U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:29 AM

2,056 posts, read 1,766,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
Surprised no one has recommended working for the biggest employment company in California: Central Casting

Background work in movies/television. If you have a face, you can find work with them.
Great suggestion. I made about 5,000 off of it last year, and I live in Birmingham, AL. Hahaha. Now I had to drive to Atlanta a lot, and it gets expensive, but I am sure some of the LA folks could do much better right now. Extras rarely need any acting skill at all. Better paying roles are featured extras, and do require you to run some lines, occasionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 12:23 PM

32 posts, read 37,510 times
Ahh, "the crappy job"... lol, those kept me alive when I was out there, before I got the first real job. I have a possible answer.

I got all my LA jobs through word of mouth from either the employer or a friend of that employer, and they usually invented the job based on skills of mine they saw me exhibiting for free or out of friendship for them, nearby. Maybe it's tough for a lot of LA transplants because so few open up to form real friendships with people?

A lot of LA friendships can be shallow acquaintanceships. I know. I feel that. But here is what a whole lot of people outside LA do not know...

If you behave as a friend, and allow others to behave as your friends, and happen to exhibit a necessary skill around those friends, Los Angelenos are some of the best amateur part time headhunters I have ever seen. They talk each other into hiring you faster and better than any other city I've been in. As a former Angelena in NYC I miss that...

New York has stick and brick neighborhoods and communities, and LA does not... but LA's sense of community is virtual. Once you're plugged in, you're in. I'd recommend what I did to get hired as a screenwriter for a studio once (and it was accidental): happen to sit writing in the cafe where the post supervisor gets coffee every morning. The guy came and asked what I was writing, I said an action flick, he took a copy to the producer, bang, I was hired.

Another time, years before, when I was poor and struggling, a Korean-American lady friend remarked on how "kind and efficient" I was.

She talked her best friend, who ran a camera shop, into hiring me. That job lasted years and I loved it. Met Patrick Stewart, learned he was gay and giggles a lot, and stood in shock as Captain Picard, giggling, showed me photos of a boy party he threw where a teddy bear was on top of this guy's, er... fully alert appendage. Good times.

Be kind, be open, be friendly, find "a regular spot" to exhibit your skills in, and be frequent. Nature has a way of finding survival jobs for you if you do that. It kept ME alive.

Good luck.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:13 PM

6,805 posts, read 4,640,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenslyn Person View Post
She talked her best friend, who ran a camera shop, into hiring me. That job lasted years and I loved it. Met Patrick Stewart, learned he was gay and giggles a lot, and stood in shock as Captain Picard, giggling, showed me photos of a boy party he threw where a teddy bear was on top of this guy's, er... fully alert appendage. Good times.
Yeah, I hate that.

Here comes Picard.... Again.

With his boy toy photos..... Again.

That I have to look at.... Again.

And feign interest in.... Again.

And he won't look at my photos of Britneys vajajay.... Again.

As if he didn't get enough attention on ST:TNG.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:25 PM

32 posts, read 37,510 times
Lol, I'm not joking! He really did do this. I was very naive then about gay and straight and let us just say I was, um... notably surprised to find out!

Old 01-28-2013, 04:07 PM

6,805 posts, read 4,640,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenslyn Person View Post
Lol, I'm not joking! He really did do this. I was very naive then about gay and straight and let us just say I was, um... notably surprised to find out!
I believe ya. Just couldn't pass up the little joke.

I've mostly met pro athletes in adult clubs in Atlanta and Beverly Hills. And stayed in the same hotel in Sacramento with the Lakers when I was a kid.

But as to who is gay or not: nothing has surprised me since Rock Hudson died of AIDS.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:06 PM

14,752 posts, read 26,939,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Is it because he is overqualified? He has a BA in Economics from Rice University, so how the heck did he not get the job at the local paint store he applied for?
From NoHo, he can take the Metro subway downtown. He should apply for office jobs downtown. There's something to be said for a B.A. in Economics. They won't know Rice that well in L.A., so it won't wig them out unless he tells them it's a Southern Ivy. Look at all those high-rises downtown, or on Insurance Row along Wilshire, also on the Metro line (Red to Purple). I've always seen B.A. in Econ. types end up in cubicle jobs. That's what he should strive for, and not for jobs where a mere degree might intimidate someone.

Also, he can prepare two resumes, one for offices and one for blue collar jobs. Eff the employers. Tell him to lie. A white lie to get a job is perfectly ethical in a situation where someone is torqued by a degree.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:27 PM

76 posts, read 169,920 times
Econ is a hard enough major to qualify to tutor kids in the hills. $50 an hour to babysit a brat and force them to do their math homework.

Also, you can do online teaching for around $15 an hour to develop lessons.

And I guess the last thing might be to look at helping out someone who does tax prep, bookkeeping and accounting. That work is seasonal, but in between there might be some pickup work.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:39 AM

13,147 posts, read 12,908,518 times
Kind of discouraging!
It Takes a B.A. to Find a Job as a File Clerk - Yahoo! Finance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles