U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 11:52 AM

4 posts, read 3,063 times

Advertisements

I have been offered a fantastic job in west Hollywood and will be relocating from Denver. My husband will be working from home. I would like to live within walking/biking distance from my job and a daycare but don't know how realistic that is in west Hollywood. I have about a $2300 budget per month for a 2 bedroom apt. I have a 6 month old daughter as well. We are looking to be within walking distance of shops and amenities etc.

My question is, is west Hollywood suitable for a young family or should I look elsewhere? We are originally from NYC so the crime isn't a huge deal but I also didn't have a baby then either.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 02:36 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,427,645 times
West Hollywood is a safe, very walkable to everything, and nice. It's geared toward younger singles who like to have fun (and rent controlled bitter dinosaurs)... but there are parts that are decently kid friendly. You can definitely afford a nice 2br in West Hollywood or nearby with that budget. If you do live in West Hollywood, live south of Santa Monica Blvd (between Santa Monica Blvd and Sunset is NOT kid friendly at all.. that's where all the clubs/bars are located and gets pretty rough at night) closer to Melrose or Beverly. Between Doheny and La Cienega. That area includes parts of West Hollywood and also Beverly Grove, a quiet nice neighborhood in the city of LA.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:36 PM

37 posts, read 69,666 times
Nicely said disgruntled LA native...

Old 08-05-2012, 01:11 PM

Thanks so much. Some friends are reccomending we try Santa Monica. I that a far commute with traffic?

Old 08-05-2012, 03:08 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,659,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crsumpter View Post
Thanks so much. Some friends are reccomending we try Santa Monica. I that a far commute with traffic?
Distance-wise no. Time-wise? It can be extremely frustrating as the surface roads between Santa Monica and West Hollywood are some of the most congested in the US. For example, right now on a Sunday at 1 PM, to drive the 9 miles between SM and WeHo it would take 29 minutes in current traffic. I would imagine it gets much worse for the weekday commute.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:38 PM

Santa Monica is alot more kid friendly - also more expensive. You can find a 2br in your budget just not as easily or as nice as you would in WeHo or adjacent. And yeah the commute is only 8-9 miles but there's no freeway access and you have to pass thru super congested areas like Westwood, Century City, and Beverly Hills. Without traffic it's 25 minutes, witih typical rush hour traffic it's usually 45-60 min each way.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:44 PM

All great advice, thanks so much. The address of the job is 9000 sunset blvd. is it still walk able for shops etc south of Santa Monica blvd? I would like to be near restaurants and stores still while avoiding the nightclub crowd. Is that
Available in west Hollywood? Looks like I'm in a bit of a time crunch and need to find a place for sept 1!

Old 08-10-2012, 09:27 PM

Doheny Blvd to the west, Crescent Heights Blvd to the east, Melrose Ave to the north and Beverly Blvd to the south fit what you need. The neighborhoods are called West Hollywood West and Beverly Grove. A very short drive to your job and away from the club scene. Safe, lots of families, schools nearby. Walking distance to most amenities (restaurants, drug stores, supermarkets, banks, etc... and the large Beverly Center mall which has everything anyway)

Old 08-11-2012, 08:31 AM

I searched for a few hours yesterday and could only find 2-3 buildings in that area. Anyone have any good resources for apartment hunting?

Old 08-11-2012, 12:23 PM

Westside rentals, rent.com.

The problem is that area doesn't have very many big well publicized corporate complexes that advertise online (while the "party" area by santa monica blvd and sunset blvd have a lot of them). It's mostly smaller hence the family friendly aspect. Your best bet is to walk through the neighborhoods and look at for lease signs. But if you're not in the area yet the above two sites can expand your selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or