Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 02:56 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times

Advertisements

Maybe, just maybe, UCLA will finally provide competition this year.

UCLA 36
Nebraska 30

Sincerely,
Long suffering UCLA season ticket holder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 11:56 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
The Trojans have a following up until they aren't doing well and all of the "fans" jump off of the bandwagon.
I have been following them for years and it has been a while since they haven't been getting it done.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:08 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,476 times
Quote:
The Trojans have a following up until they aren't doing well and all of the "fans" jump off of the bandwagon.
L.A. is a bandwagon town, thats why the Lakers dominate, are the Kings of the Sports scene in L.A., since L.A. is always spoiled by them, since Jerry Buss bought the Lakers in 1979, they have won 10 NBA Championships with 16 trips to the NBA Finals, have missed the playoffs, post-season only twice under his ownership

Old 09-13-2012, 07:59 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,020,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
USC football is all there is to say. AP places USC at the #1 spot for this season. Oh yea, Matt Barkley has plans to get that National Title for the Trojans capping off an interesting 4 years at SC.

I wouldn't mind an LA team, so don't get me wrong there, it is just that the Trojans have such a following here in the LA area. Even in Oxnard and Ventura we have a strong following of USC fans. (Yes we also have fans of the Bruins, even in the Oxnard Ventura area, which kind of enforces the point of why the NFL just has an uphill battle to gain a following for a local team.) Saying that, I did notice when the Cowboys were in town (Oxnard training camp) that the parking lot was full and many walked a few miles from other parts just to take part in the fun of training camp. Still, it is hard to compete with a team like USC.

I hope this spurs some fun banter with any of you UCLA fans. On a side note:

We had a Doctor that parked in a no parking zone yesterday, in a spot that is used by ambulance drivers so that they can safely back up. The Doctor is a UCLA Alum and had a UCLA sticker on his BMW along with a UCLA License plate frame. I left a note on his window because he parked in the no parking zone.

Here is what I put in the note:

"I hear that at USC in order to graduate you need to be able to read. I bet that a USC grad would be able to read a sign that says no parking."
I never followed college football much. I haven't even been to single game at the University of South Florida where I attend. It would seem to me college football to pro football is like comparing little league baseball to the big league.

But if I was a fan of college football, it would be USC. Just the name "Southern California" says it all. The campus is located near south central LA giving it major street credit. The play at an iconic stadium, the Colosseum where my favorite NFL team, the Raiders also played.

Can one become a USC fan across the country?

Old 09-14-2012, 01:48 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Yeesh, not everybody down there drool over the University of Spoiled Children.

Go Bruins.

There quite likely will be an NFL team downtown at Farmers' Field, and possibly one out in the City of Industry.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:26 AM
NG3

22 posts, read 42,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Yeesh, not everybody down there drool over the University of Spoiled Children.

Go Bruins.

There quite likely will be an NFL team downtown at Farmers' Field, and possibly one out in the City of Industry.
It was cheaper for me to go to USC than UCLA and im a California resident.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:52 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I have been following them for years and it has been a while since they haven't been getting it done.
I don't disagree with that statement. The last time that USC wasn't any good was back in 2000. However, the volume of USC gear that I saw went up considerably during the Leinert/Bush years.

I would also be interested to see the Coliseum if USC went through a few bad seasons.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:10 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,476 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with that statement. The last time that USC wasn't any good was back in 2000. However, the volume of USC gear that I saw went up considerably during the Leinert/Bush years.

I would also be interested to see the Coliseum if USC went through a few bad seasons.
yeah, the L.A. Media, L.A. was not going crazy, not getting excited for USC during the 1990's before Pete Carroll arrived

Old 09-16-2012, 02:42 PM
NG3

22 posts, read 42,596 times

Old 09-17-2012, 11:34 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
L.A. is a bandwagon town, thats why the Lakers dominate, are the Kings of the Sports scene in L.A., since L.A. is always spoiled by them, since Jerry Buss bought the Lakers in 1979, they have won 10 NBA Championships with 16 trips to the NBA Finals, have missed the playoffs, post-season only twice under his ownership
The Kings are the "kings of the sports scene in LA" - they won their league championship whereas the Fakers did not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles