Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 12:24 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,597,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastWilson View Post
I just ordered TV show taping tickets for both “2 Broke Girls” and “Mike & Molly” (both 30 minute sitcoms). Though the instructions call out to be at a certain location at the studio at least 90 minutes before the taping start time, however I was wondering on a typical 30 minute sitcom taping, once you get seated, how long does it normally last? I had heard that they tend to film 2 to 4 shows in one sitting, you are not allowed to go to the bathroom, then from the time that you are seated, be prepared to sit in audience for up to 4 hours. Yet this sounds a little too rigid.

Can someone, who has recently went to a sitcom TV show taping shed some light on how long do you have to sit in the audience, and what happens if you have to go to the bathroom? Thanks.
My wife and I used to go to filmings for That 70's Show. We attended near 50 filmings. At the CBS lot we got in line to park at 1pm, allowed to park at 3pm. We were admitted into the studio about 6.30, the filming started at 7 and lasted till after 10pm. We were lucky in that the cast would autograph after the show. We had a friend who gave us scripts to be signed.

They always allowed us to use the restrooms. This was allowed between scenes, they frequently reshot but a scene was usually only a few minutes at a time. The doors are locked during filming to reduce noise. The most you might have to wait is only a few minutes in your seat. A few minutes outside the studio doors till they let you back in.

The production company usually employs a comedian to keep the audience entertained during the show. They often have giveaways to keep your interest.

To make entry quick at the studios keep your pockets as clear of metal as possible, think US court metal detectors. I left my truck keys in the truck as I have keyless entry. Change in the cup holder. My drivers license only in my pocket with some paper money for the vending machines. No cameras or cell phones are allowed in the studio.

We usually brought a bag lunch in with us for the line. Many bring candy or sweets for during the filming.
There will be differences between studios and even shows.
I actually worked on Home Improvement for a few seasons and the Disney company ran that way different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 02:20 PM

155 posts, read 748,159 times
Thank you very much for the great and informative feedback Mercikaleb, TurcoLoco, Harhar, and Ferretkona.

I especially thank you TurcoLoco, and Ferretkona for providing such a thorough and detailed reply.

TurcoLoco, if you think of the crowd of people that were already on the sidewalk when you got there at 5:15 a.m., you should have been there during the last few shows that were filmed before Bob Barker left the show. I had to drive by that studio (on Fairfax and Beverly) a couple of mornings and there were so many people on the sidewalk, I thought that the sidewalk was going to crack and cave-in! LOL!!!

Ferretkona, I send you a special thank you for providing such great details as to what I might can expect. Me and my bladder now feel relieved. WHEW!!! I just hope everything will unfold smoothly for both shows I attend. In regards to you getting in line to park, is there an advantage to getting to the lot earlier before you allowed to park there? I don’t mind going there early and waiting in line to park, but I want to try to avoid getting a close parking spot AND then be one of the last one’s out of the parking lot at the end of the shoot , due to being blocked in until most of the people that parked after I did leave the parking lot. You know, kinda like what happens to when you go to a sporting event or concert . . . the close parking spot was great upon arrival, but turned into a nightmare when it came time to leave, due to all of the other people that parked further away being able to leave first and leaving all of those other people who got a chance to park close, one of the last to leave the lot.

Thanks so much Everybody.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:11 PM

We were turned away our first show. Having a ticket does not guarantee seating.
First into the parking lot can put you first in line. A handicap parking pass will also put the odds up.
We discovered being first in line usually put us front row in the studio. I say usually as the ushers seating you pick and choose where you sit. The ushers do not work for the studio, they are contracted out. We found front row nice as we were first on the rail for autographs.
The studios do not seat that many people in the audience, about 212 people. The seating is only 4 or 5 rows deep. I found different shows left at different hours.

When we seen That 70's we often had girlfriends and wives of the cast sitting next to us. Often we had actors sitting with us as well.
I have hundreds of autographed scripts from the show for sale. I sold a few before the show appeared on TV for $1000 each. Fans go crazy for that stuff.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
We were turned away our first show. Having a ticket does not guarantee seating.
First into the parking lot can put you first in line. A handicap parking pass will also put the odds up.
We discovered being first in line usually put us front row in the studio. I say usually as the ushers seating you pick and choose where you sit. The ushers do not work for the studio, they are contracted out. We found front row nice as we were first on the rail for autographs.
The studios do not seat that many people in the audience, about 212 people. The seating is only 4 or 5 rows deep. I found different shows left at different hours.

When we seen That 70's we often had girlfriends and wives of the cast sitting next to us. Often we had actors sitting with us as well.
I have hundreds of autographed scripts from the show for sale. I sold a few before the show appeared on TV for $1000 each. Fans go crazy for that stuff.
WOW!!! Thank you so very, very much Ferretkona! I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide me more details. This is AWESOME information! Based on what you have shared, I'll make sure that I get in line before the parking lot opens . . . as the possible perks of getting there early sound sooooo COOL!!! Thank you! Thank you!

Old 08-29-2012, 03:56 PM

13,580 posts, read 15,641,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercikaleb View Post
LOL I went to Jay Leno and some other show..just last year, it's not that long..but you wait in a long line, and have to pass through security and give them your cell phone etc..

But I think it's worth the fun experience.
Jay Leno I'd think is pretty much live to tape, with a few exceptions, so it's not really comparable to the filming of a sitcom timewise.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Jay Leno I'd think is pretty much live to tape, with a few exceptions, so it's not really comparable to the filming of a sitcom timewise.
My wife and I attended a Jimmy Kimmel taping once
Jimmy was taped/filmed 3 hours early so it was broadcast in the east coast on time. They broke for commercials as thou it was on tv.
I think Leno is taped much earlier in the day.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:36 PM

10,027 posts, read 9,496,687 times
Just don't make plans for afterwards, just in case they run long. Expect around three hours from seating to being let out. Where comfortable clothes, especially shoes. The shoes are important because many of the stages are not too close to the parking area. Also, sometimes the stages are cold even though it's hot outside.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:01 AM

Thank you very much for the extra feedback and help Exitus Acta Probat, Ferretkona, and VLWH. I appreciate it very much.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:39 PM

12 posts, read 151,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
My wife and I used to go to filmings for That 70's Show. We attended near 50 filmings. At the CBS lot we got in line to park at 1pm, allowed to park at 3pm. We were admitted into the studio about 6.30, the filming started at 7 and lasted till after 10pm. We were lucky in that the cast would autograph after the show. We had a friend who gave us scripts to be signed.

They always allowed us to use the restrooms. This was allowed between scenes, they frequently reshot but a scene was usually only a few minutes at a time. The doors are locked during filming to reduce noise. The most you might have to wait is only a few minutes in your seat. A few minutes outside the studio doors till they let you back in.

The production company usually employs a comedian to keep the audience entertained during the show. They often have giveaways to keep your interest.

To make entry quick at the studios keep your pockets as clear of metal as possible, think US court metal detectors. I left my truck keys in the truck as I have keyless entry. Change in the cup holder. My drivers license only in my pocket with some paper money for the vending machines. No cameras or cell phones are allowed in the studio.

We usually brought a bag lunch in with us for the line. Many bring candy or sweets for during the filming.
There will be differences between studios and even shows.
I actually worked on Home Improvement for a few seasons and the Disney company ran that way different.
Wow! They make it look so easy when you see those people out in the public giving away those free TV show tickets. Gee with the pre-seated stuff you have to do and endure and a possibility of being trapped in a studio for a very long time, it is a wonder that this experience does not scare people away in general or at least stop people from doing this for a second time. Lol! Yet I would try something like this at least once.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:18 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,228,713 times
I've been to a bunch of shows (The Man Show, The Soup, Jimmy Kimmel, Hollywood Squares, Craig Kilborn, and some more I can't remember)... the absolute (by FAR) longest was The Drew Carey Show. I don't remember how long, exactly, but I was really exhausted afterwards. Hours and hours. They gave us pizza & water at one point. Craig Fergeson (on the show) was the only one who really cared about the audience, and he was pretty hilarious during breaks.

The other shows weren't that long at all and were a lot more fun (especially The Soup... Joel McHale is hilarious, and he entertained us during breaks... asking questions & doing trivia). I think sitcoms just take longer. If you can go to a talk show, it's more fun. (and I don't even really LIKE talk shows!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles