Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,440 times

Advertisements

hello forum buddies!

im intrigued to get some ideas and insights on LA! i am a student living in Canada and once im done with school, im ready to get up and gooooooooooooooooo! im in the hospitality industry ie hotels, restaurants, airlines, parks, etc. Anyone have tips on how i can make my transition? i know NO ONE in LA, but im willing to make the leap!

thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 06:24 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
Get to know people. For every job opening, there's dozens of friends & family members of employers that need jobs. Not only is every applicant up against that, but there's also a plethora of applicants with no connections that all have relevant work experience. Even with connections, getting a job is very difficult in LA. I'd suggest coming with some rent money saved up.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:04 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
sounds like another winner

Old 10-03-2012, 07:17 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
Are you a U.S. citizen? If not, visit this forum:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/legal-immigration/

Old 10-03-2012, 09:29 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,169,536 times
As other posters have mentioned, the L.A. job market is very competitive. It's not easy for experienced and qualified locals to find work, so I'd imagine it will be even tougher for fresh grads from out of town.

If you still have some time to go before you graduate, take some time to come up with a game plan. Get some experience in the field you wish to enter if you're not already doing so. Save up plenty of money to keep you afloat while job hunting. Do some research on the cost of rent in the areas you're looking to move to. If you're not familiar with LA, maybe take a trip out here to see it first--it might not live up to your expectations.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:31 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Check out Vancouver, lots of hotels there.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:45 AM

2,720 posts, read 5,624,283 times
Just what movies or tv shows are younger people watching that feature LA?

When I was growing up, all the movies about LA were scary. Either that or they showed that LA was a land of wealthy snobs next to dirt poor. To some extent that is still true. The only thing that's changed is tht LA isn't a crime ridden war zones anymore. But it's still a shockingly divided city with a huge income disparity among those who have and those who lack.

So I don't know if all they're doing is showing the glam rock side of LA or what these days but why anyone would want to move to LA during the worst recession since the great depression is beyond me!

I've noticed a lot of these people are from overseas (Canada, Scandanavia, Australia, Israel), so I don't what they think of LA based on their media.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:27 AM

15 posts, read 21,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hospitalitygal View Post
hello forum buddies!

im intrigued to get some ideas and insights on LA! i am a student living in Canada and once im done with school, im ready to get up and gooooooooooooooooo! im in the hospitality industry ie hotels, restaurants, airlines, parks, etc. Anyone have tips on how i can make my transition? i know NO ONE in LA, but im willing to make the leap!

thanks everyone
I just wanted to let you know that I have been in the travel industry for 22 years. I have worked at the major airlines in reservations, at the airport, travel agent doing(entertainment and corporate) jobs, and in Los Angeles in hospitality are not what they use to be. I can say that if you are looking to work for any MAJOR airline apply online first. You may have a better chance at Hotels(try hotels that are decent Ritz Carltons, four season, Hilton..etc) Try Marriott they always need people(in the past at least). This agency Travel Placement Service May be able to help(don't use Margie) (714) 769-8367.
You may want to look at other cities because there is a great chance you will be disappointed. I am set up where you can sent me messages in here so send me a private message and it will be my pleasure to give you as much information as possible, being that I have connections and I know the city.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 905 times
Or maybe peds should realize the reality of the situation is the motorist will win in an accident and stay out of the way. Like in Europe. I would like to see a ped walk out into traffic in England when not signaled to do so. Trust me it's the last thing they will do. This is my point. If I parked my car on the sidewalk or drive slowly down it the peds would be pissed because I'm disrespecting their designated area. So when peds are in my area they should respect it and scurry to get out of it.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:41 AM

170 posts, read 234,248 times
God Damn reality TV.

Ryan Seacrest and Andy Cohen, you are the death of American television!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: