U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 11:26 PM

2,262 posts, read 6,636,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkillb View Post
Part of Burbank is near the runway to the airport. So that may or may not matter to you. You might want look around Olive and San Fernando near the little shopping area and mall as a good place to find an apartment in Burbank.
I actually live right near the Burbank airport (like near Hollywood Way & Victory) and it's not bad at all for some reason. I rarely notice the planes at all.

I used to live near the Santa Monica airport (which had small private planes), and if you were watching TV & a plane went overhead, you had to pause the TV. Or stop having a conversation with someone. It was CRAZY loud. And I'm closer to the Burbank Airport than I was to the SM one... so I don't really get it.

Anyway, my point is, once in a while I'll notice an extra low (or big? I'm not sure) plane... but that's pretty rare.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 01:40 PM

4,152 posts, read 2,816,351 times
Glendale is rapidly changing and not for the better - many people are concerned that parts of Glendale that were considered solidly middle class are deteriorating with a lot of riff raff moving in. A number of buildings have gone Section 8 and have attracted the wrong element to the city. Many people are moving away or moving farther north towards the hills. Glendale is still a nice place to live, but just be aware of a few alarming changes that might affect where you choose to live within the city.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:45 PM

16,376 posts, read 17,333,468 times
Yep, North Glendale (91208), La Crescenta and Montrose are excellent areas. All towards the hills. General rule, closer to the hills in this area, the better the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Glendale is rapidly changing and not for the better - many people are concerned that parts of Glendale that were considered solidly middle class are deteriorating with a lot of riff raff moving in. A number of buildings have gone Section 8 and have attracted the wrong element to the city. Many people are moving away or moving farther north towards the hills. Glendale is still a nice place to live, but just be aware of a few alarming changes that might affect where you choose to live within the city.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:02 PM

10,695 posts, read 4,793,242 times
Glendale is getting some new development. New Apartments popped up in Colorado. And a new one is planned at the corner of los feliz an san fernando.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:17 PM

223 posts, read 463,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
With the amount of brothels being caught, major drug dealing going on, etc. I am not surprised why people think the city is going downhill fast. I grew up in the city and am 33 now. Most friends I know are fed up and leaving slowly but surely to surrounding areas. The addition of the worse than 3rd world country type driving and pedestrian safety is another can of worms that is starting to become very well known.

Helicopters flying over the city every night late into the night, is starting to become a real nuisance. This still seems like a better area than the more expensive trendy NELA (North East LA) areas where non gang members are now being murdered. The recent one at the gold line station makes me realize if you are moving somewhere in LA read the local news on that area to get a feeling for it. crimemapping.com is also a useful tool.

Regarding the Burbank airport, we were looking at houses in the flight path and its extremely loud and vibrates the house on plane takeoffs. Maybe because I work from home and my GF has a night shift this would be more bothersome than someone doing a regular hour office job. But my Realtor also couldn't say with a straight face that the airplanes aren't a noticeable loud noise. These houses you could see underneath the plane, so maybe being a few blocks from the flight path makes the difference.

I might have a more skewed view on these things since I do work from home at all hours of the day/night, I like to walk or run around the neighborhood at all hours of the day/night, and try to stay current on local news for surrounding areas.

I think Pasadena near Old Town makes a lot of sense if you want to take the Metro to work and want to live somewhere that is nice where you could find every store or market you need.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:21 PM

10,695 posts, read 4,793,242 times
Quote:
With the amount of brothels being caught, major drug dealing going on, etc. I am not surprised why people think the city is going downhill fast. I grew up in the city and am 33 now. Most friends I know are fed up and leaving slowly but surely to surrounding areas. The addition of the worse than 3rd world country type driving and pedestrian safety is another can of worms that is starting to become very well known.
IDK, I thought Glendale was getting better. Look at the Americana. Infact they tried to block my neighborhood(North Atwater, Chevy Chase Park) by closing the tracks. They closed one on Alger but after that the neighborhood stood against them closing the one in Chevy Chase. A few years back the neighborhood was raided and the gang members havve been laying low. Only heard 1 or 2 gunshots in the past year and a half. Infact I walk home sometimes. Being a shorthaired latino around his 20's, that would have been a bad idea about 5 years ago.

Quote:
Helicopters flying over the city every night late into the night, is starting to become a real nuisance.
It's kind of been an L.A. thing since the birth of the helicopter.
AKA the ghetto bird.

Quote:
This still seems like a better area than the more expensive trendy NELA (North East LA) areas where non gang members are now being murdered. The recent one at the gold line station makes me realize if you are moving somewhere in LA read the local news on that area to get a feeling for it. crimemapping.com is also a useful tool.
I checked it out. The last murder that happened in Atwater was when someone from a rival gang drove through Perlita, and someone came his car and shot him in the head and his car coasted into a parked vehicle. My cousin knew the guy.

Since then, it's been really quiet. Nothing happening.

Quote:
I might have a more skewed view on these things since I do work from home at all hours of the day/night, I like to walk or run around the neighborhood at all hours of the day/night, and try to stay current on local news for surrounding areas.

I think Pasadena near Old Town makes a lot of sense if you want to take the Metro to work and want to live somewhere that is nice where you could find every store or market you need.[/quote]

Pasadena is nice.

Overall Glendale needs to be connected to the subway and/or light rail system. There is no reason why it shouldn't be. Seriously.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:04 PM

341 posts, read 610,068 times
All would be good spots if you are working in Glendale. You mentioned Los Feliz. This is a good area that has a lot to offer and is much more vintage LA. Burbank is a little warmer than glendale or pas as you are getting the San Fernando valley. It's got a little more of the Hollywood vibe bc Disney is located there. Glendale has grown tremendously compared to how I remember it. There are now nice walkable areas there. Back in the day you needed to be aware of the Armenian gangs as it has the highest concentration of Armenians in the US. I would prefer Pasadena of all three but again choose Los Feliz for a more real La with substance. Oh, one thing to remember too about Glendale is the police are pickier and seem to make more frequent pull overs.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:16 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,377,735 times
Pasadena is the best out of the three.

Pasadena is a calm, quaint city surrounded by really safe areas (La Canada Flintridge, Arcadia, Sierra Madre, South Pasadena).

It has good public transportation (MTA, Foothill Transit, Metro Light Rail) and decent nightlife, food, and shopping.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:50 AM

469 posts, read 813,892 times
Burbank is fantastic. Plenty to do and low crime. Property crime is higher by the schools, seems to be alot of riff raff by Jordan and areas on Keystone by Burroughs can be a downer but overall its a great city.

I used to hear alot of gun fire out by Olive park, choppers and gang bangers were all over the park. Security seems better now and all I really hear is the Choppers.

Last edited by Mojave82; 09-29-2012 at 08:58 AM..

Old 09-29-2012, 01:19 PM

9,722 posts, read 13,879,716 times
All of these areas you are thinking of are a really nasty commute to Torrance -- and I don't believe you can take Metrolink to Torrance so you would have to drive.

I'd think twice about this. If you are working in Torrance, you should look at Long Beach instead.

http://www.sigalert.com/Map.asp?regi...-118.22335&z=2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles