Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 01:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,487 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I am planning on moving down to LA in the next few weeks and would love some help on where to live. I will be a graduate student at USC at the Medical Campus (near where Hwy 5 and 10 cross). I have heard that the Pasadena/South Pasadena area is a great place to live. However, to complicate things more, I am considering taking a job at Chapman University. I realize that these two places are not very close to each other. However, I'm looking for recommendations on good areas to look for places to live. I realize that I likely will not have the best commute, but where should I look to try and live to help minimize this. I'm less worried about the price of the rent in the community than the commute and living in a safe area for young professionals.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 08:58 AM

151 posts, read 299,201 times
Pasadena is an excellent choice. Glendale might be a little cheaper rent and the same distance. Check out Monrovia or one of the cities east of Pasadena on the 210 freeway to get closer to Chapman. I know you can get a studio in Glendale for $750.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:48 AM

671 posts, read 1,189,851 times
Well, both Pasadena and Chapman University in Orange have public transit options depending upon your hours

Gold Line serving South Pasadena and Pasadena 6-7 minute headways during rush hours. Take to Union Station. USC provides shuttles at Union Station to the USC Medical campus area for employees and others. In addition, there is a 2 minute bus ride from Union Station to the LAC+USC County General Hospital platform along the El Monte Busway, but you would be traveling opposite commute traffic, so the USC shuttles to the Med area may be best.

As for Chapman University, there is a Metrolink station (Orange station in the city of Orange) a few blocks from the campus. Metrolink is our regional commuter train service (as opposed to the LACMTA who operate the Gold Line). The commute pattern with the most train service is mornings from Orange station up to LA Union Station (same place as your USC shuttle and Gold Line) and afternoon OUT of LA to Orange station. There is opposite commute service, as well, but fewer trains, obviously.

For info about Gold Line and other Metro rail and bus service go to
www-dot-mta-dot-net

For commuter train service to Orange and back, go to
www-metrolinktrains-com

Be open and think with innovation as you could also choose to live someplace like Fullerton in Orange county, an EASY drive to nearby Orange and the Chapman University Campus, but commute UP to USC Med via Metrolink going WITH the commute pattern with many more train options including Amtrak trains that honor Metrolink Monthly pass holders and serve some Metrolink stations, not all.

I guess it all boils down to your days and hours and for your Med school and job at Chapman. Please let us know how it develops.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:13 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
I would not work and go to school so far apart....You are looking at chewing up a VERY large amount of time in commute, whether you drive or use public transport.

The area thats roughly equal distance in between the two and is an acceptable community(safe) is Whittier. Not exactly a young professionals place. The one negative of Whittier is that its a 10-15 minute drive just to get to the freeways from the nicer parts of Whittier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles