Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 12:54 AM

5,977 posts, read 13,117,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
It depends on when you are talking about.

LA used to have no smog, low crime (people left their doors unlocked) and the largest light rail system in the world. You could ride it from Pasadena to as far south as Newport Beach and all over the westside, downtown, Redlands, San Bernardino and San Fernando. It will take 50 years or longer to back to anything close to that.
Before LA got to be of any significant size maybe. I don't think anyone still alive really remembers when there was not smog and low crime. (Raymond Chandler anyone? - and I'm not necessarily talking about the C-D member).

I do agree about the light rail system. But there is metrolink as well as the metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 09:56 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,405,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersWon310 View Post
-Best Weather
-Better than NY (LA offers what NY has but everything is spread out plus no snow)
-Vegas is a 2-hour drive
-Staples Center
i just love how insecure people must always label NY when speaking on their cities. Thanks for thinking about us.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:12 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
i just love how insecure people must always label NY when speaking on their cities. Thanks for thinking about us.
I love how insecure people are from NYC that come onto the LA board and post about their city.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:42 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,405,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I love how insecure people are from NYC that come onto the LA board and post about their city.
must be talking about someone else because my post wasnt about L.A at all.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:03 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Hey - no fair. I've always been complimentary of LA whenever I post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Before LA got to be of any significant size maybe. I don't think anyone still alive really remembers when there was not smog and low crime. (Raymond Chandler anyone? - and I'm not necessarily talking about the C-D member).

I do agree about the light rail system. But there is metrolink as well as the metro.
Well, give Metro credit. They're trying to expand the rail system as fast as possible despite some questionable decisions and resistance they're facing. There's something to like about LA - actively supporting more transportation options.

Last edited by K 22; 08-23-2012 at 12:19 PM..

Old 08-24-2012, 02:17 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,135 times
Because it has something for everyone.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:31 AM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,011 times
proximity to mountains, ocean, desert (it may take hours to get to some of these places b/c of traffic) but if you time your travel right, they're all very close.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:27 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
LA was like a the successful kid that threw his life away and is currently in rehab.
Ridiculous. L.A. wasn't going to remain Mayberry-ish forever. Pining for the days when the city was smallish seems contradictory, given your undying love of NYC and Chicago. The growing pains the city went through are not unlike what other major cities went through, and now crime is at historic lows, with smog nowhere near as prevalent as it once was. L.A. is actually one of the greenest cities in the country, trendsetting yet again.

Chucking the railway was a mistake. A correctable one.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:21 PM

184 posts, read 353,484 times
Greenest cities in the country...find that a little hard to believe.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:48 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Ridiculous. L.A. wasn't going to remain Mayberry-ish forever. Pining for the days when the city was smallish seems contradictory, given your undying love of NYC and Chicago. The growing pains the city went through are not unlike what other major cities went through, and now crime is at historic lows, with smog nowhere near as prevalent as it once was. L.A. is actually one of the greenest cities in the country, trendsetting yet again.

Chucking the railway was a mistake. A correctable one.
He's just glorifying the past. From what I hear the PE lines sucked - slow and uncomfortable. They would probably have ended up being just as stigmatized as the buses ended up being. That stuff would have had to be ripped out eventually and replaced with a modern system, it's too bad it happened the way it did, but what can you do? Oh yeah, exactly what LA is doing, creating the most ambitious transit expansion plan in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles