Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 09:23 PM

14 posts, read 47,073 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how much should be put aside for a total makeover for a SFH of about 1600sqft?

If anyone have any ideas?
what would be price range for simple renovation to luxury renovation?
(everything inside has to be redone, kitchen, floors, bathrooms, wall paints)...

Also how much does usually cost a nice pool with installation?

Last questions, estimation of time for makeover?

Thank you for those who can provide help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 09:38 PM

203 posts, read 577,118 times
Anywhere from $15,000 to $80,000. Depends what you're doing to it.

Since moving into mine last year, I think I've spent around $16,000 on everything. New roof, cement in the driveway, painting it all, changing the plumbing, putting up shutters and removing blinds, refinishing the wood floors, and other things I've purposely forgotten about. The inside was almost perfect already, so all the work was really external.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:41 PM

Thank you R Tistic, I would probably change everything, since the house hasn't be touched for 40+ years, it will include mainly the inside, new kitchen, new bathrooms (2), new wide open windows, new paints and new floors. (hard wood)

Old 09-20-2012, 05:35 AM

151 posts, read 299,322 times
I will address your new pool costs.

I built one two to three years ago in Studio City. You will get bids from high $95-$100k to low around $40k. I settled on California Pools and I believe I paid $50 to $60k. for a nice rectangular pool with a built in spa. The design was contemporary, one side of the pool is for laps. I'm guessing it was 20 by 25 or 30 feet with decent equipment. I poured the concrete myself. I sub contracted it out competitively. I think I may have sub contracted out the drainage, too. However the pool designer designed it in the plans

Old 09-20-2012, 09:01 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG1032 View Post
Thank you R Tistic, I would probably change everything, since the house hasn't be touched for 40+ years, it will include mainly the inside, new kitchen, new bathrooms (2), new wide open windows, new paints and new floors. (hard wood)
$75-100K will be the quote. It will depend on what materials you are willing to use. I know of people who insist on $10-15K oven/burners, very expensive tile and surface items, and $10K refrigerators.

You may or may not be able to negotiate lower.

Flippers with repeat business can generally get a contractor to do an "Ikea" flip for $30-40K on a house that size.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
$75-100K will be the quote. It will depend on what materials you are willing to use. I know of people who insist on $10-15K oven/burners, very expensive tile and surface items, and $10K refrigerators.

You may or may not be able to negotiate lower.

Flippers with repeat business can generally get a contractor to do an "Ikea" flip for $30-40K on a house that size.
thank you for your insight!
high end appliances + high end renovation could land me to 150k, right?

Old 09-20-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oomph View Post
I will address your new pool costs.

I built one two to three years ago in Studio City. You will get bids from high $95-$100k to low around $40k. I settled on California Pools and I believe I paid $50 to $60k. for a nice rectangular pool with a built in spa. The design was contemporary, one side of the pool is for laps. I'm guessing it was 20 by 25 or 30 feet with decent equipment. I poured the concrete myself. I sub contracted it out competitively. I think I may have sub contracted out the drainage, too. However the pool designer designed it in the plans
thank you, I also like contemporary, do you have a picture of your pool?

Old 09-20-2012, 03:19 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG1032 View Post
thank you for your insight!
high end appliances + high end renovation could land me to 150k, right?
Easily.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:48 AM

151 posts, read 299,322 times
I dont have one readily available, sorry.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:30 AM

545 posts, read 513,687 times
Appliances are what add up. Cabinets can get pricey too. The basic construction itself is not much. If you know something about construction you can save maybe 50% because then you can contract it yourself. Contractors have a ton of expenses, workman's comp, etc etc they have to pay for and fold it into the price. So you get prices from them that are pretty nuts sometimes. Also go to Home Depot and add up the costs of materials. It is not very complicated, so do not be intimidated by it. Another thing, which is something I do and which contractors do not like, but you go ahead and buy the materals and you pay them just for their time and labor. This way, there is no mark up, you can pay them what they are actually worth, etc. Except for a finish carpenter, no one is worth more than so much per tile, so much per hour, etc. And make them give you a fixed fee for the job, no "by the hour b.s." Say here is what I need, how much you want, and then that's it. A lot of these guys have a "paid by the hour" mindset, but I look at jobs as a lump sum total cost, and if they cannot price a job as a lump sum and factor in a decent profit for themselves, they are not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: