Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 06:13 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times

Advertisements

Thought this fad wore out in 1984.

Most of the people you see wearing scrubs are medical, dental or veterinary professionals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 06:17 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Some of my friends work in Dr and dentist and vet offices and wear scrubs just to do the office work, they aren't nurses or anything. The offices want a "uniform" and cohesive look, it has nothing to do with a "sterile environment" and it's a PITA to change clothes until you are home for the night/day so when they are out to lunch or running errands on the way home that's what they will be wearing. Most importantly, would it bother anyone to see someone is scrubs? It's almost expected if you are near a big medical facility.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:46 PM

19 posts, read 30,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Well now you have an idea for an easy, convenient Halloween getup. Looks good with blood and surgical instruments, too.
That's what I meant, hahahhaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's almost expected if you are near a big medical facility.
Again, I totally understand the need of wearing them when working or on break and near any medical facility or medical center and surrounding.

I guess because we already got used to it.....until realization. I didn't realize until someone pointed out, too. You will see what I am talking about more, I think.

Last edited by lanhan; 10-05-2012 at 07:07 PM..

Old 10-05-2012, 06:50 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I notice doctors office workers wearing scrubs when their interaction with the patient is limited to answering the phone and handing you a clipboard. What's the point of that?
Comfort: It's like working in your pajamas. Frugality: The hospital washes your work clothes for you. Appearance: The professional look can be reassuring to patents.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:15 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Comfort: It's like working in your pajamas. Frugality: The hospital washes your work clothes for you. Appearance: The professional look can be reassuring to patents.

Yes, every job has its perks. This is one with the healthcare industry.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:52 PM

223 posts, read 523,516 times
My fiance is an RN and she is grossed out when she sees it most of the time. Though getting groceries or running errands makes sense to me as they sometimes have weird hours like she does. Her scrubs are always washed separately as she thinks they are pretty nasty and I always see her wiping her shoes and other things down with alcohol pads. My brother is a surgeon and I have still never seen him in his scrubs.

I think a lot of the people walking around are probably CNA and LVN students that think its cool. I remember being in school and thought it was cool to walk around with rolled up plans as I am an engineer. But now in the real world I toss that stuff in my trunk as its annoying. Maybe its like that?

Old 10-06-2012, 02:02 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkillb View Post
I remember being in school and thought it was cool to walk around with rolled up plans as I am an engineer. But now in the real world I toss that stuff in my trunk as its annoying. Maybe its like that?
Scrubs would be much more convenient and comfy than carrying rolled up plans around town.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:26 PM

223 posts, read 523,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Scrubs would be much more convenient and comfy than carrying rolled up plans around town.
Except scrubs are disgusting after being worked in. Pick a bodily fluid, its probably on there at some point during the shift.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:32 PM

353 posts, read 580,643 times
Maybe they are covering something?

Old 10-06-2012, 05:16 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Only time I ever see it is for students going to or from class at those for-profit technical schools for an RN program--they'll have "Everest Technical College" or whatever stitched on the front pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles