Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 08:13 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,626,604 times

Advertisements

The only mean people Ive ever run into were clearly stressed out and stung out. The city took it's toll on them.

The ruddest would be some of the foreigners like Swedish tourists in Hollywood who think they're the bees knees or older Armenian men who are just fed up with life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 06:52 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I'm one of those natives who hardly ever watches TV, so that observation how how little relevance Hollywood has on a lot of L.A. is definitely true!

The one myth that keeps coming up over and over again is that L.A. is shallow and vapid. No, only the people who are trying to break into the entertainment industry are like that! L.A. has a multi-tiered economy, and entertainment is only a portion of it. The working class people are hardly star-struck and all about "me, me, me".

My stress level has gone up in the last year or two, but not because I live here. It's because of my job; I'm being asked to always do more with less. However, this is probably an American problem/phenomenon, and not anything to do with L.A. in particular!

Old 08-14-2012, 08:38 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,442 times
Great insight from someone who didnt grow up there. And here is my take, from someone who did...

1. LA is mean or rude.
People in most areas are not walking around greeting everyone. But they are certainly not against friendliness. Just reserved, minding their own business as drivers who may seem zealous, but also more courteous than many others cities that I have lived in.

2. LA is all about glamour. This maybe be true in some areas. But in general yes folks tend to be very cool and chill, but dig the nice things in life. Some who are paid well like the glamorous Sunset Strip life but not really conceited.

3. Gangbangers in LA are scarier than in the films. Yes many gangsters who are tatted up look scary and have lead the roughest kind of life. But why would'nt they? Its a very dangerous way to live, when you never know who's going to pop up and blast you. But they're also all about their business. And if you mind yours and stay out of the way, you need'nt worry. Theyre still human beings, not werewolves.

4. LA is fancy. Yes, outside of West LA in the real city that isnt in the movies, Angelenos do manage to make the most of their older neighborhoods. Los Angeles is a lot friendlier than the people from the so called non-ghetto areas claim. People love to elevate themselves above the ethnic areas, commonly referred to as "ghetto", by dissing them when they probably havent spent 2 minutes bothering to tolerate them at most. Especially those who live by TV media.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:48 PM

LA is wonderful and I grew up in a nice area of Houston,TX, but I prefer non-West LA.

I've been out there five times and four out of those five I've had a pretty ok time but nothing like I've had in Central, DTLA, the Valley or the East.

Most of the time in the West I am talking to transplants that love LA but never ventured past WeHo. They call East Hollywood; the "****e" Hollywood, (I kidd you not, I've heard them). I mean, that area can just be unbearable sometimes. Too many people trying to make it in the scene and that's really messed with their minds as much as their egos.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:49 PM

And I never meant to offend gangmembers. The point was that in the movies they paint them out to look just like regular folk wearing baggy jeans. That's why people associate anyone wearing baggy clothes and are ethnic as "gangbangers".

Real gangbangers look like they've been banging and have had a hard as heck life. They're tatted up and have a more menacing look.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:06 PM

184 posts, read 353,584 times
Interesting insights. I was born and raised in L.A and lived all over different parts of the city :Beverly Hills,West LA, the South Bay (yes technically not L.A) ,Hollywood and the Valley.

Everyone in L.A is rich/has money - I think it would surprise many people that there are a ton of poor people in L.A . The city is sadly becoming one where the rich are served by the poor and the middle class has disappeared.

Everyone in L.a is in the film industry
- I used to think this one WAS true...but maybe because I grew up on the Westside and I had family that was in the film industry. Now I know that there are MANY MANY people not in the film industry.

Rent in L.A is superexpensive - Rent in L.A can be expensive , but since its such a big city (not like Manhattan or SF) there is actually quite a bit of supply. Also I've found that there is a big different between living in an older building versus a new one. Sometimes it's more than a 50% difference in rent. That being said rent in L.A is high compared to some other cities but I think the perception is that you need to be really rich to live in L.A which isnt totally true. Buying is a whole other subject though.

L.A doesn't have any "culture" - I'm not really sure how this myth started. I think that is might come from East Coasters that don't see the same European culture/roots in L.A so they assume there is no culture. I think this is kind of a racist mentality because you don't need to look far to see there is a ton of culture and people of MANY cultures in L.A . In addition we have countless museums, theaters, concert halls , galleries ,etc .

Nobody takes the bus, nobody bikes - This is mostly because the people doing the walking and bus/bike riding are not white. There are clearly many many people taking the bus/biking...

Old 08-14-2012, 02:56 PM

I love LA to the core but it is a third world city, no doubt. And I do not mean in the sense that it's ugly but that the disparity between rich and poor is not only evident but on full display.

The massive canyon of a gap between these two groups has created two polar different cities. Yet, to everyone's surprise who visits and actually gives the other half a chance; the non-Westside/glam areas win by a mile.

I am actually surprised by those out in West LA and how they do not venture past WeHo and are almost proud of it?!

It's almost as if they're trying to define cool by their little trendy areas and miss out on what's really going on. They tend to miss what's really a whole lot better and actually "cooler" (without trying too).

Another myth: West LA is the best LA. The "cool" LA.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:15 PM

184 posts, read 353,584 times
I do think there are a lot of Westsiders that prob don't want to venture too far, but its hard to say for sure if there is any data on this. I think West LA is nice because it's pretty safe, but you are right it might not have the same hip/cool factor of some of the neighborhoods further East. This makes sense as West LA is quite expensive in terms of real estate so it's going to be hard for younger people to live there. Also the young people that can afford it are most likely going to be like lawyers/doctors, , not artsy types. I'm guessing the rent is going to be cheaper in a Highland Park type are versus Santa Monica or West L.A if you are wanting to open a bar for example.

L.A is lacking in affordable , safe , cool neighborhoods . One reason why I am considering leaving!

Also gentrification isn't happening quick enough in my opinion. A lot of this is due to the economy/recession in general..but I think there are other factors that limit gentrification such an incompetent city government. City of L.A doesn't seem to be able to get it together the way Santa Monica has with it's 3rd St Promenade and Culver City has with the Downtown Culver City area. I think it really takes business people, citizens and local government to change a neighborhood .

Old 08-14-2012, 03:22 PM

But LA does have Silverlake, Westlake, Fairfax, Koreatown, DTLA, Echo Park, the Valley; NoHo.

Heck I'd rather hang out in Pasadena before West LA sometimes.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:30 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bophisto View Post
I do think there are a lot of Westsiders that prob don't want to venture too far, but its hard to say for sure if there is any data on this. I think West LA is nice because it's pretty safe, but you are right it might not have the same hip/cool factor of some of the neighborhoods further East. This makes sense as West LA is quite expensive in terms of real estate so it's going to be hard for younger people to live there. Also the young people that can afford it are most likely going to be like lawyers/doctors, , not artsy types. I'm guessing the rent is going to be cheaper in a Highland Park type are versus Santa Monica or West L.A if you are wanting to open a bar for example.

L.A is lacking in affordable , safe , cool neighborhoods . One reason why I am considering leaving!

Also gentrification isn't happening quick enough in my opinion. A lot of this is due to the economy/recession in general..but I think there are other factors that limit gentrification such an incompetent city government. City of L.A doesn't seem to be able to get it together the way Santa Monica has with it's 3rd St Promenade and Culver City has with the Downtown Culver City area. I think it really takes business people, citizens and local government to change a neighborhood .
In my opinion gentrification seems to be pretty rapid - In Hollywood alone there are 7-10 huge mixed use and/or retail projects that have broken ground or are very close. But compared to Downtown LA, Hollywood is left in the dust. It is astounding how fast the Historic Core and other parts of Downtown have new shops, parks and buildings going up. The Spring Street Park is a perfect example: Kickstarter Fundraiser: Birth of an Urban (Spring Street) Park in Downtown LA

Quote:
But LA does have Silverlake, Westlake, Fairfax, Koreatown, DTLA, Echo Park, the Valley; NoHo.

Heck I'd rather hang out in Pasadena before West LA sometimes.
It's funny, these are the only places I ever hang out. I guess I just figured most people that live in these areas would stick to Central LA and the close in East Valley neighborhoods.

I guess I know a couple people that live in West LA and never venture out to DTLA or Hollywood, though they never brag about it, I just don't think they find a need to travel so far through terrible traffic to get here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles