Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2007, 08:17 AM
Swr Swr started this thread

4 posts, read 19,705 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My wife and I are finally moving to California in a week and have been using Westside rentals to look up apartments. We have narrowed the apartments down to some in the following locations:

Redondo Beach
Hermosa Beach
Torrance

My question is are those places fairly safe? Also, before deciding on an Apartment, we will be staying in Harbor City or Carson temporarily. Are both of those places fairly safe or should we find a different hotel?

We are moving from Tokyo, Japan, and will be brining our dog with us that we originally brought from America to Japan a few years back. Because of this, we had to find a dog friendly hotel to stay in, the only ones we could find are in Harbor City and Carson.

Well, if anybody has experience in any of the areas above, please let me know. Also, are there some streets that you should absolutely stay away from? I know the general area of Compton is not a very good idea, but are there any less obvious ones?

Just trying to not take a shortcut to get somewhere and wind up in gang territory.

Thanks in advance,

Swr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 09:32 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Harbor City and Carson (and East Torrance/Harbor Gateway) are not exactly the bastions of safety in Southern California, but if you are staying at a hotel and sticking to major streets there shouldn't be too much trouble. I would avoid wandering aimlessly around the streets especially in the evenings. People in "less than desireable" areas are not going to pounce on you at the drop of a hat - for the most part if you mind your business and look like you know where you're going and know what you're doing, you shouldn't have to worry about a thing.

Focus your attention on getting a decent place to rent as soon as you get here. Redondo, Hermosa, and South or West Torrance are very nice places to rent. I would avoid North and East Torrance. You will find it a challenge to find a landlord who will take dogs, but if you want I can recommend some apartment complexes in the areas that are pet friendly (for extra rent and increased security deposit of course). Just send me a PM.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,294 times
Redondo beach, and hermosa are very safe but I coulden't call harber city or carson neccessarily as safe. It is more run down and there is more crime. I woulden't be afraid personaly. I would just air on the safe side when leaving your hotel.
Bless you in your journeys!

Old 10-14-2007, 10:49 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times
There are many pet friendly hotels/motels in all parts of the city. Why not stay in Redondo Beach rather than Carson. Here are a few hotels and the link. I would suggest you stay in Redondo or Manhattan Beach. Much Nicer Area. The Marriott in Manhattan (on parkview) is very close to a nice shopping mall on Rosecrans & Sepulveda.

Only California Pet Friendly Hotels and Motels

Best Western Redondo Beach Inn, 1850 South Pacific Coast Highway
Redondo Beach, CA 90277 US

Residence Inn by Marriott Manhattan Beach, 1700 North Sepulveda Boulevard
Manhattan Beach, CA 90266

Marriott Manhattan Beach, 1400 Parkview Ave, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266

These are closer to the Airport: South in El Segundo.

Homestead Studio Suites: 1910 E. Mariposa Ave. El Segundo 310-607-4000
We welcome one pet per stay. The charge is $25.00 for one night stays, $50.00 for two night stays, and $75.00 for any stay of three nights or longer.

Extended Stay Hotel: 6531 S. Sepulveda Blvd, Torrance or Hawthorne 310-568-9337

Marriott Hotel: 2135 El Segundo Boulevard El Segundo, CA 90245 US

Embassy Suites 1440 East Imperial Avenue, El Segundo, CA 90245 (very, very close to the Airport and runways, south)

All of these hotels are not far from Redondo, Torrance, Hermosa etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles