Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 12:03 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Well I'm 22, however I do have a plan and I'm just going to take whatever job that comes along first. Nothing is below me. However I wouldn't treat it like a vacation, just live normally. Because for me, failing is not an option.

Perhaps we are just looking at things differently.
A vaca is just a break from your current normal life. IE: If you move to CA and stay for 4 months and can't find a job and run out of money and have to move back with mom&dad then you can call it whatever you like.

Failing isn't the right word for not being able to live exactly where you want doing exactly what you want to do. Everyone compromises and whether it last 4 months or 40 years it's never failure to move on to other things in other places, it's just change..something different. "Living in LA" isn't really the end game for anyone, it's not something you fail at unless you set yourself up for it. I suggest you don't, that way you can do more things in life without feeling like a failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 05:48 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,414,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
A vaca is just a break from your current normal life. IE: If you move to CA and stay for 4 months and can't find a job and run out of money and have to move back with mom&dad then you can call it whatever you like.

Failing isn't the right word for not being able to live exactly where you want doing exactly what you want to do. Everyone compromises and whether it last 4 months or 40 years it's never failure to move on to other things in other places, it's just change..something different. "Living in LA" isn't really the end game for anyone, it's not something you fail at unless you set yourself up for it. I suggest you don't, that way you can do more things in life without feeling like a failure.
Then I suppose I just disagree. I have way more than 4 months of savings to live on. My point is, I would not treat it like a vacation as this move is so important to me as an individual that I cannot take the risk of spending more money than I should. I have saved up this money for a reason. I understand where you are coming from, but that way of thinking is not for me.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:00 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youthanasia View Post
Very expensive, very crowded but being in NY it shouldn't be much of a transition. A manual trans is fine, in those rush hour crawls just stay in 1st and give yourself a 4 car cushion and you can just drive like that without stopping most of the time but be careful because people will fly up on your bumper if you downshift instead of using your breaks because 98% of people out here drive autos and assume that brake lights = stop, they don't know how to judge objects in front of them for some reason.
A four car cushion invites every single douchebag to cut in front of you trying to get one car ahead traffic. Not the best advice.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:20 PM

193 posts, read 458,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
A four car cushion invites every single douchebag to cut in front of you trying to get one car ahead traffic. Not the best advice.
the 4 car cushion is maintained... let those morons pile up, I've always done it that way and never had an issue... I'll be going 7 mph and some clown wants to move one car ahead of the guy in his lane, jumps in front of me... I go down to 4mph until the cushion is there again then back to 7. I love lane jockeys, it's entertainment, especially when they rear end each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles