U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:12 PM

137 posts, read 166,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
If you have already made up your mind, why did you make a thread?

FIRST of all, you were not cited for leaving you vehicle parked for longer than 72 hours.

Here is 80.69(c).

You were, in fact, cited for violating a posted time limit sign. Did that happen in reality? No clue, but good luck.
Wow! So I was wrongfully cited! Unless they posted temporary no parking signs, but there must be some kind of advance warning for this and I never saw any signs.

Maybe you can help me decipher the comments on the bottom of the tickets.

1st ticket comments:

NPV REARTIRE CHLKD 1150AM NA UA
SP REAR 20FT SAME BLOCK

2nd ticket comments:

NPV FRNT RGT TIRE BLU CHK 1230P
SP REAR20FT NA UA

My tires were marked with chalk and I understand that part, but not the rest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 04:30 PM

3,162 posts, read 4,338,107 times
NPV = no pass visible. Possibly this was an area where residents are exempt from parking time limits.
NA = Not Available (typically)
UA = Unattended.

SP normally means "special permit". Not sure what he meant there.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:42 PM

38 posts, read 35,173 times
Wow. I have to say I totally agree AND disagree with HarryKerry about some of his points. I totally AGREE with his idea of video taping officers doing something in violation of their own standards, practices and principals. This is excellent advice. I totally DISAGREE with his statement:

"It is pointless, unintelligent, a waste of time, and ineffective to bother even thinking about contesting this ticket."

Contesting your ticket (or any ticket), if this is what you choose and can do, is still your right. Other than for obvious reasons to maintain general order, citations, in general, are ways local governments have established to not just generate revenue for the city, but to sub-consciously subjugate you as a citizen into blind submission. By not actively contesting rules and regulation penalties that are deemed to be given out unfairly, then we acquiesce, via our silence, to more and more subjugation of our freedom and liberties. Yes, it's "just" a parking ticket, but it's the overall scope of the matter that applies. Sure, it's going to take some time to argue your position unfortunately, but if you earnestly believe that you're not at fault, and can back this up with solid, proper evidence, then it's up to you to stand up and right a wrong. What if the parking person actually does have it wrong that he/she is not suppose to be ticketing where they are? How many people are then allowing themselves to be duped out of their hard earned money by mindlessly paying the ticket because they're too lazy to argue their own innocence? Perhaps the judge would actually thank you for bringing this to his/her attention if you indeed are in the right? But boy, saying it's "pointless, unintelligent, a waste of time and ineffective" to stand up for your rights to correct a perceived injustice is imho, a sad and perfect example of becoming one of the "sheeple".

Old 09-27-2012, 05:46 PM

5,128 posts, read 5,873,994 times
Always fight the traffic tickets, at least plea "No contest" Why? Because you are guilty unless you prove yourself not guilty. Since the cops/system have the upper hand, they tend to BS (or dare I say lie?) on the violation part, especially when you are not present. They are hoping/expecting you to bend over and pay the ticket.
Parking and traffic tickets are a great revenue generator for the cities/states because most people simply do not fight thinking "I have no chance of winning", well if you do not fight, you have exactly ZERO chance of winning.

I fought not one but two parking tickets and won! One was for street cleaning and the other was for parking in the back alley. The trick is knowing what to say and/or conveying the "factual" evidence to back your story up. Anything based on your feelings or opinions will not fly. If you are certain where you parked didn't have a 2-hour parking limit then you need to prove this using proper terms and data.

Sadly, no one seems to be compassionate enough to give anyone the benefit of the doubt if they got a ticket or arrested. They assume you were simply guilty there fore you deserve to pay for it.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:00 AM

54 posts, read 100,858 times
I successfully contested a parking ticket about 15 years ago when I was living in Palms. I don't know if the procedure has changed since then, but here's an overview of what happened:

I was legally parked on the street near my apartment. I got a ticket saying I was parked illegally due to street sweeping, but the street sweeping restriction that day was on the street around the corner from where I was parked. I called the city and explained the situation (I can't remember if I also had to submit something in writing or not). They said they would send someone out to verify my allegation. Their response was that there was a posted sign about street sweeping (they did not bother to read that the sign did not apply at the time I was parked there). So I had to take further action by submitting pictures and an explanation in writing.

I took a series of pictures to show the continuity of street signs, street sweeping signs, and landmarks to prove that the address on the ticket corresponded to a sign that did NOT make parking illegal at the time I was ticketed. I mounted the pictures on paper (this was before digital photography) and under each picture I typed an explanation of the significance of the picture. I was able to mail everything in and did not have to appear in person. What I spent on film and processing, plus the cost of my time, probably made this a breakeven proposition in terms of money, but (like you) I was concerned with the principle.

And yes, they dismissed the ticket!!

Last edited by KKVegas; 09-28-2012 at 10:10 AM..

Old 09-30-2012, 07:21 AM

480 posts, read 310,612 times
My point is that, often, fighting these types of tickets, where the OP's case is pretty weak, is like standing in the middle of the freeway with your hand outstretched expecting to stop traffic. If one has a strong case and evidence, then go for it.

Further, fighting a ticket with a weak argument to make is NOT going to change nor even remotely affect things/the system as they are because in those cases the judge won't believe you and just rule in the governments favor.

So, how can one have the best chance of changing things so that they nor anyone else will be given a "bogus" ticket, if one believes they have gotten such and ticket and are fired up to fight. Fight the bigger problem from the outside and you can win. And even if one wins one's challenge of their ticket, it changes NOTHING. Rest assured you will get more of such tickets unless you do as I cited in my earlier post.

How about the guy who didn't just fight his red light camera ticket, but he gathered evidence that some of the red light camera systems were flawed, incorrect, or had serious concerns and culled his own evidence to support his argument that red light cameras may CAUSE accidents rather than prevent them. Whether you agree his conclusion in one thing, but one has to admire his methods: intelligence, research, argumentation, civism, and with that INFLUENCE on the subject. Fighting his one ticket--and winning--would not have changed a single thing.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:21 PM

1,279 posts, read 740,181 times
I once contested and beat a parking ticket in West Hollywood (the Nazi Germany of parking enforcement, IMO). There was no parking after 9 am. I went down to my car at 8:45 and had a ticket. I did it all by mail - and I had to pay the ticket up front. I had to write two letters I think. It took a while, but they refunded my money. Fight it. I'd think the wrong location alone might be cause for it to be dismissed.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:47 PM

2,403 posts, read 3,493,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Always fight the traffic tickets, at least plea "No contest" Why? Because you are guilty unless you prove yourself not guilty. Since the cops/system have the upper hand, they tend to BS (or dare I say lie?) on the violation part, especially when you are not present. They are hoping/expecting you to bend over and pay the ticket.
Parking and traffic tickets are a great revenue generator for the cities/states because most people simply do not fight thinking "I have no chance of winning", well if you do not fight, you have exactly ZERO chance of winning.

I fought not one but two parking tickets and won! One was for street cleaning and the other was for parking in the back alley. The trick is knowing what to say and/or conveying the "factual" evidence to back your story up. Anything based on your feelings or opinions will not fly. If you are certain where you parked didn't have a 2-hour parking limit then you need to prove this using proper terms and data.

Sadly, no one seems to be compassionate enough to give anyone the benefit of the doubt if they got a ticket or arrested. They assume you were simply guilty there fore you deserve to pay for it.
First let me say that if you plead "NO CONTEST" you are actually pleading guilty! Now look at the Ticket , Is it a Notice to Appear? Does it state that it is an infraction of the MC codes? , well guess what ? California Penal code (c.p.c. 740) states that all Infractions and Misdameaner actions must be prosecuted through a Verified Complaint .
So go to court , for your arreignment and do what the penal code 853.9 says and excersize your rights, " at your arreignment you can demand a verified complaint be filed . now the problem for the courts than is that they don't have that document look at the ticket , Is it signed by the officer ? does it have the required Notary stamp and signature on it ( cops never sign their name they "PRINT" it ). So whast I am saying is that they don't have a proper document to move forward with your case , therefore they must dismiss the action . Need more info then DM me This is not BS as some here state , it works , and yes you have to spend time fighting it , but nothing is free, even in a free country.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:47 PM

6,529 posts, read 14,187,038 times
Back in 1992 I fought a parking ticket, spent many hours in court. Lost.
I got a ticket for parking in front of a driveway at my address. I and my neighbors had no driveways, we had our garages facing a alley. I presented pictures of my home showing the lack of any driveways on the street to no avail.

Parking tickets happen. You are appealing to a judge employed by the city who issued you the ticket. Not a unbiased judge at all.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:53 PM

428 posts, read 349,730 times
Judges are not employed by a city. They are elected county officials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles