Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2012, 08:45 PM

2 posts, read 30,872 times

Advertisements

I live in a small unincorporated community in Los Angeles. Parking is a big issue because many of us have multiple vehicles. However, I have had problems with two neighbors and am wondering what some of my options are.

Every house has a space for about two cars to be parked in front of their house, just to give a visual.

Two of my neighbors have started an all out parking war. They both have decided that the space in front of their house is theirs and for no one else. They will leave their trash cans out, park in the the center of the median to prevent other cars from parking, they won't utilize their driveway for parking but instead they will guard their spot in front of their house, etc. The frustrating thing is is that when they park in front of other people's homes, they park in the center of the median as well so that homeowner has to park elsewhere. However, when these people have had construction or parties, they park right up against other people's bumpers if there is no space or partially block driveways.

Frankly, I'm tired of it. Most of my neighbors are great people who are willing to do anything. If somebody is unloading groceries, several neighbors will walk out to help. However, these two neighbors are spoiling everything with their attitude. Right now, our community is facing a year long construction project in which each side of the street will be closed for a period of time. Right now, my side is being worked on so I'm constantly in search of parking during the day. But after my side is done, their side will be worked on, meaning they will likely be in my space.

Just as a clue in to who I'm dealing with:

Neighbor #1: A young couple who recently bought a home about a year ago. Complete derelicts. The home was paid for by mommy and daddy. They have numerous police calls for domestic violence.

Neighbor #2: Retired, thinks he owns the entire neighborhood, will not speak to anybody and when he does it's on his terms. He's very brash and passive aggressive. For example, he refuses to speak or wave to anybody but when he accidentally cut himself he was banging on my door to see if I could drive him to the hospital and when I opened the door he just barged in.

Are there any laws against this? I don't mind rattling parking enforcement's cage, but I can't seem to find any ordinances (expect with regards to the trash cans, but parking in the center of the allotted space is a big issue)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 01:47 PM

6,115 posts, read 12,480,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfycal View Post
Are there any laws against this? I don't mind rattling parking enforcement's cage, but I can't seem to find any ordinances (expect with regards to the trash cans, but parking in the center of the allotted space is a big issue)
No, assuming you're correct that this is an unincorporated area of LAco (actually, I can't think of any other muni codes that prohibit this type of idiotic behavior either, unfortunately.)

Simply parking like an *******, in the middle of a normal parking space on a residential street, in and of itself, is not illegal.

All of LA County's parking laws are discussed in Title 16, Chapter 64 of the County Code.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 30,872 times
Thanks for responding and for your help.

I'll check out the laws the Title and Section, but I'm sure you're right.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:02 PM

4,525 posts, read 12,334,726 times
I will state up front that I am not familiar with the laws of unincorporated LA County. However, in the City of San Diego there are regulations that require people to take their trash cans in from the curb by a specific time on trash pick up day. As for non-trash days, they wouldn't be allowed on the street at all.

As for parking on the street, it's a free-for-all. First come; first served.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:03 AM

110 posts, read 235,473 times
unfortunately, the parking is public, so it is first come first serve, and i don't think that there is any law against them parking in the center of the spot or putting out their trash in unincorporated co. but in other cities there are rules against these types of things.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:06 PM

4 posts, read 18,528 times
the OP means unincorporated as in it is not in a subdivision or HOA, right?

Anyway, in most areas, incorporated city, unincorporated county/town, etc there is a fine for leaving your trash can on the street.

Have you contacted sanitation? I've had a similar problem here on the east coast, maybe its an epidemic. about 9/10 times, the person confronted while putting the garbage can on the street to block other cars from parking, appears to pretend to not understand any English.

Sanitation did come out after I called in complaints and issued ticket/summons/fine(s) when the cans were still there not anywhere around collection time. Since your streets are not incorporated (owned by a subdivision) it is likely legal to take pics or video of the cans on the street as evidence of the public disturbance.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:16 PM

6,115 posts, read 12,480,001 times
No, unincorporated meaning it is not an incorporated city, land governed by county code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-01-2013, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 14,260 times
I have the same problem on my street with two neighbors. They come out yelling at any of my visitors that park in front of their houses or even worse if one of my sister's friends are parked in front of our home waiting for her they come out and question them on who they are waiting for. They both leave their driveways completely empty and will park their cars and trash cans on the street to limit parking to anyone else. And worse of all, when I do park my car on the street they call parking enforcement and often lie that the car has been out on the street for 72 hours or more. I live in unincorporated L.A. County, there are no signs posted about parking on my street, yet the parking enforcement still comes out, red tags my car then sits and chats with the neighbors for about 20 min EVERYTIME. To me this is harassment but I have no idea where to turn to.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:43 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,095,758 times
i have a passive aggressive neighbor as well. when something reaches the boiling point, i go knock on his door. i know he's home, but he never answers the door. i then go home and type up a note and leave it for him. this usually works for a while until another issues arises. i would consider dealing with your neighbors face to face if possible. if you show them that you are a decent person who has occasional guests that need to park on the street, hopefully they can get over themselves.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:45 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,831,264 times
I live in a city that has a no overnight parking ordinance, so no one owns more than they can fit in their garages and on their driveways. My street is fairly empty during the day and completely empty at night.

Down several blocks, there is a piece of unincorporated LA County land, and some of the residents there line their streets with extra cars, and some would own like 6-7 cars. Many of these extra cars are there almost 24/7.

It really doesn't concern me directly, but I think street parking in residential areas can easily be abused by selfish individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles