U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 03:31 AM

9 posts, read 7,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
You should consider living in Downtown, should be fairly doable on that budget. Downtown is very diverse, lots of Asians and lots of everything else. You could also look into Koreatown (not far from DT) or Little Tokyo (in DT).

Just west of the 110 freeway on Wilshire are the Medici apartments and they allow dogs as far as I know.

As far as living on the westside and commuting Downtown for work, this is what I do and I'm fine with it. Sure there are some days when sitting in traffic kind of sucks, but it actually motivates me to get up a little earlier to avoid it...and then in the evening the traffic motivates me to go to the gym after work in DT (or happy hour, which can be just as gratifying haha).

How would you compare living in West Hollywood to Downtown?

How long is the commute from weho to downtown?

I looked at Medici's website and it looks good, but the reviews of Medici on yelp weren't so great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 09:55 AM

3,777 posts, read 7,165,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA001 View Post

I looked at Medici's website and it looks good, but the reviews of Medici on yelp weren't so great.
Apartment reviews are rarely great. They are posted by the angry, the discontented, and the evicted.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:28 PM

4,028 posts, read 8,299,064 times
Downtown fits your criteria perfectly. Driving as you will be working long hours, is assume you would love to live within 10-15 minute walk of your residence and also dining and nightspots.

And it's LA. No one cares what race you are.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:29 PM

4,028 posts, read 8,299,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UA001 View Post
How would you compare living in West Hollywood to Downtown?

How long is the commute from weho to downtown?

Medici has tons of USC students so there's a noise factor involved.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Apartment reviews are rarely great. They are posted by the angry, the discontented, and the evicted.
I can see that. But that's really the only info I have to gauge how a place is, and I take it with a grain a salt. But if people think it's worth checking out I'll pay it a visit. The car vandalism is a bit concerning though.

I have a list of places to check out so far that got good reviews on yelp.

Elleven
The Haas Building
Pegasus
Santee Court
Market Lofts
Chapman Flats

Can anyone recommend any good rental places in Weho?

And lastly, I've asked this but no one has answered it yet. What is the scene like in Weho compared to downtown? How do the restaurants compare? How about the people? As a single guy who doesn't know anyone in LA, would I enjoy living in Weho better than downtown? And what would the commute time be like?

Old 10-30-2012, 06:49 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,166,080 times
The night life in WeHo is more established and caters to the upper-class, and gay crowds. It is where the Sunset Strip is located and it has world class night life and dining. If you can pay for it (and it seems like you can) it would be good for a single male who has deeper pockets. Its pretty walk-able and The commute time from WeHo to downtown would be a little bit of a problem depending on which streets to take into Downtown, but it isn't terrible. You could take the #2 bus into downtown if you dont want to drive everywhere if you are located around Sunset; No Rail access however.... WeHo is what tourist and transplants think of when they think of living an "LA life".

Downtown LA is a burgeoning area that is quite a contrast to WeHo. In my opinion, in 10 years, it will be the "best" area of Los Angeles. The number of bar, club, and food options grow by the month. Its the most walk-able part of LA and considering that you will be working downtown, you can just walk to work. The nightlife is more varied, as it doesn't just cater to people who want to spend a lot of money; although there are those places (like the Standard Hotel). Downtown has the best public transit and you will eventually be able to go all the way to Santa Monica when the expo line is finished in a couple years. Only thing is.... its not quite all the way there yet.

People are about the same...

So which one do you want? LA Glam or LA Grit?

Old 10-30-2012, 10:51 PM

670 posts, read 909,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post
What does this even mean? Are there areas specifically designed for single Asians? as opposed to single Caucasians?

I say this as one who has more than a few Asian friends (and Indian, as well), but he may be referring to the pressure many Asian parents put on their kids to marry within their own nationality (Korean to Korean; Vietnamese to Vietnamese). These are, of course, parents more rooted in the old ways of thinking from their home nation. Those parents REALLY don't want their kids marrying non-Asian. Essentially he is interested in meeting Asian females, but that may be because a male still retains the old role as "master" of his woman, but you have to find an Asian female who is willing to play her role. In fact, more than a few Asian female friends of mine have given up on Asian males for just that reason (and too short, they say), and start really fishing for men of the 21st century, often Anglo.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:43 AM

Jamills, that was a helpful post. Thanks! I'd appreciate it if I can get more comments about this.

Right now I work in a very trendy area. It was recommended that I live in another area close to where I work, but has parks and a multi-purpose building with everything. While it is comfortable living here, I think it was a mistake. Because the area is filled with families and couples. Very few single people similar to my situation. And the restaurants were pretty basic. So I spent most of my time commuting to other areas when I wanted to eat or hang out. And it was harder meeting people.

So I am trying to gauge whether living in weho is worth the burden to traveling into downtown for work. Obviously, living in downtown would be convenient to get to work, but outside of work will I spend more of my time traveling to weho to hangout? Will it be better for my social life to live in Weho given that I don't know anyone in LA? That's what I'm trying to figure out

And could someone recommend rentals to check out in weho? And what is the expected commute time to downtown?

Old 10-31-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post
What does this even mean? Are there areas specifically designed for single Asians? as opposed to single Caucasians?
The post on this was not mine, but I can understand what the poster is saying. I've traveled around quite a bit and can talk to and get along with pretty much anyone. But there are some places that are definitely more Asian friendly. Although a lot of Asians may have been born in America and grew up their entire lives in America, we still look differently and because of that are sometimes treated differently with whatever preconceived beliefs they may have. So some places are a bit more educated about this and a bit more "friendly".... and some places not so friendly. And some Asians may be less "Americanized" and may prefer to hangout with other Asians because of comfort and similar ways of thinking. And these concentrated areas obviously have more restaurants, grocery stores, and activities catering to this crowd.

But simply, he is probably asking where is the highest concentration of single Asian women.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:36 AM

810 posts, read 1,085,988 times
I've noticed Southeast Asian (Vietnamese, Thai, Filipino) women who grew up in America typically are more willing to date a non-Asian guy.

It seems like Chinese or Korean-Americans stay within their ethnicity more or will only date a guy with impressive academic pedigree. I haven't met many Japanese-Americans, but from what I hear, they are considered the most open-minded and also the most upper-class, where Chinese and Koreans are generally more conservative, but also seen as upper-class.

As for certain countries preferring you marry someone from your country...It is very similar with Hispanic people...oftentimes, it's not good to date what is considered a "rival country". Families always have trouble getting along then (especially over soccer or who invented what drink like Pisco), better to date someone from a completely different background, then it doesn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or