Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 08:31 PM

13 posts, read 12,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
The subway system is pretty good considering most people drive. However, note that it becomes difficult to ride after five at night. The good thing is that they start pretty early, they offer rides beginning at three in the morning or so.

I do have first hand experience on public transportation. The Metro Rail is usually on time. In order to help you plan a bus route you could use Google Maps (select the public transportation option). I would also have to know where you are going (from where to where).
Why is the subway system hard after 5?

Metro rail seems quite extensive! I was under the impression public transportation was non-existent (not really useful) But i just went to their website and there's alot to take in.

Unfortunately, since no jobs are lined up, we could really live anywhere. I suppose my biggest question is, would it be easier to find work in L.A. or try to stay local to specific neighborhoods/areas?

If L.A. has jobs then obviously finding a place close to it, with a good bus line/subway is the way to go. But at the same time, if jobs are hard to come by in downtown L.A. (in the city) Then i'd rather stick to whatever neighborhood I end up in for a job. (granted i know this would limit job options either way, but then gas is so high so maybe it is all about location these days)

Thanks again everyone for the replies! keep them coming.

I feel like living in studio city area or basically North hollywood would be best. but as I stated above, I do need to be where the jobs are. (I don't mind doing hourly wage jobs, so long as it literally pays the bills)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 09:47 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Since you don't know what kind of job you will get or where it's not something you can realistically plan for. The problem won't be finding a place to live, there are lot's of places, but I'd concentrate on finding a short term lease first so you don't get stuck if one of you runs out of money or has to relocate. Maybe check the sublet ads and don't worry so much about exactly where because you can always move again. Look at freeway access and public transportation, it's really all you can go on especially if you don't have a car. That will be very limiting.

Silverlake is fine and pretty central. Since you are two guys I wouldn't hesitate to recommend parts of Koreatown either. You HAVE to be here to see for yourelf though so plan on moteling it for a week, don't rent a place you haven't seen. Maybe you can get into a temp roommate situation where 2 rooms are available in a house and no lease is required.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:24 PM

Thanks Cece! Koreatown did look nice. I read about ups and downs of living there. I do plan to buy a car, i've been saving up for it. Just don't think i can afford one that would pass the emissions test california (which i read basically has to be nice "newer" car, with no sketchy work done do it)

Although while on subject of cars...and be honest people. How many of you Californians do abide by the smog emissions test, I feel like not everyone could afford...or care (though i could be gravely mistaken!) And for that matter...how often to people check on that sort of thing?

Old 10-08-2012, 10:29 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegegrad2012 View Post
Why is the subway system hard after 5?

Metro rail seems quite extensive! I was under the impression public transportation was non-existent (not really useful) But i just went to their website and there's alot to take in.

Unfortunately, since no jobs are lined up, we could really live anywhere. I suppose my biggest question is, would it be easier to find work in L.A. or try to stay local to specific neighborhoods/areas?

If L.A. has jobs then obviously finding a place close to it, with a good bus line/subway is the way to go. But at the same time, if jobs are hard to come by in downtown L.A. (in the city) Then i'd rather stick to whatever neighborhood I end up in for a job. (granted i know this would limit job options either way, but then gas is so high so maybe it is all about location these days)

Thanks again everyone for the replies! keep them coming.

I feel like living in studio city area or basically North hollywood would be best. but as I stated above, I do need to be where the jobs are. (I don't mind doing hourly wage jobs, so long as it literally pays the bills)
Probably because the program ran out of money to keep regular buses going after 5. You'd only have some once an hour in some places. Trains also start slowing at night, although not as bad. Still two or three arrive an hour, but I remember after 9:30 or so they only offer once an hour until 12.

If you need public transit, live in DTLA/KT. I know one guy from Georgia who did that and he scraped by enjoying not having to park anywhere.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:48 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Thanks Cece! Koreatown did look nice. I read about ups and downs of living there. I do plan to buy a car, i've been saving up for it. Just don't think i can afford one that would pass the emissions test california (which i read basically has to be nice "newer" car, with no sketchy work done do it)

Although while on subject of cars...and be honest people. How many of you Californians do abide by the smog emissions test, I feel like not everyone could afford...or care (though i could be gravely mistaken!) And for that matter...how often to people check on that sort of thing?
They usually do the test every two years when we register our cars. It's the law.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
They usually do the test every two years when we register our cars. It's the law.

Thanks Ceece! Least now i know for sure.

I think i may have a job at CBS studios! so if anyone knows safe and affordable areas to live nearby (where I wouldn't need a car to get to work OR Easily use subway/bus to get to work) Please list them!

Thanks again!

Old 10-11-2012, 10:25 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times
Quote:
Thanks Ceece! Least now i know for sure.

I think i may have a job at CBS studios! so if anyone knows safe and affordable areas to live nearby (where I wouldn't need a car to get to work OR Easily use subway/bus to get to work) Please list them!

Thanks again!
The only area I know of is Burbank, but depending on where exactly you live you may have to take two buses daily.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 PM

Burbank sounds good to me! lol

Old 10-11-2012, 11:09 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times
Quote:
How many of you Californians do abide by the smog emissions test, I feel like not everyone could afford...or care (though i could be gravely mistaken!) And for that matter...how often to people check on that sort of thing?
You can't renew your car's registration without passing the SMOG check... It's about once every 2-3 years, depending how old your car is.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:52 PM

79 posts, read 178,951 times
Silverlake is very cool and very hip. I'd recommend it over Burbank any day of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles