U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 09:58 AM

126 posts, read 270,004 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My husband has found a job in the Los Angeles Area. He wil be able to telecommute so where we live is not so important in terms of commute time. We are concerned about neighborhoods in terms of schools, affordability and safety. He will be making 70k a year and I will not have job until we get settled. I am a Realtor in Nashville but don't plan on doing that in California. We do live in an urban neighborhood in Nashville so we are used to city living but we realize that it will be vastly different. We have visited Los Angeles and we do love it but know it may be different living there. Our son is 10 and has Asbergers ( very high functioning ) loves music, plays drums and guitar. We would like to stay under 2000 a month for rent for a 2 bedroom house if possible. I have read through other post and sorry for re-visiting this again on your thread..a little anxious I guess. many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 10:42 AM

4,032 posts, read 8,301,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp206 View Post
Hello All,

My husband has found a job in the Los Angeles Area. He wil be able to telecommute so where we live is not so important in terms of commute time. We are concerned about neighborhoods in terms of schools, affordability and safety. He will be making 70k a year and I will not have job until we get settled. I am a Realtor in Nashville but don't plan on doing that in California. We do live in an urban neighborhood in Nashville so we are used to city living but we realize that it will be vastly different. We have visited Los Angeles and we do love it but know it may be different living there. Our son is 10 and has Asbergers ( very high functioning ) loves music, plays drums and guitar. We would like to stay under 2000 a month for rent for a 2 bedroom house if possible. I have read through other post and sorry for re-visiting this again on your thread..a little anxious I guess. many thanks
This in a school district that has a program geared to an Asbergers student is not going to be easy to find.

However, if you are renting an apartment instead, you can basically pick where ever you want to live in LA/OC.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:47 AM

7,091 posts, read 18,421,358 times
good middle schools are hard to find in LA proper, maybe check out tarzana and woodland hills. are there any places in LA that your husband needs to be near to even if he will be/ telecommuting? an airport? downtown office? etc... if not, there are a ton of places to live and I'd put your child's needs over living somewhere urban. i would start looking in orange county, which is a bit cheaper than LA as well as cleaner and more family friendly. suburban parts of long beach or lakewood might be a better option if you need to be closer to an urban environment.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:20 AM

126 posts, read 270,004 times
Thank you so much for your responses..very much appreciated

Old 08-29-2012, 03:50 PM

1,279 posts, read 2,856,947 times
Default you can research schools on this site:

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Old 09-01-2012, 03:59 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,293,053 times
Also check out Pasadena, one of the best parts of LA. I don't know what the rental rates are. Best of luck.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:32 AM

1,573 posts, read 1,120,859 times
I would look at smaller school districts like Burbank, Pasadena, Torrance, Manhattan Beach, etc. where you have a chance of being heard vs LAUSD.

I'd also contact someone from the below organization and see if they have thoughts or an help.

L.A. Asperger Syndrome Parents' Support Group Home Page

Old 09-01-2012, 01:19 PM

14 posts, read 22,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp206 View Post
Hello All,

Not sure if you're looking for a public or private school, but here's a school that serves children with ASDs. The Help Group Specialized Schools: Helping Children with Autism, ADD, ADHD, Learning Disabilities and Disorders They have a few campuses, most of them in the San Fernando Valley.

As for where to stay, in most decent areas, $2k will most likely get you a condo/apartment. What any areas you're interested in? I would recommend signing up for westsiderentals.com. IMO, they are pretty good about maintaining an updated list. Whenever I list a rental with them, they always call me once a week to make sure it's still active. If I don't answer or call back, they remove the ad and I have to log back on to activate the listing again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or