U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:07 PM
 
2,720 posts, read 2,389,603 times
Reputation: 1233

Advertisements

What is so hard to figure out? People say areas are ghetto, old, whatever all the time.

You say West LA is bougie and people flip a wig saying that's generalizing. Certain areas are working class and others are more affluent. There will be different tastes and outlooks on life. Certain attitudes are formed.

I know in America we sweep rhe issue of class under the rug but it's a reality.

This is about as ridiculous as when a politician is accused of "class warfare" when anyone questions the rich's motives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Corona del Mar
298 posts, read 215,912 times
Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I've never really been to west L.A. For me, the yuppieness is a put off.
Okay, what is wrong with the above statement?

If you've never really been to west LA, how do you know what it is like?

And then you have these two contradictory statements, "I guess it's because I can't relate" and "For me, real is the part of the city people are afraid to go to. Not really because it's bad, but aesthetically, it isn't inviting".

So you won't go a place you've never been because you fear you wouldn't relate, but you really don't know because you've never been? Isn't that a little circularly illogical?

And to further complicate it, you expect others to go to where you live and who you think don't go because they are afraid? How about because they can't relate?

If La Azteca is a place in your neighborhood, then you live in Atwater Village? Hardly the barrio. I am sure lots of westsiders have been pretty close to La Azteca because the Tam O'Shanter Inn has been a long time popular place, especially with the Hollywood crowd.

And who hasn't been to Dinah's Fried Chicken on San Fernando, 1/2 a mile from La Azteca or ridden at the stables on Rigali Ave?


Do yourself a favor. Get out of your comfort zone and go explore the westside. It has plenty or real people, real dives and real nooks and crannies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:32 PM
 
2,720 posts, read 2,389,603 times
Reputation: 1233
Quote:
It has plenty or real people, real dives and real nooks and crannies.
....and plenty of the other stuff he wants to avoid.

Look I am not trying to take sides or promote the whole us vs. them thing, but just want people to acknowledge that there is a certain yuppiness to West LA. It's there, and it's OK.

I am talking about This is 40, Wunderlust, Celeste and Jesse Forever.....yuppie.

Paul F-ing Rudd. LOL.

this dancing around and denial that it's not there or it's a generalization is so hilarious.

Are some of you of this demographic? What gives? It's OK, nothing wrong with it.

My only guess is that this is so normal to some of you that you cannot think of it as an actual demographic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
9,085 posts, read 5,902,326 times
Reputation: 2933
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
....and plenty of the other stuff he wants to avoid.

Look I am not trying to take sides or promote the whole us vs. them thing, but just want people to acknowledge that there is a certain yuppiness to West LA. It's there, and it's OK.

I am talking about This is 40, Wunderlust, Celeste and Jesse Forever.....yuppie.

this dancing around and denial that it's not there or it's a generalization is so hilarious.

Are some of you of this demographic? What gives? It's OK, nothing wrong with it.
Dude what the hell movies are these?

I feel like I keep up relatively well with movies, and seriously don't think I have ever heard of these. Oh well.

Ok Looked them up, they are all mainstream movies. I guess I just don't look up at the billboards much

I don't see what is so terrible about the characters in those movies... basically your typical boring white people. Also, I feel like most Judd Apatow movies are set in the Valley, not the Westside (though usually in the West Valley )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Corona del Mar
298 posts, read 215,912 times
Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
....and plenty of the other stuff he wants to avoid.
But if he's never been....... how does know what he is avoiding?

I get it if someone has been someplace and didn't like it, but to never go seems rather narrow minded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Dude what the hell movies are these?

I feel like I keep up relatively well with movies, and seriously don't think I have ever heard of these. Oh well.
Hey, I thought they were all new westside restaurants I'd never heard of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:41 PM
 
184 posts, read 171,997 times
Reputation: 86
LOL...yeah I haven't heard of these movies either...so it makes me curious.

I agree if you haven't been to West L.A and spent a considerable amount of time there , then I don't really think you can say it's yuppie ,etc. Also West L.A it's really a specific area and people sometimes include a variety of areas into the definition of West L.A . Would you define working class Hispanics living in apartments in West L.A as "bougie Yuppies"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Corona del Mar
298 posts, read 215,912 times
Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
....Celeste and Jesse Forever.....
Seriously? A movie that grossed $297k and people are supposed to have heard of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:52 PM
 
2,720 posts, read 2,389,603 times
Reputation: 1233
A.) when I say West LA is bougie and yuppie, I am assuming most people understand that I am not talking about all of West LA. I mean why do I get questions about working class Hispanic familes and if they're yuppie? Isn't that a given?

B.) Yes I agree Chicano is being a little too narrow minded.

C.) I wasn't talking about the movie as if it was well known but the people in it and the demographic it's marketed toward.

I am trying to say that it's as much a demographic as the young urban ethnic minority or the heartland family or what not.

Again are we going to continue the denial? Seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
9,085 posts, read 5,902,326 times
Reputation: 2933
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
A.) when I say West LA is bougie and yuppie, I am assuming most people understand that I am not talking about all of West LA. I mean why do I get questions about working class Hispanic familes and if they're yuppie? Isn't that a given?

B.) Yes I agree Chicano is being a little too narrow minded.

C.) I wasn't talking about the movie as if it was well known but the people in it and the demographic it's marketed toward.

I am trying to say that it's as much a demographic as the young urban ethnic minority or the heartland family or what not.

Again are we going to continue the denial? Seriously?
Maybe it is because I live in a less 'yuppy' part of town (though I certainly have a few yuppy neighbors - takes all kinds) but it seems like LA has less of that demographic than Boston, the last place I lived in. I mean you wanna talk "boring yuppy-land". I temped a lot when I lived out there so I got first-hand view into their natural habitat of PR firms and Advertising agencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Corona del Mar
298 posts, read 215,912 times
Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
C.) I wasn't talking about the movie as if it was well known but the people in it and the demographic it's marketed toward.

I am trying to say that it's as much a demographic as the young urban ethnic minority or the heartland family or what not.

Again are we going to continue the denial? Seriously?
Ummm at $279k box office, it is not a demographic that anyone will be greenlighting many projects for in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:37 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top