U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 09:12 PM

6 posts, read 9,174 times

Advertisements

Moving from east coast to LA in about a month and I'm looking into advice for areas to live in.

I've read a lot of the other articles similar to this but since every situation is different I figured I would post my own criteria and see what you all recommend. (commute is not an issue - work from home)

I'm hoping to keep my budget $1400 and under for a studio/1 bedroom apartment. I'm a young recent graduate so I would like some nightlife and an area where I could meet new people (won't be going to bars by myself, however) but don't necessarily need all the hip upscale clubs, just anywhere with a general decent nightlife/bar scene or at least relatively close & drivable. Also would like maybe some trendy restaurants/coffee shops in the area.

Safety is also an issue. I've lived in NYC so I know big cities and how to stay safe but I definitely want to feel safe where I live if I come home late at night and stuff so that's a top criteria. I'm hoping for a complex with a decent amount of rentals inside (don't want a building where just 3 or 4 people live). Maybe some young people that live in the complex but that's not a big deal.

What I'm thinking so far is: Burbank, Sherman Oaks, Studio City, Santa Monica, WeHo, or Pasadena.

I'm leaning towards Studio City - it seems to be a good combination between the families of Burbank and the huge bustling nightlife of WeHo. What do you suggest of the areas listed? I seem to get a lot more bang for my buck outside of WeHo from what I can tell (found places for 1250 w/ pool, fireplace, balcony, etc in the valley).

Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 09:51 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,745,147 times
WeHo is expensive. So is Santa Monica.

You're right that Studio City is just like Burbank with some more excitement and nightlife (but not anywhere near that of WeHo).

I think Studio City would fit your needs.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:19 PM

12,733 posts, read 15,165,993 times
Pasadena is also generally a pretty good area and pretty quaint in many parts. The nightlife would be in Old Town Pasadena

Old 09-18-2012, 03:39 PM

6 posts, read 9,174 times
Thanks I'm going to take out WeHo and Santa Monica due to expense. I'm definitely leaning more towards Studio City but I'll check out Pasadena too. What would you all do if you were young and new to the city?

Are there a lot of outlets to meet people? When I moved to New York I joined a sports league that held happy hours (zogsports) is there something like that in LA? Are there any ways you've used that have worked when meeting new people there?

Old 09-18-2012, 04:20 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,745,147 times
If it was a choice between STudio City and Pasadena, defninitely Studio City. Pasadena is a nice area with a fair share of restaurants, shops and minor nightlife around Old Town, but it's a little bit isolated and very family oriented. Not a good plus for a young social single. You are pretty close to the very vibrant downtown LA scene, but otherwise surrounded by suburbia.

Studio City itself has a fair share of nightlife and excitement running along Ventura Blvd that extends westward to Sherman Oaks. NoHo and Burbank have a few things going on too. The big asset to living in Studio City is that Hollywood and West Hollywood are just over the hill. You're also closer to Beverly Hills, West LA, and Santa Monica - Pasadena is the other direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or