Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 09:37 PM

8,553 posts, read 10,978,234 times

Advertisements

I have done a little research on the state lottery, and I may, upon finishing my research, forward my concerns to the state legislature.
In the interim, I am also looking into the financial obligations of the state as to how,and what it funds to the cities for road repair.
Currently I don't have figures in front of me, but I soon hope too.
My contention is, the state legislature, with a two thirds vote, can re-distribute the money taken in by the California lottery.
Presently, roughly 87% of the money from the lottery goes to fund public education.
I feel that money could be better spent now in fixing the deplorable roads in our states cities.
I also feel this money from the lottery going to the cities for street repair should have a time limit on it,and then the monies should revert back to education.
The lottery commission has stated that aid to education for 2012/13 is projected at 1,36 billion dollars.
That figure is above and beyond what it pays out in winnings .
If just half of that amount were diverted to the cities for road repair, we would all be driving on decent roads in a very short span of time.
I would ask that the legislature suspend funding public education via the lottery for one year, and divert that money to roads, and after on year fund education partially until such time as the roads in our cities are completely re surfaced,or rebuilt.
This is a bold plan, and may not come to pass,but as I see it, the only viable solution to finally getting our city streets back to the condition they should be.
This business of a patch here, and a patch there is not the answer.
Major funding is, and the state lottery could be that funding source for road repair.
For the most part our freeway system is in good condition,so this funding proposal would only apply to city streets and roadways.
Most if not all major cities in California are financially depressed.
Road repair does not rank up there with other expenses, therefore our roads, and the vehicles using them suffer.
We as consumers suffer with added expense to repair our vehicles that are being torn apart by our outdated roads.
The solution points to major funding,and the cities just don't have that.
The lottery does,and the legislature needs to consider a temporary slow down in funding to education.
As high it is, the gas tax we all pay when we gas up, is not enough to offset the work needed on our local roadways.
As I said, this is a bold plan that should be looked at, and it could if the legislature fails to act, wind up on a future ballot as a proposition.
Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles