Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 02:27 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
LA's worst areas don't even look as bad as Northeast and Rustbelt ghettos today, much less 30 years ago. Google "Charlotte Street Bronx" and you'll quickly see how completely out of touch your statement is.
You have a point there with Northeastern and Rustbelt cities. LA's roughest parts don't compare to somewhere Camden or East St Louis. But compared to newer Sunbelt cities. A large part of LA looks quite rough and rundown looking like a Rust Belt city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 02:32 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,006,539 times
It's not that difficult to comprehend that people who come from sanitized suburbia in cities that are doing far better than us are usually going to find non-Westside LA kinda lacking. They're not even going to see the hipness of even Silverlake. They will see an older a bit run down city surrounded by beautiful natural landscape.

These folks even ignore the worse conditions of the ghettos in their own cities because they've never dared venture tegre and they tend to be much smaller than giant hoods in LA. Houston ghettos are worse but they make up such a small portion of the city that no one thinks of it as all of Houston.

LA is largely working class city.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:23 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
You have a point there with Northeastern and Rustbelt cities. LA's roughest parts don't compare to somewhere Camden or East St Louis. But compared to newer Sunbelt cities. A large part of LA looks quite rough and rundown looking like a Rust Belt city.
One reason for this is because Los Angeles exploded in growth along with or just after many of the Rust Belt cities.

Los Angeles does not look like any other Sun Belt city I've been in - and the reason for this is that it had millions of people by the end of the first quarter of the 20th Century, while the Sun Belt cities were just little spots on the map at that point. Los Angeles looks a lot more like Detroit or Oakland to me than it does a Houston or Phoenix.

Plus I would wager at any given moment there is more foot traffic at 6th and Alvarado than there is in the entire Phoenix metro combined.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:24 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
It's not that difficult to comprehend that people who come from sanitized suburbia in cities that are doing far better than us are usually going to find non-Westside LA kinda lacking. They're not even going to see the hipness of even Silverlake. They will see an older a bit run down city surrounded by beautiful natural landscape.

These folks even ignore the worse conditions of the ghettos in their own cities because they've never dared venture tegre and they tend to be much smaller than giant hoods in LA. Houston ghettos are worse but they make up such a small portion of the city that no one thinks of it as all of Houston.

LA is largely working class city.
The commercial districts of Silver Lake look rundown (particularly Sunset Blvd), but have you driven around in the hills? I don't see how you can say those areas look run down. Older, yes but most homes are very well-preserved and attractive.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:33 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,297,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
One reason for this is because Los Angeles exploded in growth along with or just after many of the Rust Belt cities.

Los Angeles does not look like any other Sun Belt city I've been in - and the reason for this is that it had millions of people by the end of the first quarter of the 20th Century, while the Sun Belt cities were just little spots on the map at that point. Los Angeles looks a lot more like Detroit or Oakland to me than it does a Houston or Phoenix.

Plus I would wager at any given moment there is more foot traffic at 6th and Alvarado than there is in the entire Phoenix metro combined.
Thats very true Downtown Phoenix doesn't touch the urbanity or vibrancy of Westlake.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:21 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,006,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
The commercial districts of Silver Lake look rundown (particularly Sunset Blvd), but have you driven around in the hills? I don't see how you can say those areas look run down. Older, yes but most homes are very well-preserved and attractive.
Trust me when I say that I don't think this way I'm just giving you the perspective of many typical suburban folk with a bias against cities. Old is not appealing. What's appealing to the new upper middle class tends to be glossy mixed use development centers a few miles always from master planned communities. McMansions, truck in the driveway, cookie cutter lawns and A+ public schools.

Also there are a lot of conservative younger ppl who don't even see the hip appeal of living in an older side of town unless its NYC and they're working for a big bank.

I mean this isn't that hard to comprehend. I didn't at first either because I thought that everyone was looking to be in world class city living the life. Turns out not everyone is. I can see it from their perspective, it's doesn't mean its for me but I can understand them.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:23 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,514,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
But you got to admit that large parts of LA look pretty tore up and run down like NYC was in the 80's. Especially from the perspective of someone coming from a more sterile suburban area.

This video captures large parts of LA thats not broadcasted in the media. Such as Westlake, Skid Row, And South of Washington. It looks very poor and grimy.
Well, sure, if you cherry pick the poorest areas.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:31 PM

30,351 posts, read 19,138,862 times
LA has probably gone from the most overrated city to probably underrated now. Has a lot going for it but it's expensive and the jobs don't pay enough to compensate for the expense.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:36 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,437,594 times
Look down upon, not by everyone. We love LA and your beautiful beaches and mountains.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:45 PM

420 posts, read 768,159 times
Because its a humongous, raging, POS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles