Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:25 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbeachhomes View Post
Taking the bus is okay here in Socal, but the commute time is killer. Been there. Better to drive or car pool. You'll have time to do other things than sit in the bus forever! Some bus routes mean you have to connect in really bad areas. We had a friend who refused to drive had bottles thrown at him at a bus stop. He was in Watts at the wrong time of nite.
I'm living in Glendale now and I was surprised to find out that they have these local buses (I think it's called the Glendale beeline) that just run around Glendale. They cost 25 cents to ride. They run up and down most of the major streets though they even have one that goes all the way out to JPL!

Burbank might have something like that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 4,865 times
Hi,

I am considering moving to LA. Would like to know more about the job market (finance and accounting jobs), and the average utility bill for 2 bd. condo (water, electricity, etc.)

Old 10-16-2007, 05:07 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
There are places in the L.A. area with thoroughly decent public transportation. Burbank isn't one of them. You can get around on the bus but they don't run as often and there aren't as many lines in Burbank as there are other places. mta.net is a great resource, you can use the trip planner to find out how to get places.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:16 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times
you can live in burbank and not have a car very easily.

You are lucky to have the option to live and work close by.

Try and find an apartment close to the shopping center so you will be close to entertainment, food, retail etc. Get yourself a bike and ride to work.

It wont be that far and you may enjoy finding the best route to and from work.

The metro rail goes right by empire, so you also have that option.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:15 PM

9 posts, read 42,593 times
Default Quick response to your "problem"

I'm struck by the fact that you are moving to a city where everyone lives in their car and it is a necessity to have one. Not having a car in Los Angeles puts you at a distinct disadvantage as opposed to living in New York or Boston where public transportation is abundant. Also, this isn't an inexpensive place to live. No car, not a lot of money = problems. Good luck!

Old 10-16-2007, 03:37 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times
Hey Greatfire,

Don't let the commuter crowd talk you into the theory that you need a car to survive.

Your doing the right thing by looking around burbank for a residence. There are some very nice areas out there and they far outnumber any less desirable burbank neighborhoods.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:37 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Hey Greatfire,

Don't let the commuter crowd talk you into the theory that you need a car to survive.

Your doing the right thing by looking around burbank for a residence. There are some very nice areas out there and they far outnumber any less desirable burbank neighborhoods.
I want to revise my response a little to say that despite the fact that Burbank doesn't have the best PT in Southern California, it's not terribly difficult to live there without a car. I agree with Greg. I still take PT by choice (and I own a car) for shorter trips.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,892 times
Default a pretty good arrangement...

when i lived in burbank, i had a car but i found it more fun to bike around the city. it is mostly flat and has lots of mellow residential streets on an easy to follow grid. you could live down in magnolia park - safe, quiet, decent shops and services and ride real easy to that building in 15 minutes. you'll get an energy boost in the process, and you can ride out to a lunch spot or even get an errand or two done at lunch time. having lived there for just one year actually weened me away from my car... for the last ten years i've lived in echo park in l.a. where there's crazy hills and narrower streets and a way more urban intensity but i still mostly ride the bike. but the easy streets of burbank got me started.

Last edited by echo park; 10-20-2007 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 10-28-2007, 08:46 PM

70 posts, read 295,585 times
bump.

Specific apartments? Any corners that I should avoid?

Old 10-28-2007, 08:59 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMYK View Post
I think it's doable, if you're willing to put up with the inconveniences of walking in a city that's designed for cars.

The song lyrics "no one walks in LA" is very true. However, there are actually quite a few buses around, and the trains (the few of them that there are) can get you over to the hotspots for the most part. Check out MTA.net.

However, LA is in no ways a city like Chicago or NY where you can easily get by without owning a car. Everything here is spread out and even your 'local' bakery or watering hole takes time to get to.

The worst part is that since most people drive everywhere, there's usually not a lot of other people walking around. So it might get you a few stares and honks (especially if you're of the feminine persuasion) since you might be the only one around that's actually using the sidewalk.

This of course depends on where you are since some areas in themselves are very pedestrian friendly (downtown Burbank, Toluca Lake, Media District, Empire Center, downtown Glendale), but most people drive to these places, park, then hang out and walk around.
How do people go out drinking to their "watering holes" without having to drive to get there? Is taxi service plentiful and reasonable in LA? I always wondered this about LA. I hear the night life is superb, but how does one go out safely without having to drive? It doesn't take much drinking to get a DUI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles