Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 09:24 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
are these lien claimant jobs where someone collects debt incurred by insurance companies in workers comp cases, a dime a dozen? My fiance just got one of these jobs and for the work done and time on the phone, they only pay ten bucks an hour. The only perk is that it's full time.

It seems like the turnover is high too.

We were desperate for her to find a job. She didn't really have time to scour the want ads so took the first job she could.

She has a degree and ample experience in office work, research and what not. Should she have take the job or do you think she can quit and look for another job?
Hilarious you mention this - my wife is the insurance company's attorney she faces off with, so I am pretty familiar with the job... To be honest they are a dime a dozen, it's a pretty miserable job, requires very little skill. I don't know if you are familiar with those "marketing" jobs that are all over these days, if you are, this is slightly better. That being said, the job market is slim so she might want to just do this job until she finds something better, which she probably will eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 10:28 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,624,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Hilarious you mention this - my wife is the insurance company's attorney she faces off with, so I am pretty familiar with the job... To be honest they are a dime a dozen, it's a pretty miserable job, requires very little skill. I don't know if you are familiar with those "marketing" jobs that are all over these days, if you are, this is slightly better. That being said, the job market is slim so she might want to just do this job until she finds something better, which she probably will eventually.

Yes, she hates it. It's so much memorization of legal terms and for the pay it's not worth it. There was very little training and people who didn't cut it were being picked off and easily replaced with others quick.

What about working for the local community colleges, libraries, non-profits? We live in NoHo with easy access to Burbank, Studio City, Universal, Sherman Oaks, etc. Is the economy effected that bad there as much as in metro LA?

Where should she even begin looking?

Old 08-09-2012, 12:53 AM

671 posts, read 1,189,851 times
[quote=BarcelonaFan;25392657]LA seems like there is more of a chance of making it, not because it's a weaker city than NYC but there isn't this I'm gonna kill your sister if I have to, to get to the top, vibe.

In other words people in LA are nicer and less rude than NYC (although LA is the king of ignoring you even exist), and yes, the legacy here is that your family name is means NOTHING and merit and hard work is rewarded, and, frankly, people work harder here because of it and more competent, especially our government (no matter how bad people in LA think their government is) and our law enforcement and fire services are far more competent than how NYC has allowed legions of incompetent indivduals for public safety, (I know several New Yorkers who sadly admit that NYPD is "useless" and now we know NYPD has been fudging the numbers to make the stats look better than they really are, as in they are not nearly as effective as the fixed numbers indicate, but that's NYC and some people LOVE it for those reasons. Obtaining a position or phoney-baloney, high paying job simply because one has the family name is really seen as weak and pathetic. And by the way, a lot of former New Yorkers agree! New York is The Metropolitan Opera (a STATE of New York institution, not an NYC one like the now even worse although pretty bad before New York City Opera), The Metropolitan Museum (another STATE of New York institution, not a City one, and even then only for its size of collection but always better examples of the same artists at other museums of the world, including museums in the LA area), the Guggenheim, and, of course, Wall Street, and that's about it. Although the Tri-state area OUTSIDE of NYC is far more aesthetic in appearance and has much to offer and enjoy. Sorry, D.C, Chicago, et al. are more impressive in positive ways.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:46 AM

767 posts, read 1,743,015 times
Im just waiting for the NYC ppl to barge into this thread and tell the NYC naysayers theyre all just jealous. And crying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles