Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 11:37 PM

822 posts, read 1,284,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
They have a Wal Mart on Crenshaw Blvd and one in Chinatown.
I was refuting the other persons post. Not sure what your point is. My point is the real estate in Baldwin Hills and Chinatown is much more valuable than in other parts of El A where a Wal-Mart might be located. I mean these two are urban sure but they are in El A proper centrally located with good demographics and the real estate is in demand. If you go to some suburb where the other Wal-Marts are locared sure its suburban but less dense sort of a white trash area and there wont be much traffic nor any high rises or other demand for property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 11:39 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Just pointing it out to help people out, they have some wal marts in LA

Old 12-12-2014, 05:08 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
They have Wal Marts in LA not a lot but they have a few, they have many Targets. I don't get the point of this post. Wal Mart and Target are cheap places to get clothes and food, who cares. My parents are upper middle to nearly rich my dad is a doctor and he shops at Wal Mart for food.
My point as well: though I do not shop at WalMart for food very often, I know a lot of people who do, people in our community and many are, like your dad, upper middle class. I have a feeling most who do not like Walmart and probably Target as well are what some of us might call snobs. Of course there are those who don't shop at WalMart because they have heard about the poor treatment emplyees get and the poor pay, neither is really true, considering the people who are able to get hired. Too many people pay too much attention to what they read, especially on blogs.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:17 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Kmart merged with Sears and stores with both names are still out there.
It's not looking too good for them, though. Sears loss widens as sales remain soft - LA Times

Old 12-12-2014, 08:48 AM

822 posts, read 1,284,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My point as well: though I do not shop at WalMart for food very often, I know a lot of people who do, people in our community and many are, like your dad, upper middle class. I have a feeling most who do not like Walmart and probably Target as well are what some of us might call snobs. Of course there are those who don't shop at WalMart because they have heard about the poor treatment emplyees get and the poor pay, neither is really true, considering the people who are able to get hired. Too many people pay too much attention to what they read, especially on blogs.
I don't find a problem with either store nor their employees. Especially the people working there don't get paid enough to take BS from customers who can be jerks. The problem with the stores is their prices relative to Costco or Amazon. There's no compelling reason to pay more for less and its as simple as that.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It's not looking too good for them, though. Sears loss widens as sales remain soft - LA Times
to be very honest, when I see the large old chains, like Sears and Penny's which have been around as long as I have and that is a hell of a long time, I see the printing on the wall. This is true with a lot of national grocery chains as well and certainly the big inclosed malls we grew up with: Our way of shopping is changing. The malls will soon be a thing of the past. I predict we will have the discount stores, WalMart, Target etc for years as well as the big box stores like Costco and Sam's, but the much of our shopping will be concintrated on the internet and the special stores like Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and the like. I have even noticed, around here, more people are using our local butcher shops than buying meat in the super markets. I don't mean the majority are using the butcher shops, just more than a few years ago. You will also see more small strip shopping centers, with small stores like Kohl's, maybe discount clothing stores, etc.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:50 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OFGS, who ever said anything about people buying theri clothes there? I think many who use WalMart and are middle class or above like it for things like: electronics, sporting goods, non parishable food items, gardening supplies, etc. As I have said I know of areas that are anything but poor with WalMarts. We are not talking about areas around Chinatown or Central Los Angeles necessarily.
Look, I understand you love Walmart. In Arkansas I'm sure they're very popular. Maybe you even have some family that works there. However, this is the LA forum and the question was why are there not very many in LA.

Again, in my post I said it's not only poor people that shop there, and that they are in middle class neighborhoods as well. As I said in my post, there are a lot of wealthy people who don't care about style or quality. I've lived all over the country. On the coasts style and quality is something that is more important to people. I'm not saying that that is a good thing. I'm sure some of my neighbors are struggling to pay for their Mercedes or BMWs when a Chrysler or Chevy would have met their needs. But for this same reason, many of my neighbors would never shop at a Walmart but might go to a Target.

Also, I didn't just say clothes in my post, I implied style or quality for any product. For electronics, Walmart tends to have low quality and slightly outdated TVs. For home-wears, furniture, lamps etc, again- their style is out of date or just never in style. For home-wears, Target is a little more in style. People that care about style but still want something cheap will shop at Target. As for non-perishables, most of the people I know will shop at Costco. Many of the things people would buy at Walmart they buy higher end versions of at Costco instead. Sam's, being owned by Walmart, has the same reputation for having low-quality merchandise.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Look, I understand you love Walmart. In Arkansas I'm sure they're very popular. Maybe you even have some family that works there. However, this is the LA forum and the question was why are there not very many in LA.

Again, in my post I said it's not only poor people that shop there, and that they are in middle class neighborhoods as well. As I said in my post, there are a lot of wealthy people who don't care about style or quality. I've lived all over the country. On the coasts style and quality is something that is more important to people. I'm not saying that that is a good thing. I'm sure some of my neighbors are struggling to pay for their Mercedes or BMWs when a Chrysler or Chevy would have met their needs. But for this same reason, many of my neighbors would never shop at a Walmart but might go to a Target.

Also, I didn't just say clothes in my post, I implied style or quality for any product. For electronics, Walmart tends to have low quality and slightly outdated TVs. For home-wears, furniture, lamps etc, again- their style is out of date or just never in style. For home-wears, Target is a little more in style. People that care about style but still want something cheap will shop at Target. As for non-perishables, most of the people I know will shop at Costco. Many of the things people would buy at Walmart they buy higher end versions of at Costco instead. Sam's, being owned by Walmart, has the same reputation for having low-quality merchandise.
let me assure you I have no family members working for WalMart, I do know a few people who do, but that has nothing to do with my feelings about WalMart. As for Sam's, are you going to say the Griddler available at Sam's is different from what is available on Amazon or the Weber grill at WalMart or Sam's is different from the one at Lowe's? If you are, I think you need to do a little more research cause you are 100% wrong. I have no problem with Costco. When we lived in Texas and NM we belonged to both Costco and Sam's. I actually like Costco for appearance a little better than Sam's. I don't think the stores are as cwoded looking. For value it depends, one is better for some things, the other for something else. I don't think most of us here buy furniture at WalMart. You are talking off the top of your head and making very little sense. BTw, you talk about about living all over the country, so what. It might surprise you to know there are a lot of us who have lived all over the country, me included.

You might also want to think twice about comparing a Chevy to a Crrysler. I think that alone shows how little you know about products. You can continue to shop at Target, I think they are a great store for what the offer, but WalMart has a place as well and yes, people who shop for value do shop at WalMart from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles