U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-27-2012, 09:53 PM

140 posts, read 208,752 times

Advertisements

How much do L.A. MTA bus drivers Make?.......

1. What's the pay steps...like pay in training, after traing, 1 yr, 2yr, ect all the way up to the top pay....can someone break it down?

Also I hear drivers start out at part time...how many hours do they get at minimum on average???
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 07:19 AM

511 posts, read 359,410 times
Some years ago it was about $2800 every two weeks, or $5600 a month, but that was not a senior driver, he was a recent hire, so that was the LOW end.

Put simply, LACMTA bus drivers do pretty darn well. They aren't wealthy, but they do better than most of their peers. The more senior drivers earn more and the Rail operators are at the top of the heap. The Mechanics do VERY well, better than the drivers. LACMTA driver is a good job.

I think they may start you out as a "tripper" meaning that you work only during the rush hours and may only have as little as ONE trip (sometimes 2 trips, or more, depending upon the line, usually the shorter the line, the more trips) for each rush-our period. They use to pay less for part-time, and part-timers were NOT union, so the union didn't want them making the higher union wage, but the last contract negotiations, the Dems pushed the unions to let LACMTA pay the higher union wage even though they would not be in the union. UTW begrudgingly agreed, as they had to admit that the part-timers came from the same lower opportunity neighborhoods as the full timers and should also be allowed to earn the same wage, albeit at fewer hours.

There must be a current LACMTA Rail or Bus operator who has more on the scales.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the Reply bro...

If anyone has any more insight...please help out!!!! I realy want to know if you start out part time.....and at how much...also how long does it take to become full time...thank you

Old 07-29-2012, 02:48 PM

I have another question....

What transist is better to be a driver for.....

1. LA Metro
2. LA DOT
3. Long Beach Transit

Which ones have better pay, benefits, ect.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:00 PM

1,243 posts, read 621,599 times
My guess would be LA Metro but I'm not an expert on the matter either. I'm actually curious to know also. I'll be needing a job when I return to the LA area once I'm out of the Army.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 8,355 times
I'm an operator for LACMTA. Everyone starts out part time. It can take up to 2yrs before you're promoted to full time. Part timers get anywhere btwn 15-30 hrs per week, no overtime.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:21 PM

199 posts, read 86,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
They use to pay less for part-time, and part-timers were NOT union, so the union didn't want them making the higher union wage, but the last contract negotiations, the Dems pushed the unions to let LACMTA pay the higher union wage even though they would not be in the union. UTW begrudgingly agreed, as they had to admit that the part-timers came from the same lower opportunity neighborhoods as the full timers and should also be allowed to earn the same wage, albeit at fewer hours.
Of course, because when you do something so skill-intensive, physically, and mentally taxing as driving a bus around in a loop all day long, how can society not owe you a huge debt of gratitude? If you ask me, bus drivers should make even more. It's not fair that a doctor makes more than a bus driver. All people should make the same, no matter what they do. We need to elect more democrats to fight this social inequality!

Old 08-16-2013, 04:28 PM

9,057 posts, read 5,865,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashi View Post
Of course, because when you do something so skill-intensive, physically, and mentally taxing as driving a bus around in a loop all day long, how can society not owe you a huge debt of gratitude? If you ask me, bus drivers should make even more. It's not fair that a doctor makes more than a bus driver. All people should make the same, no matter what they do. We need to elect more democrats to fight this social inequality!
From your posting history, I know you are being sarcastic.

But being a LACMTA driver (or a driver for any transit agency) is not an easy job, and driving one of those buses around would take a lot of skill. Mashi, if you had ever set foot on a bus in your life you would know what kind of BS these people have to deal with on a daily basis. It does seem like the pay is a little high if 60k is the low-end, but is still generally in the right arena for the position. I'd be curious to know how much a UPS driver makes, because I think being a bus driver is a more difficult position. Now for those that operate the Red and Purple Lines, doesn't seem like as hard of a job but probably is harder than it looks (because unlike some posters on City-Data, I don't like to spout off on things I know absolutely nothing about).

Old 08-16-2013, 07:29 PM

199 posts, read 86,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
From your posting history, I know you are being sarcastic.

But being a LACMTA driver (or a driver for any transit agency) is not an easy job, and driving one of those buses around would take a lot of skill. Mashi, if you had ever set foot on a bus in your life you would know what kind of BS these people have to deal with on a daily basis. It does seem like the pay is a little high if 60k is the low-end, but is still generally in the right arena for the position. I'd be curious to know how much a UPS driver makes, because I think being a bus driver is a more difficult position. Now for those that operate the Red and Purple Lines, doesn't seem like as hard of a job but probably is harder than it looks (because unlike some posters on City-Data, I don't like to spout off on things I know absolutely nothing about).
My uncle was a bus driver in a city far more technically demanding to navigate than LA. At the end of the day, it's driving a bus. Not without its challenges but also not something that 95% of the population couldn't do if given a 2 week training course to learn the ropes.

My issue isn't with bus drivers but with the moron politicians overstepping their bounds and forcing the MTA to modify their pay scale. What right does a politician have to tell a company how much they have to pay their employees? Is the politician the one that has a vested interest in the business succeeding? Is the politician the one that's going to have to lay employees off to make payroll? No, the politician is just a leech with a BS degree that doesn't realize he's a cancer on society. Let the MTA run their business and do what they deem fit. Maybe then we could actually get a viable public transportation system in this city instead of a bunch of politically-backed social experiments.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 5,659 times
Posting is kind of stale - so to update (and correct some bad info):

1. LACMTA bus drivers start as part time
2. Driver training can run up to 7 weeks (40hrs/wk)
3. Pay during training is $11.41/hr
4. Pay after training is $14.81/hr
5. Top wage is $18.23/hr after 30 mos seniority
6. New drivers get 15-30 hrs/wk depending on Division needs - no overtime
7. If you go from part time to regular (based on seniority) you may get overtime
8. You pay for your own uniforms (allowance given after 1st year)
9. Mandatory union dues (around $80.00/mo
10. Mandatory retirement savings (4.5%)

Benefit package is available to part time drivers.
Starting driver may make as little as $10.500/yr and $38,000/yr after 30 months. Plan to be hungry when starting out.

Info as of Jan 2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles