint windows, and dropped about 2-3 inches. Will be driving mostly in the South Gate, Lynwood and Compton area. Probably head to Watts and and more west towards inglewood though. Only because I want to get the know the area first hand.

I grew up in LA till age 9 and going back at age 22. So my teenage life went to waste. But I'm just saying, will a young guy like me get in trouble at nighttime gettting gas in Lynwood/Compton or even going to a fast food dine-in?

I want to know, will gangmembers just shoot me randomly? Or is just gangs on gangs. I dress pretty baggy you could say. I like wearing plain T's. Dickies button-shirts. I'm Latino with slicked back hair. You know.

Last edited by Count David; 07-17-2012 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: expletive in quote

Old 07-16-2012, 08:08 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marumut View Post
That's not bs. Biggie did get shot in a chevy suv. You? They probably thought you were cheerleaders or old people.

Last edited by Count David; 07-17-2012 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: expletive in quote

Old 07-18-2012, 10:41 AM

8 posts, read 23,618 times
Don't believe everything you see in the media as some kind of average situation. If you mind your own business and stay out of known bad areas especially at night your chance of confronting gangsters is slim to none.

Your chance of getting harassed by the police is probably quite a bit higher, but still I always got the impression they had bigger fish to fry than harassing motorists. However when you're a 20-something male driving a customized vehicle they tend to notice you more.

If you really want to find conflict where you have to pack a weapon, join the Army or Marines. They have all you need and more

That said about violent crime, anywhere with street parking and even apartment/condo shared garage parking is not immune to break-ins, especially when your truck says "monster sound system inside."

Old 07-18-2012, 12:39 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,299 times
If you look and dress the part you will get away with it most of the time. But be ready because you will be tested when you come in contact who is a real gangsta. Especially if you are caught slipping at at night. To whoever said that it's all in the movies, no it's real life. Why would you want to bring that upon yourself if you're not from a gang? You're gonna get jumped, robbed, shot or harassed by the cops. Sounds to me like your looking for it.

If you don't believe it, try it out. Go to Wilmington or HP into gang territory and drive by slow in your G ride bumping your system. See what happens.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:57 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Enemy View Post
I'm Latino with slicked back hair. You know.
You've been away a long time ese, vatos don't slick back their hair no more. Not since the early 90's.

You can go old school I guess

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles